Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 L & K diesel Yeti , acquired about 18 months ago, and am unable to find a PR sticker in any of the normal locations, the service book(didn't get one with the car) or the boot under the spare wheel. Should the boot one be obvious once the spare wheel is out or is it under one of the polystyrene boxes which are bolted to the floor? If I fail to locate one, can I get a replacement from Skoda, quoting the VIN number, in which case who do I approach to get one as my local dealer seems unable to help?

Chris

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
Not 100% sure what you mean by "PR sticker" Chris? (To me, "PR" means "Public Relations"? :)). If though, as I suspect, that is the same as the list of build option and ID codes, paint codes, etc., the sticker will be under the rearmost part of the polystyrene box to the left of the spare wheel (as you look into the boot, same as the car's left). The boxes are not actually bolted to the floor as such (or shouldn't be?). Although if yours has been undisturbed since fitted, it may still be attached to the upstand section of the false floor - the part that sits vertically just behind the base of the rear seats. Held by a couple of large plastic push-pins, about 2-3cm diameter. One on each side. I can't remember precisely which side they push/remove from, but think it's the face towards the rear seats.

(I removed the push pins from mine years ago, to make the boxes easier to lift in and out vertically. Makes the false floor ever so slightly subject to some marginal fore-aft movement, but for me that's a much lesser inconvenience compared to being able to lift out the boxes more readily).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think I found another such sticker around the B pillar

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,553 Posts
Only 3 "stickers" from your description I can think of.
1 On the boot floor to the left of the spare wheel giving Vin, build codes for accessories and paint codes etc.
2 At the bottom of the drivers B pillar giving weights and engine type.
3 In the filler cap giving fuel type and tyre pressures.
PS: What's a PR sticker?

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
I think I found another such sticker around the B pillar
That's the one that has the VIN nuimber and the various weight limits on it only, not the build details which is what I presume the OP is meaning.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Indeed - I was a bit too keen on the keyboard! Thanks I have edited that post now as there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting it.
Only the Mods have the power to completely delete a post.
Most you can do as the contributor is to replace the text with an "oops" type message. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only the Mods have the power to completely delete a post.
Most you can do as the contributor is to replace the text with an "oops" type message. :)
Thanks , I have found the sticker, as mentioned above, under the left polystyrene box. (held in place by 3 large plastic "nuts" 2 of which screw onto captive screw threads sticking up from the floor and the other one as stated by Flintstone screws through the front of the box). I have now got a copy of it in my Yeti folder.
As an aside, I went to Halfords yesterday to check out their disc pad prices and could not find pads with any of my sticker's PR numbers. They list pads for my model Yeti, with two different PR numbers, 1ZE and 1KJ, neither of which are on my sticker. I can either assume Halfords have got it wrong, or that there are more types of pad out there than Halfords stock. I hope it's the latter option otherwise I will be more confused than I normally am. As my local dealer does not give out Skoda part numbers, anyone able to quote the Skoda part number for the front pads on a 140 hp 4x4 2013 diesel Yeti. Looking on the Textar site they also list pads with 1ZE shown as the PR number but also the OEM number.

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
As my local dealer does not give out Skoda part numbers, anyone able to quote the Skoda part number for the front pads on a 140 hp 4x4 2013 diesel Yeti. Looking on the Textar site they also list pads with 1ZE shown as the PR number but also the OEM number.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I can either assume Halfords have got it wrong, or that there are more types of pad out there than Halfords stock.
Correct! Certainly on the latter point.
Try CarParts4Less.co.uk, or GSF car parts. Plug in your car’s registration into the vehicle finder. Then search under Car Parts for Brake Pads. You may be surprised how many options there are. Including many that are superior quality than Skoda branded OEM pads. Especially if you realise that the “Skoda” branded pads sold by dealers also often have “made in India“ stamped on them. I currently favour Brembo disks and pads for most of my fleet. Or Mintex/Textar if I’m feeling parsimonious (or selling the car next month).

It may also be worth checking the pad dimensions currently fitted to your Yeti. Compare under the web site’s “Fitment Details”. To be sure of selecting the right size, front or rear, for a 140 TDi Yeti. If you hang on an hour or two, when I’m next on my laptop to access the forum, I’ll attach a disc diameter chart, that will be useful when selecting the right pads to match the discs.

Reactions: Robjon and bryetian

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went to Halfords yesterday to check out their disc pad prices and could not find pads with any of my sticker's PR numbers. They list pads for my model Yeti, with two different PR numbers, 1ZE and 1KJ, neither of which are on my sticker. I can either assume Halfords have got it wrong, or that there are more types of pad out there than Halfords stock.
They certainly list 3 different diameter front discs both Eicher and Pagid on their website (280, 288, and 312mm)

I was pleasantly surprised a couple of weeks ago when my local Halfords managed to get a pair of rear Wheel cylinders for my MG Midget. Ordered in branch on a Sunday - collected the following Tuesday morning. And they were the correct parts!

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Here's that disc size list I mentioned in #13
Font Parallel Pattern Number Slope

Should help with figuring which pads you need when looking at "Fitment Details" on the Car Parts web sites.

Reactions: SnowGood and Robjon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again, Flintstone and Urrell. From the 7zap site the only PR code quoted that matches anything on my sticker is PR- 1KS which is for Bosch rear brakes. The disc size chart sent by Flintstone also shows Bosch as the manufacturer of the both front and rear calipers, but the 7zap site does not show a Bosch front caliper, only the rear with the matching PR code. On the GSF site the PR codes for front and rear are 1ZE and 1KS respectively, again with only one matching PR code of 1KS.
Should I not be too bothered that there seems to be something odd here. Either my PR sticker is not complete or I should ignore it anyway and get whatever GSF or whoever say is the correct item. I attach a copy of my PR sticker for someone to come back to me and explain that I have totally mis understood it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I can understand the desire to use the PR codes to identify the correct OE parts to purchase as replacements. I can’t help thinking though it’s a bit of red herring or possibly wild goose chase? The OE fitment codes and ETKA parts diagram (as found at 7zap) will tell you who supplied the hydraulic system and callipers as fitted to any particular vehicle as it rolled down the assembly line. They won’t necessarily tell you though which supplier manufactured the discs and pads fitted to the same vehicle. As that would be more determined by who’s container load had turned up “just in time” to be directed to the assembly line at the moment your car was being shunted down the line.

What’s more, on a 2013 built car, it is highly likely the discs and pads would have been replaced before now anyway. So the focus on who was the OE supplier for those parts is irrelevant anyway.

We’ve also had several instances reported in here from time to time, of owners who have upgraded their car’s disc sizes to a those fitted to a higher powered model. E.G. a 140 bhp diesel upgraded to the disc and pad sizes of a 170 bhp variant. Memory says there’s even a description in the “How To” section, for how to go about doing just that.

Hence there really is no substitute for popping a couple of wheels off, before placing a parts order. One front, one rear. To check and measure exactly what disc diameters are fitted. Preferably also slip a pad out to measure the shape and dimensions of those. So you know you’ll be ordering the compatible sized and pattern parts.

Personally I wouldn’t even contemplate going anywhere near either Halfords or a Skoda franchised dealer for discs and pads. When significantly better quality equivalents (e.g. Brembo) are available at equal, or lower cost from folks like GSF, Euro Car Parts, Car Parts 4 Less ( same company as ECP), or Opie Oils.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I have my Brembo discs and pads ready to be fitted now, courtesy of GSF. One question, do the two guide bolts need to be lubricated as I assume the non piston side of the caliper slides on these as the brakes are applied, but no one seems to mention this?

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
One question, do the two guide bolts need to be lubricated as I assume the non piston side of the caliper slides on these as the brakes are applied, but no one seems to mention this?
Yes, but do not use a grease that is going to degrade the rubber bellows.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
As Urrell said. 🙂

The calipers front and rear are described as “floating”. In that the whole caliper slides on the guide pins. So that the pressure is equalised (in theory) between the piston side and opposite side. Although the design of the front calipers is very different, compared to rear. So that the front slider pins are (partially) removed to provide for the caliper and pads to be lifted from the disc together. Makes it relatively easy to remove the pins from their rubber guides, in order to re-lube them if necessary. If the rubber guides are worn they can be replaced easily. Kits are available.

Use a grease that does not degrade rubber. Such as Mintex “Ceratec”.

At the rear, the slider/guide pins are separately enclosed in a rubber bellows. With a pair of thread locked bolts that hold the caliper in place on the slider guide pins. The pins themselves are therefore less susceptible to drying out. Therefore less likely to need re-lube unless the bellows are nicked or broken.

The pads themselves, both front and rear, slide side to side on a combination of caliper and holding bracket. Depending on model and caliper design, the guide brackets may or may not have stainless sliders clipped onto the carrier brackets. Or the pad “ears” simply butt against the “naked” carrier surface.

Either way, when replacing or checking pads for wear, it is a Good Idea to sparingly apply a little lube to the pad ear surfaces that are in contact with the fixed carriers or calipers. To stop the pads seizing onto the carriers.

The rear pads are much more prone to seizing onto the carriers, due to corrosion. Mainly because the rear brakes provide less than 20% of the total braking effort. So don’t get exercised so much to stop them seizing.

Reactions: SnowGood
1 - 20 of 28 Posts