Yeti Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Lack of specific testing and analysis kits for Covid-19. Most of what were available prior to March have been used up by China, Italy, Spain and the US. How do they roll-out testing with no test kits to use? F1 teams were offering to manufacture kits and ventilators. They have ability to manufacture novel items in high tech composites, etc. I have no idea if they were taken up on the offer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lack of specific testing and analysis kits for Covid-19. Most of what were available prior to March have been used up by China, Italy, Spain and the US. How do they roll-out testing with no test kits to use? F1 teams were offering to manufacture kits and ventilators. They have ability to manufacture novel items in high tech composites, etc. I have no idea if they were taken up on the offer.
Surely the answer is 'don't be late to the party' ? Of course the demand is huge, and we're now in the queue, but we'd have been nearer the front had action been taken in late January or early Feb. NHS staff must be bricking it having face this situation every day.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Surely the answer is 'don't be late to the party' ? Of course the demand is huge, and we're now in the queue, but we'd have been nearer the front had action been taken in late January or early Feb. NHS staff must be bricking it having face this situation every day.
To some extent, that’s easy to say with 20/20 hind sight. The Chinese were first to the party of course. On the other hand, I did read a report today (Might have been on the BBC web site?), that said in 2017, the NHS authorities did apply to purchase a strategic supply of disposable viral exclusion gowns, gloves, masks, etc. For the use of front line NHS staff in the event of a widespread outbreak of anything. But the application was blocked as too costly by Theresa May’s government. I don’t know if that is true, or if it applied to viral testing kits. But it seems plausible? Especially considering Mrs May’s penchant for cutting costs when she was at the Home Office. Cutting 30% of police numbers was one of the achievements that got her elected as Tory leader.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
There is not a doubt in my mind the Chinese knew about this virus much early then they let on.

Be that as it may what has become clear to me, all be it a simplistic view, is how utterly unprepared our NHS was.

Of course no country saw this coming but if it has exposed anything it is the utter lies and deceit this country was told about the state of our NHS.

We all knew our NHS was under funded--we knew this but it was the constant spouting by our Governments that while it recognised the NHS could do with more funds, it wasn't doing so bad.

We knew the deceit but hoped for something else.

But what is apparent to me is the degree, the mismanagement of our NHS, where were the well paid administrators?

It is clear even without this pandemic, even a mini epidemic our NHS whould have been overwhelmed, so utterly under resourced and equipped it is.

No country could have enough ventilators but to read this country had one ventilator per 100,000. head of population is staggering, outrageous, criminal..

I accept to use such equipment takes trained personnel but that is no excuse to fall back on, Nurses, Front Liners can be bought up to speed on such things, not ideal, deaths would happen through lack of experience but 1 in every 100,000 per head of population.

We all have or know people who really are at the front end and I'm no different.

If what I'm told is accurate, early this month the whole of the UK had less then 20,000 face masks, useless that they are, a well stocked supply would have been something.

There are more effective ones, under 3000 were available.

As for more extensive PPE, the lack off, I sit here seething.

This is our NHS, our nurses, our doctors, our carers to be relied on, and they have been so badly let down.

For entirely different reasons however I am getting sick to death of the constant kiss arsing of the police, medical staff,, key workers and so on being spouted by this Government, Media,, Politicians and others, it's not kidding me, I'm sick of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can you believe it?
Day before yesterday, 7 men with merc's, R/Rovers, BM's were intercepted on Turnberry lighthouse road, to play golf. Abuse to staff and police for spoiling their proposed game, and told to go back home... to Glasgow!!
😠

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Oh I can well believe it!
And is exactly why we now have Police road blocks on many major roads into Wales from England!!
I understand that Devon & Cornwall Police are doing exactly the same thing.

And an interesting one from locally, they are threatening to issue Sect 59 Notices (PRA 2002) on miscreant motorists, which means that if they get caught a second time their vehicles can be impounded and destroyed or sold.
LINK

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
There we go, one of the first abuse legislation/ powers section 59 was not intended to be used for and may be interpreted as being ok to use with the current crises.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I understand that Devon & Cornwall Police are doing exactly the same thing.
They are, although the CC has said that issuing tickets/fines is a last resort. People who have been driving into Dartmoor N/Park for their exercise have been 'discouraged' quite effectively.
One reported incident was people who were driving somewhere to get beer and cigs. They were told by the police that this was an unnecessary journey and turned back.
In another, a man driving a motorhome was stopped at the Devon border by police and sent back to Birmingham. Police said the driver's actions were 'not in the spirit of fighting the virus'.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ve been out and about today, on the river. Never seen it so quiet. All the hire boat fleets back in their yards. No private boat owners moving around. A handful of ‘liveaboard’ boats hunkered down in sheltered wild moorings. Normally this would be the first really busy weekend of the season on the Norfolk Broads. Today I was the only thing moving.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I’ve been out and about today, on the river. Never seen it so quiet. All the hire boat fleets back in their yards. No private boat owners moving around. A handful of ‘liveaboard’ boats hunkered down in sheltered wild moorings. Normally this would be the first really busy weekend of the season on the Norfolk Broads. Today I was the only thing moving.
You will have the river police after you if not an essential trip, unless you were going to get supplies or a pump out! Certainly not for excercise?

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
There we go, one of the first abuse legislation/ powers section 59 was not intended to be used for and may be interpreted as being ok to use with the current crises.
Well I see no problem with them threatening to issue Sect 59 Notices, What these people are doing is:
1/ Anti-social
2/ Inconsiderate
3/ Likely to cause harm or distress to local residents
which seems to fit all the criteria of issuing such Notices.
And as said, this is a THREAT.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
You will have the river police after you if not an essential trip, unless you were going to get supplies or a pump out! Certainly not for excercise?
Bob is a Norfolk Broads Warden, so he's allowed.
Last seen his boat's even got a flashy blue light!

·
Administrator
13,456 Posts
MY sister, Brother-in-law and Niece are all in the NHS, working in Hospitals, Aldershot, Frimley and Bournemouth.

My sister who is in dentistry almost certainly has Covid-19 and feels as if she has been run down by a car.
My brother-in-law who is involved in Chemotherapy is self isolating.
My Niece who seems to be O.K. is a Pharmacist at Bournemouth and is directly involved with infected patients which she is finding highly upsetting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I‘m a Ranger in the Broads National Park. It’s my job to keep people safe on the rivers. Normally that means giving advice to lots of novice (and sometimes more experienced) boaters, and occasionally enforcing the Navigation Byelaws on issues such as speeding or navigating without care and caution. We’re still working; a) to check people are not breaking the unnecessary travel guidelines (encouraging them to go home) but b) and more importantly at the moment, keeping an eye on those who live aboard boats on the Broads. Many of these are here because they can’t afford a home on land, and are living on pretty run down, dilapidated and leaky old boats. Many have social, physical and/or mental health problems. At the moment, because most of the boatyards and riverside businesses are closed down, they’re having problems accessing water, fuel, sewage pumpouts and food. It’s my job to check up on them, if only with a friendly wave, and give advice about where they might find supplies. If necessary I will notify our safeguarding officer, to inform Social Services or Police if we think they’re at immediate risk.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It’s not a bad office; normally as I travel round in it, I get lots of “I’d love your job” comments. If they could see the other side of the job they might not be so keen, it’s not all swanning around on a shiny white launch. That’s me in the middle!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Well I see no problem with them threatening to issue Sect 59 Notices, What these people are doing is:
1/ Anti-social
2/ Inconsiderate
3/ Likely to cause harm or distress to local residents
which seems to fit all the criteria of issuing such Notices.
And as said, this is a THREAT.
1) no it's not
2) it is all of that and would add all the expletives but shan't for such prats.
3) so is a dog on a leash and its owner coughing, depending on the residents.

It is a threat, but it is unlikely to ever disappear, it is with us to stay and is joining a long list of other viruses as bad, I don't remember section 59 being used or threatened in Salisbury.

But all of us need to reason.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts