Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like the Yeti doesn't like driving through water now!, both horns replaced due to water damage, brake caliper stuck due to water behind the seal causing corrosion (There was rusty water present when I tore it open), bolts corroded solid under the car and shearing the heads off when attempted to be removed (Sump guard).

Beginning to think I should have sold it on at 6yrs old or treat it like a normal family car and never venture off the road and go the long way round when there is some standing water.

When they say the maximum depth of water allowed is just touching the underside of the car, they are not kidding, any more and your looking at new horns and brakes.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,968 Posts
My Yeti's went through water much deeper than that and got regularly covered in thick mud with no problems. To be honest any nut and bolt under the car is going to get just at wet in normal rainy times, flood water has got nothing to do with it.
And if flood water was driven through correctly I doubt the horns would have got very wet, considering they are fitted up and behind the bumper.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
It sounds like you are having more than your fair share of problems. Do you use a pressure washer when you clean the wheels? With the corrosion does your Yeti spend much time near the coast?

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
To be honest any nut and bolt under the car is going to get just at wet in normal rainy times, flood water has got nothing to do with it.
And if flood water was driven through correctly I doubt the horns would have got very wet, considering they are fitted up and behind the bumper.
Do you use a pressure washer when you clean the wheels? With the corrosion does your Yeti spend much time near the coast?
My 2010 Yeti, has so far done 242,000 miles (and counting), with no such issues. Apart from some corroded bolts on the rear subframe and ARB mounts. Which normal for a VAG car of similar age. It is now living in Sheffield.

It would regularly get an under body and wheel arch area pressure wash, particularly in winter to clean off the salt picked up from "gritted" roads. Regularly driven through water up to 12-15" deep (through a ford not 1 mile from my house that I deliberately go out of my way to wade through in winter for the same purpose).
Whenever I had the engine undertray off though, for such jobs as driveshaft inner joint inspection, oil drain, etc. I would normally coat the securing bolts with either Coppaslip, or just regular grease, on replacement. To prevent seizing that those are vulnerable to on all sorts of cars with plastic undertrays.

Added to that, it seldom spent more than 24hrs without being used. Frequent journeys of 20 miles or more. Often much more, like Scotland and back, Preston, Newcastle, London or Cambridge, Norfolk, Utrecht, etc. So things like the brake calipers, etc. would get chance to be properly warmed up to drive off any damp accumulated while stationary. Even during lockdowns, as SWMBO has a job that required her to be physically present in the classroom every day, teaching the kids of key workers, so they could go to work. I would use it at weekends for a covid-secure means to scoop up Cost Centres from places of risk, etc. rather than them use public transport.

My 2005 BMW by contrast, has had all sorts of similar issues to those posted by Chocki. Including underbody corrosion, seized suspension bolts, seized brake calipers, wheel bearing failures, etc. Attributed to spending the first 8 years of its life near the Northumbrian coast. With a couple of owners who regularly "cared for" and cleaned the upper bodywork it seemed, but seldom paid any attention to cleaning off the underbody areas. For example, I found heaps of sand in hidden crevices behind the wheel arch liners. Clearly been there for years. Gathering salt and damp.

So 10/10 for the The Hood's very relevant questions.

·
Administrator
5,898 Posts
Not sure Wolverhampton, which is Chocki's location, would be considered by many as being near the coast.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Not sure Wolverhampton, which is Chocki's location, would be considered by many as being near the coast.
Who was first owner though? Does West Midlands use lots of salt on winter roads? That has same effect. :)

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
Compared to some pictures recently posted mine seems to be better than most, but it does get wet and muddy quite a lot, but no jetwash. Most of the rust in this shot is teh exhaust.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks better than mine, I am the only owner, not really been near the coast, but I do use it across flooded fields quite often.
This is the second set of horns to have died due to water ingress, maybe I an driving through too deep water too often, I mean what else could it be?.
Maybe I need a real off roader. Lets see how the Grenadier fares once it's available for sale.

I am known to treat my cars, lets just say "Hard", but this one, I've actually been quite careful with, the other cars that spent most of their lives driven like they were stolen seem to have held up a lot better than the Yeti!, I just don't get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts