Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This link is to two sites giving covid-19 statistics contained in several posts in this thread. Apologies for distorting this particular post, the link is placed here to make future reference easier.

Should the UK panic? No, Should we be concerned? yes, at least those over the age of 50 who are not so healthy, ( can't walk quickly/run a 1/2 mile without being seriously winded ),or those regardless of age who have an underlying health issue.

The young, 40 + and healthy, if they get it, it will just be bad cold like symptoms, they will recover, ( quicker ).

Eat more vegetables and a couple of oranges a day wouldn't go amiss. My kids, grand kids too are ramming the stuff down me, I feel like a vegetable plot, still it reassures them and it won't do my waist line or T2 any harm.

Those who have cleared the shelves of hand cleansers to help protect themselves and others, thoughtful or silly, those are anti- bacterial, this is a virus unleashed and will have no effect,--further-- such products are in case or should be used if you can't wash your hands with soap and water.

Increase soap and hand washes, which will help prevent spread and other nasties.

See someone spitting on the street, have a go if you can, I already have, vile disgusting behaviour from those that do, virus or no virus.

I'm not sure if we will get to epidemic numbers let alone pandemic with this virus but I do think our Government should bite the bullet and not allow mass gatherings of any size, just for 2 or 3 months.

Public toilets should be retro fitted with main swing doors.

And no, the police or the health service should not be given the powers to cart off those infected because they refuse to go into isolation wards.

Any who remember the awareness of HIV in the early 80s, in the UK and the suggestion by the media and politicians that known cases or just being gay should be incarcerated/isolated, such measures would not have had any affect, neither will doing so with this virus.

It's a virus, one of hundreds, not a nice one but it's out there, it will no doubt, tragically, has/have its victims before it tails off, leaving grief in its wake.

But it will run its course, we have our minor part to play, so let's play it and not wait for a vaccine.

Look after ourselves, look after those that are elderly/infirm or not able regardless of age, circumstances, not just family/relatives.

Lastly, on this virus, transparency from this or any other Government will be an action of the last resort--if ever.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Battling covid-19 is akin to fighting a war. The first casualty in any war is the Truth.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
There is not a lot we can do to protect ourselves, except for observing basic rules. So I'm not going to fly to Southern France to visit my sister, so avoiding airports and enclosed aircraft, until the infection is under control. Visiting large cities is not an issue as I've not been to anywhere other than York and London en-route to the Eurostar for nearly ten years. Large gatherings such as football matches, concert venues are not on my list, but I'd avoid them if I was so inclined. Finbar's advice regarding one's diet is sensible. I wash my hands regularly whilst quietly humming 'Happy Birthday' twice to allow sufficient time. My brother in law told me not to indulge in one of life's delights, popping bubble wrap, as it may contain Chinese air.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Excellent video about this
<iframe width="1064" height="624" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feel that the main thing that is panicking people is the unknown. Once we have got a handle on there being a number of people with the virus, we will know better how to deal with it and not be in fear and trembling at the name.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this one in here before, or someone else has? Here goes, anyway, as seems relevant to this thread.......

A friend of mine has 10 cars in his shed. 8 of them different variants on one particular make and model, plus two open top, 2-seater “sports” cars. One from the 70s, one the 2000s. Does that make him a “collector”? I don’t know, but he has recently been diagnosed with “carownervirus”!

Boom!

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Reading about the number of airlines that are cancelling flights now makes me wonder whether our holiday in Portugal in May is under risk.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18 month figures for a vaccine is a bit of a red herring. It might take 18 months to discover a candidate or several that might be suitable as a vaccine, it will take that + roll out for public protection.

So if we all hold our breaths for 3-5 years we might see one for this variant.

Meanwhile it is in our hands to slow greatly the spread of covid 19, so wash em'.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Administrator
13,634 Posts
I think the biggest problem with this illness is that no one has any resistance, so we will all probably get it, we just need to make sure it is not all at the same time. I wonder how resistant we will be when we get over out first encounter with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think the biggest problem with this illness is that no one has any resistance, so we will all probably get it, we just need to make sure it is not all at the same time. I wonder how resistant we will be when we get over out first encounter with it.
I agree Hood, it is a waiting game, like you I think we will all get a dose of it.

Tragically one lady has lost her life, who under other circumstances would have been considered getting on but perhaps not elderly.

While a moot point for her family and loved ones, she died with Covid, not from it, my understanding is she had more serious, ongoing health issues.

I too wonder how resistant we will be after our first encounter with it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Been playing golf today and on the 18th green two suggested no hand shakes, to me seemed a bit extreme. Now watching golf at the Arnold Palmer tournament in USA and all players shaking hands when finishing. They are not panicking in the US.

·
Administrator
13,634 Posts
It seems the hackers and scammers have latched on as well, just got this email from Norton. Obviously biased toward their product but it may be of interest/help to someone.

Cybercriminals are using concerns about the coronavirus to launch phishing attacks
Learn to identify and protect yourself against such attacks
What is Happening?
While COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus, is capturing attention around the world, cybercriminals are capitalizing on the public’s desire to learn more about the outbreak. There are reports of phishing scams that attempt to steal personal information or to infect devices with malware, and ads that peddle false information or scam products.
What Should You Do?
  1. If you are looking for information on the coronavirus, visit known reputable websites like the World Health Organization.
  2. Be on the lookout for phishing emails, which may appear to come from a trusted source. Remember, you can look at the sender’s details – specifically the part of the email address after the ‘@’ symbol – in the ‘From’ line to see if it looks legitimate.
  3. Be on the lookout for phishing emails, which may appear to come from a trusted source. Remember, you can look at the sender’s details – specifically the part of the email address after the ‘@’ symbol – in the ‘From’ line to see if it looks legitimate.
  4. Although social media companies like Facebook are cracking down on ads spreading coronavirus conspiracies and fake cures, some ads may make it past their review process. Remember, it’s best to seek information on the disease from official sources like those mentioned above.
  5. If you’re interested, read our article on spotting and protecting yourself against phishing attacks.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Any members who are involved with the Freemasonry movement will know that handshakes are indeed a fundamental part of the rituals and several ceremonial procedures. At Lodge earlier this evening, we were having fun, developing our own, Masonic version of an elbow bump. :D
As well as applying the practice that alcohol is a good virus killer. Till someone explained that you are supposed to put the alcohol on your hands.... :rolleyes: (n) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
The latest news is that IF it turns into a pandemic UP TO 80% MAY get it, but not all at the same time.
If I get it I am in the sh*t. I'm 74 and had an M.I. 17 years ago which has compromised my lungs. However, my imune system appears to be pretty good. I have NEVER had 'flu and I can't remember the last time I caught a cold.
I will say goodbye to all if I get any symptomsd!??

Reactions: onlyme

·
Registered
456 Posts
As an overweight asthmatic with t2 diabetes, having survived lung cancer, a tumour on my left one, two bouts of H1N1 flu, and having my right knee rebuilt after a whoopsie in Bosnia, oh and currently being looked at for lymphoma, I am usually washing my hands more then most anyway. Unfortunately I work in retail and spend most of my time handling other people's money. I cringe when I see people approaching with hands down pants, and women pulling their money from bras and even pants on warmer nights.
Wish me luck

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Good Luck! (y)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I caused a bit of upset today among my family and more if they read this.

I purchased a washable face mask, let me tell you, I feel self conscious and look like a XXXX wearing it.

It's a little tight but comfortable and wraps around my head, Chinese heads are a bit small when they take measurements pre-manufacture.

I purchased it not because it will protect me or anyone from me from Covid, I did so because it was pointed out how often I touch my face,--never realised.

Indoors it won't matter, my hands are washed, it's when I'm out or driving.

My mask is to prevent-remind me from doing so.

I thought it best not to mention the ones, ( at least yet ), I purchased for them after one of the grand kids started crying after I put it on.:cry:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Handling Cash? Buy latex gloves! I bought 100 from Screwfix for £6.99 You can get white or clear.
I keep a very careful mental note of anything I touch outside of home. But I don't touch any public door handles with a bare hand, I pull my sleeve down to open doors towards me or elbow and push for those opening away from me. Any buttons, cash dispenmsers, card readers,bent knuckles. Public loo flushes, buttons, knuckes, handles I use my foot!!
I am at double risk being 74 and having had a herat attack resulting in compromised lungs.
Keep safe everyone!, .

1 - 20 of 160 Posts