Yeti Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Thank you Colin, transparency is the word.

Sorry to read of your sons, like for many it can't be easy for them, things are, will get difficult.

Fear and despondency is not something I'm spreading or my intent, I am expressing my point of view as I see things on this forum/thread, a great read and informative, the forums but I very much doubt anything I have to say or write has any impact.

Yes, most will survive, BJ was stating the obvious but that was not the gist of my post, surviving will be the reward at the end of what will, is a very painful, large stick for all of us.

And I think you are wrong, there is much we can do, the most important being not to take our eyes off the balls this Government is juggling with.

The reality of this dreadful pandemic, at its end, is life and liberty is going to,will have changed

Our UK Government, the King makers, power brokers within it will take full advantage of this misery, distraction and make hay while the sun shines, at people's expense if we allow them to.

So this talk of the relaxing of emergency powers when there is a large light at the end of the tunnel this will happen but not their removal, that is a club to big, to useful to lay down, to give up at the end of two years and a ball none of us should take our eyes off.

This talk of protecting the elderly, the vulnerable, it's a sound bite and imo an empty one.

Reactions: Pidgeonpost

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've said before, though maybe in a different thread, I'm sceptical about politicians. Few seem to be straight, many seem in it for themselves, and in general I don't trust the blighters. When it comes to the current government it wouldn't matter to me what colour badges they were wearing - blue, red, orange, I don't trust them at all. For me Johnson leaves much to be desired as a leader, and he and his cabinet seem to be under undue influence from political advisors.
These advisors are likely, as Finbar suggests, to take full advantage of the current situation to further their questionable ends however well-intentioned some of the government's proposed measures are intended to be; we've seen it already.
On Monday the government intends to push through the Coronavirus Bill in double-quick time, and with no review for 2 years. Speed is of the essence, but inadequate time for proper scrutiny for a bill that gives the State such massive powers, with no reviews is pretty scary stuff. Once such a bill is in place we could be stuck with it and its consequences for a very long time.
This is one of several articles that warn of this.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Remember Income Tax was introduced as a temporary measure.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Thank you Colin, transparency is the word.

Sorry to read of your sons, like for many it can't be easy for them, things are, will get difficult.

Fear and despondency is not something I'm spreading or my intent, I am expressing my point of view as I see things on this forum/thread, a great read and informative, the forums but I very much doubt anything I have to say or write has any impact.

Yes, most will survive, BJ was stating the obvious but that was not the gist of my post, surviving will be the reward at the end of what will, is a very painful, large stick for all of us.

And I think you are wrong, there is much we can do, the most important being not to take our eyes off the balls this Government is juggling with.

The reality of this dreadful pandemic, at its end, is life and liberty is going to,will have changed

Our UK Government, the King makers, power brokers within it will take full advantage of this misery, distraction and make hay while the sun shines, at people's expense if we allow them to.

So this talk of the relaxing of emergency powers when there is a large light at the end of the tunnel this will happen but not their removal, that is a club to big, to useful to lay down, to give up at the end of two years and a ball none of us should take our eyes off.

This talk of protecting the elderly, the vulnerable, it's a sound bite and imo an empty one.
So is that why 1.5 million peeps 'at medical risk' will be getting a letter 'strongly' advising' the recipients NOT to venture out for 12 weeks?
Are the government just wasting £750,000 sending out these letter for fun then?

I appreciate your points of view, everyone is entitled to have their own Ps O V.
I believe that the colour of our politics may be different. A again, everyone is entitled to follow whichever party they think fit.
All I can say, finally, is THANK GOD the labour party are not in control of this fiasco! Drinking parties in breweries and the ability to organise same, spring to mind.? ;)
I am ashamed to admit that I was impressed with what McDonnell had to say the other day but the soon Corbyn stops screaming insults across the house and retires the better. Roll on Starmer as Labour leader!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Colin - before we get too political again, let's not forget that all the big spend (like 85%) of the last Labour government, was to bail out the most capitalist institutions on earth - the banks. The amounts that the current Con government are spending to keep the economy alive right now - will require government borrowing levels that will make the bank bail out look like the epitome of prudence by comparison. Lest see how it all rolls out before we count to cost though. Totally agree with you on Keir Starmer! By the far the best of a rotten crowd. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The amounts that the current Con government are spending to keep the economy alive right now - will require government borrowing levels that will make the bank bail out look like the epitome of prudence by comparison. Totally agree with you on Keir Starmer! By the far the best of a rotten crowd. :)
Quite so. Had Labour now been in power and promising a similar spend the Tories would be howling about them bankrupting the country.

·
Registered
708 Posts
and for those who really like numbers....or who really don't like the numbers........

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Can'
Coronavirus Bill being passed "on the nod", so no amendments allowed, and no proper vote. That scares me more th a the virus.
Now off to work View attachment 3502
?Can't you just tape your magnificent beard up over your mouth and nose??

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
and for those who really like numbers....or who really don't like the numbers........
That URL is absolutely fascinating. Specially if you click on all the buttons to get all sorts of details.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
So is that why 1.5 million peeps 'at medical risk' will be getting a letter 'strongly' advising' the recipients NOT to venture out for 12 weeks?
Are the government just wasting £750,000 sending out these letter for fun then?
No, they are not wasting 3/4 million, they are having to do this, it is imperative the goverment have taken this action and the support that goes with it.

As an aside, 3/4 million wasted by any Government would be a pittance.

Be that as it may the point I'm making is the above action is not protecting, it is locking 1.5 million away because a vast number of that figure, can't be protected by the very service supposed to. The way this is being spun then drip fed is dishonest, transparency was never ever intended.

I believe that the colour of our politics may be different. A again, everyone is entitled to follow whichever party they think fit.
Perhaps, the politics in my blood is pretty blue.

All I can say, finally, is THANK GOD the labour party are not in control of this fiasco! Drinking parties in breweries and the ability to organise same, spring to mind.? ;)
I'm reasonably sure the Labour party is singing the same praise, not on our watch--who can blame them.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Well I've upset one of the Midget FB pages today, criticise those that took there cars out today for a run in the sun. How many times have we heard "essential travel only"? Sorry, but going for a run is NOT that.

And why am I pissed off about it? Because this afternoon I spent 45 minutes caring for an 88 year old lady who had a stroke and then a cardiac arrest, resulting in us having to do CPR, whilst we waited for an ambulance to arrive, since both of our ambulances were out at RTC's we now know were involving non-local motorists!

·
Registered
708 Posts
(serious suggestion?)

Dear Moderators
Perhaps isolate posts 110 and 112 under a separate thread, so that these useful links do not get lost in the crowd?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Bournemouth prom yesterday (in the national press today.) selfish bastards on parade. Strange idea of 2 metres! All that sand and they have to 'clump' up on the prom. Selfish MORONS.
1584958952946.png

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
(serious suggestion?)Dear Moderators
Perhaps isolate posts 110 and 112 under a separate thread, so that these useful links do not get lost in the crowd?
The site linked in post 112 is also linked in 110, and the top one in 110 is also in 107. With that in mind and we also already have two covid-19 threads I have put a link to post 110 in the opening post of this thread. So to find those links go to post No1 of this thread here

101 - 120 of 160 Posts