Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've had an e mail from SPG law saying they can't continue with this claim and it's being forwarded to Milberg law. Has anyone had something similar?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had an e mail from SPG law saying they can't continue with this claim and it's being forwarded to Milberg law. Has anyone had something similar?
Last email was 8/04/20 advised of update to present position, still handling case

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dated 04/05/2020

Re: The VW NOx Emissions Group Litigation –

We write by way of update following the Consequentials Hearing that was heard before Mr Justice Waksman on 1 May 2020 to address matters following the handing down of the Preliminary Issues Judgment.

Following that hearing the main matters to highlight to you are:

1) Permission to Appeal

The Judge refused VW’s applications for Permission to Appeal both Preliminary Issues findings. If VW wish to pursue any Appeal further they will need to file the relevant application with the Court of Appeal.

In giving his oral judgment dismissing the application for permission to appeal the Judge took the liberty to make some scathing comments about the Defendants’ conduct.

2) Costs

Prior to the hearing commencing VW offered £3.25M plus VAT in respect of the Claimants’ Preliminary Issues costs and the Steering Committee accepted that offer.

The Claimants total claimed costs amounted to £3.6M plus VAT and the advice of the Costs Leading Counsel instructed by us was that we would be unlikely to recover more than £3.25M plus VAT if the Court assessed our costs and that the offer should be accepted.

These costs will be split between the Steering Committee firms based on the proportion of work carried out by each firm.

Whilst no funds will be forthcoming to any Claimants at the moment the finding does mean that it is highly unlikely that there will be any reduction in the damages to be paid to you in relation to these costs.

3) Future management of the litigation

The Parties also reached agreement prior to the hearing commencing as to the future management of the Litigation including that:

• The Defendants are to amend their Generic Defence by 20 May and 3 June 2020;
  • A hearing was set for 22 May 2020 to deal with our applications for specific disclosure;
  • A Case Management Hearing to be set for October 2020; and
  • Trial of Lead Cases to be set for March 2022.
Again, we are pleased with the result of the Consequentials Hearing and the above directions. Especially as Defendants are now required by Order of the Court to amend their Defences to take account of the Preliminary Issues Judgment. Also, our application for Specific Disclosure will be dealt with by the end of this month.

The hope is that findings against VW, such as those in relation to the Preliminary Issues hearing, and, in particular the nature of the comments made by the Judge, will increase the pressure on VW to try to settle your claims. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee when, or even if, this will happen.

We will continue to keep you updated.
Yours faithfully,
SPG Law

So the lawyers are alright then, they get paid

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
If a town has one lawyer, he'll starve. More than one and they are made for life. Or from The Godfather, the lawyer with the briefcase can steal more money than the man with the gun. Good luck to all the claimants anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I am not certain, but when i looked into it i am sure that there was a "fee" that the law firm would take, i think that it was a %, i don't think it mentioned a minimum price they would get.

But for sure they won't loose out.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I know that when I took Network Rail to Court for my industrial injury, using one of the companies involved with this case (Not SPG), I agreed to pay them 25% of the damages awarded if I won.
And I did win, although NR "folded" on the day before the Court hearing.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The collective noun for a group of lawyers in a room is an “argument”.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts