Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter yesterday from SKODA UK Customer Services explaining that my local dealer in Pickering where I live no longer holds the SKODA franchise, which according to SKODA is by mutual agreement. I was a bit dismayed by this, and as I have a service plan with the dealer, gave them a call today.
What a surprise to learn that it wasNOT by mutual agreement at all, SKODA have pulled the plug for reasons unknown. This is from a helpful, friendly dealership that appears to be performing very well; in fact three times the expected figures according to the person I spoke to; and one that I certainly don't have any problems with. What on earth are SKODA up to?
SKODA say that 'my motoring needs are of the utmost importance to them'. Who are they trying to kid. There are a significant number of Skoda owners in this area who will now have to travel some distance to visit an authorised dealer, and I should think those that have just purchased a new Skoda (Yeti or other) will not be happy knowing they cannot drop their car in for service or warranty work just round the corner.
This is not good news at all, and I can see SKODA losing quite a lot of business up here; it has certainly put me off. Has anybody else received similar letters, from this area or elsewhere?

·
Registered
20 Posts
maybe it's not Skoda at all perhaps, if as you say, their sales figures are as good as they tell you, that might just impact a nearby Volkswagon dealership. As we all know Volkswagon have the last say, so I would suggest you ask at you're nearest Volkswagon about your servicing as they are the parent company. If there isn't a Volkswagon dealership in the vicinity don't worry there soon will be

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be onto something there Fat Ted, but the nearest VW dealer is still about 20-25 miles away near Scarborough, not a massive distance, but enough to be inconvenient. Besides, the list of authorised garages that SKODA sent with the original letter gave one in York as being the nearest, and there is a VW dealer not too far from them, so I am still a little bemused as to what is going on.
Fortunately for me, I took out a service plan withthe garage I boughtmy Yeti from; Chapmans of Pickering; soI am not tied to SKODA, and as my warranty expired 2-3 months ago I can go where I like. It is the people that have only recently ordered or received there cars that I feel sorry for, what are they supposed to do?
It doesn'tseem to be very forward planning or have the owners best interests in consideration.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My local dealer has also recently closed. I found this out when trying to book a service with them and I coudn't find any mention of Skoda on their website. I didn't buy my car from them so had no relationship with them. I'm lucky that an equally local (Watford) VW dealership has taken over their Skoda service and sales...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chapmans used to be Subaru as well but gave that up. I bought a Subaru from them 5 years ago and have regularly used them for servicing several makes. However, when I went to buy my Skoda off them 6 months ago I was not impressed by their reps and got a much better deal 30 miles away! Still awaiting delivery though!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I was reading an article a while back that mentioned that VW exec's were concerned that Skoda was becoming too independent (ie powerful) and straying away from VW by trying to go down their own path. I am wondering if this might be true and that VW are trying to bring them back into the "family group" (ie more under control) by exerting a greater degree of power over Skoda. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My closest dealer is 300km's away and they are a Skoda and VW dealership with the vehicles sharing the same lot, hope they don'tclose down the next one is 1100km's away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My local Skoda Dealer is part of the Blade Group, which operates around Bristol, Gloucestershire, and into Wiltshire. They deal with all the VW franchises, including Audi, VW and Skoda, and some motorcycle dealerships. VW must be happy with this situation, presumably.Doesn't help the unfortunate individuals where their dealers have closed/lost the franchise, however.
I can recommend my Dealer, however, should anyone in my part of the world need a good one. I've dealt with them for 25 years now, and wouldn't keep going back if they didn't come up to scratch.

Tim Jeal

·
Registered
471 Posts
Pattern seems to repeat itself with most car franchises.Small often helpful & friendly garages take on a franchise with low volume or unknown product, build up the loyal customer base often through stella service and then when a certain volume or market penetration is reached they loose the franchise. However I must add that I have no knowledge of the dealer under discussion.
Skoda UK has discussed in the trade press its preference for dealer groups to take on its "open points".
Seems a great shame and shows a poor understanding of what customers like & need to be retained.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts