Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have just ordered a 1.2 Elegance Outdoor in Jungle green, I went for the LED lights and a couple of others extras.....

Question is....how much of the rear lights are LED?....just the night lights or is it brake and indicators too?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,832 Posts
I can't help but wonder if there are going to be problems with the increasing use of LEDs. I was recently behind a VW or Audi which applied its brakes at traffic lights in full daylight,both I and SWMBO were blinded, neither of use have sight problemsor cataracts. With bulbs there is a maximum wattage to avoid dazzleperhaps there needs to be limits on the power of LEDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Totally agree, especially those idiots who sit at junctions or traffic lights with foot on the brake and not selecting neutral and applying the hand brake as we are trained to do. Even the traditional bulbs are blinding, I find myself holding back by a car and a half in these cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Neilroadster said:
Hi, have just ordered a 1.2 Elegance Outdoor in Jungle green, I went for the LED lights and a couple of others extras.....

Question is....how much of the rear lights are LED?....just the night lights or is it brake and indicators too?
I should be able to let you know next week unless someone else posts a response in the meantime
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Just the Tail and Stop lights are LED
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Lobo said:
Totally agree, especially those idiots who sit at junctions or traffic lights with foot on the brake and not selecting neutral and applying the hand brake as we are trained to do. Even the traditional bulbs are blinding, I find myself holding back by a car and a half in these cases.

These so - called idiots probably drive an automatic and it is very normal to hold it on the footbrake. Also, with any car in front that does not have hill hold, it is a wise decision to leave at least a car and a half between you and them at junctions, rather than driving up their rear end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
I must admit, I didn't put a lot of thought or research into ordering LED rears as an option - like most folk I suspect, I just thought that they looked great!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,832 Posts
JOOKS said:
I must admit, I didn't put a lot of thought or research into ordering LED rears as an option - like most folk I suspect, I just thought that they looked great!

As long as you are happy with them that is all that counts, just remember the handbrake (automatics have one as well).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Holding the car on the foot brake shows poor thought for other road users, even before fancy things like hill control there was and still is a hand brake, use it and stop blinding the driver behind. Next we will forget to indicate our intentions of direction
Come on people, we have shown we have good sense by buying a Yeti, let us lead the way with our driving standards also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,326 Posts
paulthepedant said:
Don't you just love being in the presence of perfection??
So you agree with poor driving practices then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Llanigraham said:
paulthepedant said:
Don't you just love being in the presence of perfection??
So you agree with poor driving practices then?
No, I'm just a poor driver (who for many years rallied and have driven for 53 years without bump or endorsement) No intention of starting issues on here - sorry folks! Just been on another site and seen more than my share of pettiness, so I'll bow out on this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Got to agree with Lobo. That, and rear fog lights being left on, really gets on my nerves.

And don't mention badly adjusted headlights...

H jumps off the soapbox and quietly creeps away.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,326 Posts
Having been a rally driver and driven for 53 years actually just proves, as I have stated many times elsewhere, that people should consider taking a refresher course every now and then, especially as they get older. Things change but too many people get stuck in their old ways and aren't willing to change. Even Powys CC now offer a free course specifically to people over 60, to assess their driving and advise where they need to "improve".
Having done several driving course, advanced and others, I have found them very useful.



And I admit I'm not perfect!!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,832 Posts
I seem to have stirred up a can of worms which was not my intention. There is a maximum wattage for stop / tail lights which to some degreewith a normal bulb controls their level of brilliance, LED's produce a far more intense level of light at lover wattages, and so there may be a need to introduce some sort of measurement or control over their output. Regardless of a driver or cyclists good or bad habits the use of LED's is increasing, even an approaching cyclist using a strobing LED font light on an unlit country road can be quite awkward. At present LED's do not project light particularly well, but I remember reading some time ago that some one had found that if you give them a surface similar to a golf ball but at a far more minute level the projection problem was overcome but production costs were prohibitive. I expect eventually the projection problem will be overcome at a sustainable cost and filament bulbs will become less prevalent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
The Hood said:
I seem to have stirred up a can of worms which was not my intention. There is a maximum wattage for stop / tail lights which to some degreewith a normal bulb controls their level of brilliance, LED's produce a far more intense level of light at lover wattages, and so there may be a need to introduce some sort of measurement or control over their output. Regardless of a driver or cyclists good or bad habits the use of LED's is increasing, even an approaching cyclist using a strobing LED font light on an unlit country road can be quite awkward. At present LED's do not project light particularly well, but I remember reading some time ago that some one had found that if you give them a surface similar to a golf ball but at a far more minute level the projection problem was overcome but production costs were prohibitive. I expect eventually the projection problem will be overcome at a sustainable cost and filament bulbs will become less prevalent.
No problem Derek, but to others "Let him without sin lob the first half charlie" (with apologies to John 8:7)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
I hope that some may rub off on a few out there? If not then please drive safely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Nothing wrong with having strong views and ideas but it would be a great shame if this forum slid down hill towards "other" such places.I for one like the friendly, helpful and funnature of this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
JOOKS said:
Nothing wrong with having strong views and ideas but it would be a great shame if this forum slid down hill towards "other" such places.
I would concur with Jooks. All too often on these forums there are a few strong willed contributors who seem to have an opinion on most subjects, ridiculing and belittling other contributors that does nothing for the site. Please keep it positive and useful for all our benefit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Could not agree more, thanks for all comments
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top