Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer advice please on how easy or not fitting mud flaps is?It seems to be cost effective to purchase the front and rear mud flaps off the internet and then fit them ones self.Agreed ordering mud flaps and then having the dealer fit them is the route of least hassle but on the other side of the coin the garage labour sends the cost over a hundred quid.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi it's a simple job using the existing bolts in the wheel arch no drilling, but do not over tighten the bolts or you will strip the thread, can be done with the wheels on fronts turn the wheels for easy access rears are a little more fiddly.
Edited by: wakev

·
Administrator
5,157 Posts
You need a Torx 25 driver for the bolts. As Wakev says the bolts are plastic and are supposedly replaced at 1.5Nm torque, according to the instructions, but I reckon that hand tight is about right.
Rears are more awkward with wheels on as there is not a lot of room to get a driver into the bolts but if you have a 90 degree driver or a flexi driver that will make it much easier. I used a Torx driver bit with an adaptor fitted to an Allen key and that worked fine. Others have succeeded with a driver bit and pair of pliers.

In case you haven't seen it there is a longer thread on Mud Flaps with more advice and comment
http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/mud-flaps_topic75.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people really appreciate the responses - I'm pretty sure doing it myself will be achievable .........

As an additional question has anyone fitted the sills themselves am I correct in assuming they are held on by adhesive rather than screwed down?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Most of the extra plastic bits like the sills are stuck on with double sided tape. If you buy a tube of polyurethane adhesive from an automotive store and use some of that as well then it will be a better job with much less chance of something coming loose later on. Either way, prep the surface well with a solvent cleaner before attaching.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks plbxr a good tip.Double sided tape is good stuff on the right surfaces and as you say prior preparation prevents poor performance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fitted mud flaps on mine last week, no bolts but metal self tappers, all four were dead easy to fit, its transformed the mud flinging. Watch out for slight difference in size of self tappers on rear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just fitted front and rear mudflaps on my yeti.
Very easy and a 5 minute a wheel job, left all wheels on to fit them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah i guess having knowledge about that is how its necessary to be and in fact it works quite goodly if we know only the basics of how we can manage our ride and it works quite impressively what you have discussed helped me with knowing how i can get it fixed and gonna try it hopefully.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Hood said:
Sorry hubertlance but every time I read one of your posts I think of the policeman in Allo Allo. Sorry.
Lol. Very well put Mr Hood. I have to read his posts one or two times to try and get what is said

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Sometimes takes me more than that!!

I wish people would use capital letters and punctuation.

·
Administrator
5,157 Posts
hubertlanceThere are several threads in the forum on fitting mud flaps so just use the search function and you'll find some guidance on the process and how others have done it. It's not difficult. You need a Torx 25screwdriver from memory. As well as the genuine Skoda flaps there is an after-market supplier who has some longer flaps that are designed to fit the Yeti who have a thread in the forum too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
HiDid mine in 15 min front and back

Edited by: Rayman

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought of internet genuine ones at a fraction of theRRP and fitted them myself on the drive. took about 15 to 20 minutes. just make sure that you have the correct torque thing to fit the screws....not sure of the proper name for them but if you have the correct one its a doddle to do your self. just remove the screws offer up the mud flap and reinsert the screws.the rear ones have a little clip but its no hardship fitting them and all instructions came with the flaps.
big improvement to the car ..

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
I fitted the front flaps with the wheels on using the torx screwdriver in the boot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I certainly would NOT say they are a huge improvement if standard Skoda mud flaps are fitted . Maybe the front first 6 inches of sill are kept cleaner but the same dirt is spread over the rest of the sills and rear door . I think they are definitely a fashion accessory rather than a must have . Wakev and others have done some wonderful mods to these mud flaps with apparent great results , maybe an update on these results would be more useful to members wanting to fit mud flap to prevent water spray and dirt distribution .

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
An update
, my mod which is an addition to the standard mud flaps is an improvement keeps a lot of the [email protected] off the sills and rear doors, also reduces the spray up the rear window a bit. My Yeti is not getting washed very often at the moment due to a long list from SWMBO (as I do one job from the top she adds 2 to the bottom
), but I have noticed there is less mud and grit up the sides, the dirt is mainly the misty spray that is coming from the front wheels, and it is taken through the woods to a muddy car park every other weekend for my clay shooting, got that pleasure tomorrow morning and its been raining all day and more to come tonight
, will post up some pictures of after the trip through the woods if I get time, and a restfrom HRH long list.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did a Wakev mud flap mod on my white Adventure., stays soooo much cleaner than before, can't remember off the top of my head the distance from the floor I left them but for £23.98 for the rally flaps themselves, it is definately wiorth it. I trimmed mine slightly different to the original modification but it took maybe an hour to complete. I purchased the longer original bolts for them from Skoda, and didn't use the silver philips head that cam with them.

Edited by: little duck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts