Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an Octavia VRS diesel estate, just over 3 years old, 55,000 miles. I've had it since new, no problems at all. I'm working myself up to replace it to mitigate the risk of future maintenance bills.

I'm considering a Yeti diesel, either 140 or 170. I wondered if there were my thoughts on which engine best suits the car? I have the 170 in the Octavia, but do I need it in a Yeti? I don't tow or carry a roof box if that matters.

My next question is about DSG. I was in two minds about it on the Octavia. Any thoughts about it on the Yeti with the 140 diesel?

Finally, L&K vs Elegance. I like the idea of satnav, heated windscreen and park assist. But the extra cost is quite a lot. And do I really have to pay another £200 for DAB?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
HiThe 140 DSG has the 6 speed oil immersed box, from reports of owners of the model it does have a slight downward effect on the MPG over the manual.

The 170 only supplied as a manual is a good match for the VRS and will give a good MPG. If driven with feeling it can return a better MPG than the 140 manual.

Edited by: wakev

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
I have the 140 and have covered 17000 miles in just over a year, using a calculator and refill quantities I have achieved just over 51 mpg overall.

I would strongly advise getting a heated screen (I didn't)

I have Park Assist mainly for SWMBO (who I am glad to say refuses to drive the car until it gets a dent)it is rarely used, and I would not include it next time although the front sensors are usefull.

I use a Tom Tom sat nav, which can be moved from car to car, removed when not in use and is regularly updated and only cost £150 with UK and Western Europe. I also think from comments made by others that it is probably easier to use and more accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 140 SE 4x4 with rough road pack as i live on a farm.I get a prety constant 48mpg out of it without really paying much attention to economy. I don't have a lead foot, but I don't creep around at 40mph either. This includes a fair amount of 80'ish motorway driving. I find that cruise control gives the best economy on long runs (and is less stressful).
The heated screen is a must, the parking sensors I originally thought were a gimmick are ace. Get lumbar supports as the standard seats tend tolet you slump a bit (it might just be me).

I use my mobile with a free app as a satnav (or a map book) and have a 32Gb memory card with more music than I will ever listen to.

I find the manual box a peach, smooth and positive with well spaced ratios. Even in 6th it will pick up very nicely for an overtake.

Get mudflaps.

Park assist? Really?

I still haven't worked out how to use the cargo net system in the boot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We have the 110 bhp TDi which I find distinctly lacking in top end grunt. So much so that if we still have the car when the warranty expires a re-chip will be considered. Agree with other comments about gearbox, cargo net etc. Also I have mentioned it before but to reiterate I personnally don't like the brakes. This has been highlighted by others on this and other forums. It has been suggested that a re-program of the electronics controling the servo makes things better (by increasing the servo assistance)but I don't see this as a solution. The car needs more swept braking area ie, bigger discs. Apparently the discs from the 140bhp model along with that models caliper carriers are a straight swop so that may be something for the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like heated screen is well liked. Still wondering about driveability of DSG versus manual.

I bought my Ocavia from Rainworth Mansfield after they matched the Drive The Deal price - I think they were the DTD dealers at the time. My local dealer couldn't get anywhere near. I notice that DTD aren't showing Skoda at the moment. Any thoughts on another broker or dealer to approach for the best price including PX?

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
If you did not want to wait there have been a couple of Yeti's advertised on here. Truthseeker advertised his urban with under 5000 miles on the clock. I should imagine that it was been cosseted as during the winter it was covered up and he used his wife's car. I don't know if he has sold it yet you could always send him a pm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have a Yeti but I did have a 170TDI DSG Scirocco.

The 170 engine is a peach as you know, and I thought the DSG box works really well with a diesel. Silky smooth changes if you leave it in Auto and lots of Flexibility if you choose to go manual. Brilliant in traffic as well.
Overall I thought the DSG was an excellent system and I wouldn't hasten to have it again but I know a lot of people don't get on with it at all.

I've driven a couple of cars with the 7 speed DSG (dry) and I didn't like it as much as the 6 speed (wet) so if the yeti comes with the 6 speed thats a thumbs up from me.

The park assist (I assume you mean the auto parking system) is amazing the way it works (had it on a courtesy Tiguan) and if you do a lot of parallel parking it could well be worth it. However its really expensive and if you don't do much parallel parking then its definitely not worth the cash for the gimmick. The nav system it comes with for me wasn't very easy to use compared to an after market system and the actually sound of the stereo is no better than the standard set-up either.
Not sure how much it is for a Skoda but in a VW its a £2000 extra and is not worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi the 140 TDI has the 6 speed wet DSG, the 1.2 TSI has the 7 speed dry DSG. As for the nav I would use a after market one cheaper to upgrade and can be used in more than one car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your thoughts. I've continued my research and visited a couple of dealers, though not discussed price yet. I think I'm settled on the 140 with DSG but not yet decided between Elegance and L & K. There's also the difficult question of colour....... not helped by how few cars there are at my local dealrs.

Any thoughts on how the L & K wheels match with different colours, the L & K leather vs the Elegance leather, and finally how easy lor otherwise it is to keep the lighter coloured leather (sand) on the Elegance clean.

Many thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts