Yeti Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
4,575 Posts
Well that's worked. Made me thing Covid-19 getting me isn't too bad after all.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
A report I picked up on last night concerning Ibuprofen from French authorities I believe, concerning the taking of it in regards to Covid, possibly doing more harm then good.

It has been commented on by the Health Authority's here in the UK, they have not said stop, but I think agree with the concerns.

Ibuprofen has anti-inflammatory properties,( Paracetamol does not ), for that to work it has to supress the immune system to a degree which is not ideal in the current crisis.

I suspect we will now start to see shelves once again with plenty of Ibuprofen and going cheep online by those who stock piled and off loading.

Prats!

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Paracetamol available Tesco Branksome, (POOLE)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hmmm,

About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased some digital ear thermometers for the family, well know brand, Omron.

Got an issue with one of them, nothing a new battery won't fix but phoned Omron for a plastic cover only they can supply,--if they can.

While the phone was answered I was told I couldn't speak to anyone as they had shut shop for 4 weeks at least.

Omron is a major health product care supplier to all. I understand their fears but how about a bit of resilience, not jump overboard and take care of their consumers where they can.

Damnn sure even Omron could have had a few people in separate office rooms or working from home, man phones and fulfill orders/replacements where they could.

Perhaps I ask to much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am in my mid '70s and have a very compromised immune system. My wife and I have been self isolating for a week now but about two weeks ago our Yeti was booked in for an MOT and service today with courtesy car provided. I called the garage earlier in the week to see if they could pick and return our car but unfortunately they were totally committed for uplifts. I told them I would deliver the car on the understanding that the handover/paperwork be done in the carpark. They confirmed this would be arranged.

I turned up this morning and as arranged, mask & vinyl gloves on and phoned them from their carpark. The girl asked "is that Mr Campbell" and I confirmed. The regular service reception chap appeared with all his paperwork and opened the passenger door, laying they paperwork on the seat. He asked my to sign the usual paperwork then lifted it back out the car. A mechanic appeared with the courtesy car (a brand new Octavia estate) and the reception chap immediately wiped down the steering wheel, gear lever, door handles, dash switches and the key, then called me over and I was on my way home in about 5 minutes all in.

The pick up was even simpler, I had been phoned to say my car was ready and I paid the bill over the phone so when I got to the garage I parked next to my Yeti which again had been wiped down, ready for me. Again the paperwork was laid in the passenger seat for me to uplift and I was straight into the Yeti and on my way home.

Great service and reasuring in a difficult situation. Full marks to West End Skoda in Dunfermline for their customer care in these challenging times. That's me locked down indoors again.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Great service from your dealer and I'm impressed, both about your actions and their response. Good luck. Jimmy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The Government today released it emergency legislation, all 321 pages of it.

Like or lump what it contains, it is the Governments response to this crises and it is wide sweeping.

However what I was concerned to hear was these powers are in place for two years and nothing mentioned about reviews.

While I have never believed, as many others, this pandemic will be over in 6 months, a year.

But 2 years and no reviews of emergency powers, this is going to be abused by the powers that be and I fear will be unjustly used in many cases.

·
Administrator
4,575 Posts
Following up from Finbar's post on ibuprofen scientists in the family are telling me that similar issues are suspected with ACE inhibitors taken by some diabetics and hypertension sufferers. If you take these please be extra careful in your self-isolation, but do not stop taking any prescribed medication without reference to your doctor.

The links between ACE inhibitors and Covid-19 severity are not yet proven but it is an area of a lot of investigation to explain why diabetic and hypertension sufferers have seen higher mortality rates in both China and Italy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
IMO it is inevitable at least 75% of the population is going to go down with Covid 19 to some degree or another at some point.

The spiel being spun, the many measures being undertaken to protect the elderly, the vulnerable is bullshittt , the reality is they are not being/can't be protected, they are in essence being asked to hide and die, if possible with little complaint. Those to old, vulnerable, ill in hospital, many will die.

You have a 75 year old on a ventilator, struggling and a couple of 40 year olds or younger who can survive on balance of probabilities with the aid of a ventilator 90 minutes on and off between them,—well you can see where I’m going with this.

There are several shades of transparity and this country is being fed a smoked glass version of it and this will continue until the obvious, the drip fed inevitability of what may come becomes the transparity.

Regardless of all the cheep money borrowed and what this will cost the Government, the money saved on not paying out on state pensions and other benefits, the final toll, years down the line, it will be win, win whom ever is in power.

Protecting the elderly, the infirm, the vulnerable--it's all bolllocks and none of us should be believing it.

·
Administrator
13,464 Posts
A more logical way of looking at it is, yes almost everyone will get it. The idea is to slow it down and prolong the process, so that some nurses, doctors, electricity/water workers, dustmen etc. get sick along with some ordinary people and there is someone left to look after them. Then when the carers get sick those who have already gone through it or not had it yet, will look after them and so on. Otherwise the lights will go out, there will be no staff to stack toilet rolls, no undertakers for the dead. Yes there will be people who die but how many would have died with the virus, rather than from it, and would have died anyway? I bet the statistics for deaths by heart attack, COPD and diabetes etc show a steep decline over the same period.
Unless there is a vaccine found, or it burns itself out like SARS it needs to be almost like a production line illness.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hood, will you start a thread where members can post when they have symptoms or think they have symptoms, and let us know. Others can keep in touch with support, Its getting scary. It would have more authority coming from you or Snow.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
A more logical way of looking at it is, yes almost everyone will get it. The idea is to slow it down and prolong the process, so that some nurses, doctors, electricity/water workers, dustmen etc. get sick along with some ordinary people and there is someone left to look after them. Then when the carers get sick those who have already gone through it or not had it yet, will look after them and so on. Otherwise the lights will go out, there will be no staff to stack toilet rolls, no undertakers for the dead. Yes there will be people who die but how many would have died with the virus, rather than from it, and would have died anyway? I bet the statistics for deaths by heart attack, COPD and diabetes etc show a steep decline over the same period.
Unless there is a vaccine found, or it burns itself out like SARS it needs to be almost like a production line illness.
I understand what you write Hood, the logic/outcome being to flatten the peak--so to speak in this round, it makes a reasoned sense.

But the some, you write of, the ordinary, very little of it includes the elderly, the vulnerable when it comes to survival and the resources to be spent on this large group of people.

That's the BS I write of, banging on about protecting the elderly, it's nonsense.

In an earlier post I had already alluded to dying with and not from this virus and I have no doubt there will be many, some young, most elderly in this category.

But you just have to listen to our frontline medical teams, all over the world, the frustration that so many and those yet to come, ( underlying conditions included ), they could have saved and have to let go.

I think I'm right Hood, the elderly, infirm, the vulnerable, the spiel about protecting them--is just that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It would seem that China's strategy of testing and suppression has been pretty successful if you look at the various studies online. The Government's initial 'herd immunity' thinking is now seen as reckless with care services overwhelmed in a very short time-frame. In any case there will be a degree of collateral damage as some of those who are heart attack or accident victims will die due to limited paramedic/ambulance delays, and lack of ICU facilities when they do reach hospital.
There is a mass of information online of course, and the paper produced by Imperial College is worth looking at even if you only read the summary.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
IMO it is inevitable at least 75% of the population is going to go down with Covid 19 to some degree or another at some point.

The spiel being spun, the many measures being undertaken to protect the elderly, the vulnerable is bullshittt , the reality is they are not being/can't be protected, they are in essence being asked to hide and die, if possible with little complaint. Those to old, vulnerable, ill in hospital, many will die.

You have a 75 year old on a ventilator, struggling and a couple of 40 year olds or younger who can survive on balance of probabilities with the aid of a ventilator 90 minutes on and off between them,—well you can see where I’m going with this.

There are several shades of transparity and this country is being fed a smoked glass version of it and this will continue until the obvious, the drip fed inevitability of what may come becomes the transparity.

Regardless of all the cheep money borrowed and what this will cost the Government, the money saved on not paying out on state pensions and other benefits, the final toll, years down the line, it will be win, win whom ever is in power.

Protecting the elderly, the infirm, the vulnerable--it's all bolllocks and none of us should be believing it.
You ARE a cheerful bugga aren't you. I don't think you should spread fear and despondency like this. There is quite enough rumour mongering going around as it is.:eek:
What we need is more positivity, more lightheartedness. There is nothing any of us can do except take as much care of ourselves as possible and get onwith our restricted lives. One thing Boris said that is quite true. We WILL come out the other side of this trauma!
I am a realist. My eldest son, self employed ,is already on the brink of bankruptcy and the other one works for a huge well known Motor Yacht company has already had a complete company, top to bottom 50% salary cut and is threatened with redundancy after 24 years service.
I cannot be doing with glass half empty doom mongers and YES I AM 74 with history of M.I.
All this 'misery speak' will result in huge mental health problems.
I Spoke to my GP yesterday and he assured me I was doing precisely the right thing, keeping a balance between safety and sanity. Walk the dog on the beach or other lightly populated area, keep 'social distancing from anyone I meet. don't mix with family or friends. Shop once a week at 06.00. and wear latex gloves when shopping, refuelling etc and when touching anything touched by others, (door handles, touch screens etc. wash hands frequently.)
BTW the word you were looking for is.....transparency.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts