Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just arrived.............

New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles
Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.
This will continue until confirmed otherwise.
This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.
Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle.
We have published guidance for garages.
We've also published 2 guides for the public:​
Guidance for MOT garages
The government has extended the requirement for certain businesses to close, but garages are allowed to stay open.
This is to make sure that essential vehicle maintenance and repair to keep vehicles, goods and key workers moving and safe can continue.​

·
Registered
827 Posts
Presumably we can still choose to have a vehicle MOT tested at any time; assuming that's still offered by the garages. The Discovery was first registered in September but I changed the MOT date to June to get the better weather should any repairs be required. The 6 month extension now puts the expiry date in December - a time of year when I don't really want to be car mending. :)

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will probably depend on your local testing station staying open. Years ago I took a car for its MOT just after Christmas and had to fill it with neat windscreen fluid. I had to spray the washers occasionally on the way to the testing station, and when I got there, there were green frozen streaks down both sides of the car. :oops:

SWMBO car is due in June and the Yeti next January

·
Registered
266 Posts
Reading the guidance if your first MOT is due after 30th March you will get a 6 month extension before needs to be tested. My Yeti is due its first MOT by May 25th so I assume this will be extended to November 25th.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Presumably we can still choose to have a vehicle MOT tested at any time; assuming that's still offered by the garages. The Discovery was first registered in September but I changed the MOT date to June to get the better weather should any repairs be required. The 6 month extension now puts the expiry date in December - a time of year when I don't really want to be car mending. :)
The guide lines from Borris last night do not include taking your car for a mot, Stay at home only go to chemist, shop and exercise once/day (not got link)

I believe, that you can mot your car at any time (under normal conditions) to get the full 12 months MOT cert

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe, that you can mot your car at any time (under normal conditions) to get the full 12 months MOT cert
If you want to preserve the expiry date of your car you can have it tested up to one day less than a month before it expires. I.E MOT expires 10/05/20 tested on 11/04/20 new MOT expires 10/05/21. Tested on 10/04/20 new MOT expires 10/04/21

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
If you want to preserve the expiry date of your car you can have it tested up to one day less than a month before it expires. I.E MOT expires 10/05/20 tested on 11/04/20 new MOT expires 10/05/21. Tested on 10/04/20 new MOT expires 10/04/21
A little confusing

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on your current MOT pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

ExampleIf your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

ExampleYour MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Reading the guidance if your first MOT is due after 30th March you will get a 6 month extension before needs to be tested. My Yeti is due its first MOT by May 25th so I assume this will be extended to November 25th.
Keith
Applies to any MOT test due after 30th March. Not just a car’s first. Leastways I read no mention of “first” MOT only in the guidance? For example, our Yeti was due its 8th MOT in May. That is also now extended. My plan is to get it MOT’d as soon as the test Centres re-open. Hopefully sometime in late summer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My plan is to get it MOT’d as soon as the test Centres re-open. Hopefully sometime in late summer.
Yup, that's my plan for the Discovery. Meanwhile said vehicle will hopefully be helping the NHS with deliveries etc. :)

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
A little confusing

Earliest date you can get an MOT
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on your current MOT pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

ExampleIf your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

ExampleYour MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.
That’s not new though. Has been like that for years.

A fresh test anytime in the 11 months since the last one, will extend for 12-months from the date of the new test.
If however, you wait to get the test during the month prior to the expiry date of last year’s test, then the new period runs from the previous expiry date, not the date of the test. I.E. 12-13 months duration.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
That’s not new though. Has been like that for years.

A fresh test anytime in the 11 months since the last one, will extend for 12-months from the date of the new test.
If however, you wait to get the test during the month prior to the expiry date of last year’s test, then the new period runs from the original expiry date, not the date of the test. I.E. 12-13 months duration.
I was just confirming that the test can be done at any date to get the full 12 months period, but if done within a period of a month prior to renewal date it reverts to the expiry date plus a year.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Yup, that's my plan for the Discovery. :)
Great minds! Etc. :)
My plan is for exactly the same reason as yours Bry. I’d rather be doing MoT prep work in the summer than winter. Especially when it involves crawling about under the car on its axle stands.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the past, I have always taken my cars in close to a month before the expiry date. My idea was that if it failed, I would have a few weeks to sort it before the certificate ran out. WRONG!!! If the car fails, that is it, the original expiry becomes nul and void until it actually passes. That means it has to come off the road immediately. I only discovered that fairly recently.

So far as I’m concerned, there is no point in taking it in early because there is no advantage if it fails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts