Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Anyone fitted their own mud flaps currently on offer at £18.90 a pair.
Do you have to do any drilling? remove the wheels?
Waiting in anticipation.

Anteous

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi the mud flaps are a simple job to fit 15-25 min wheels on, all you need is a set of torx hope thats how you spell it (like allen keys but star shaped) can't remember the size off hand.
All you do is remove the existing bolts from the wheel arch and put the mud flap on and then put bolts back, but be very careful not to over tighten the as they are only plastic and will strip the threads,I think the mud flaps come with full instructions and torque settings.

You may find the torx key in the boot tool kit will fit to cold to go and look now, wood burner nice and hot

Edited by: wakev

·
Administrator
4,883 Posts
Having just done this I can give an update for anyone else interested.
It's a Torx 25 that you need. Threeexisting screws need to be removed for each flap and re-used to fit the flap. No drilling required, so an easy DIY job.

With the rear flaps trying to fit with wheels on means the bottom screw is hard to reach without a flexy screwdriver as the space between tyre and screw is quite limited. I used a torx bit ina bit holder and an allen key in the other endto give enough leverage. (Someone else has said that they just used a torx bit and pair of pliers.) The other two screws are just about reachable with a normal screwdriver. These flaps have to be "hooked" onto the bodywork at the bottom and there is a clip to press fit to lock this in place.

The fronts are more straightforward. It's best if you turn the wheels full lock so that you can reach the lower innermost screw. Then it's just a matter of reusing the screws to hold the flaps in place.

All screws are supposedly replaced at 1.5Nm torque according to the instructions but I reckon that hand tight is about right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fitted front and rear in about 45 minutes. Had to turn wheels to gain access but not remove. You do need the correct fitting torx(?) screwdriver bit though

·
Registered
35 Posts
Only thing I'd add to the above is the integrated plastic clips for locating the flaps onto the wheel arch (fronts) and the underside of the bumper (rears) can be tight little beggars

·
Registered
14 Posts
Skoda garage offered to fit front and rear for £156 including Vat, Sir. Purchased all for £50. Took about 5 minutes a side to fit front, folded a bit of card and placed between wheel arch and plastic wheel arch liner above mudflap to make room for clipping on, then removed card. Seems OK. Will do rears later.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fitted rear a bit of a job however we damaged one off road in some deep pot holes!
Today's temp Downunder. 32 c

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been shocked at the price of mud flaps! They must cost around £4 to design and make, and even on ebay they around £26 for 2 rear mud flaps!! However fear note I have bought a pair of front and a pair of rear mud flaps for £34.47, from a Skoda dealer in The Republic of Ireland. Lets just hope they turn up! Incidetally I bought in Sterling, but I think it would have been cheaper to have bought in Euros as I believe the exchange rate would be better. I was going to buy just reat ones, but the postage was the same for a complete set. Fitting them given my capabilities is another issue....!

Here is the link below for interested parties ans shame on UK Skoda dealers

http://www.skodapartsmunster.ie/index.asp?function=search

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great job..There more than one way to skin a retailer .Keep me posted.....

TODAY'S TEMP.#39 C. C C C c. C c.C

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Pug

Just to let u know my mud-flaps have arrived from Ireland. Two front and two back delivered. They are genuine Skoda parts £34.50 delivered... mind u I have had time to fit them yet!

Really given that the Yeti does through up a lot of dirt I would have the car should be fitted as standard. Whether they actually work or not is another issue as I have seen a bit of comment on this site about them not being very effective. Will report back, when/if I get them fitted.

Here is the link again in case anybody else wants to get them at getting on 4 half price....

http://www.skodapartsmunster.ie/index.asp?function=search

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The mud flaps help, but don't stop all the mud and piles of s---
sorry poo left on the roads around here getting stuck to the sides of the yeti.

If you need to reduce the crap thrown up the sides more I have seen rally flaps cut down and added to the originals looked very neat, have a look herehttp://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/245185-mud-flaps/#entry3180957

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my two front mud flaps from my Skoda dealer (West End Garage) for £25. I thought this a bit expensive until the Service Manager asked if I would like them fitted for free...... I jumped at the offer and it took about 3 minutes! Undo the bolts on the existing extended archs and the mud flaps fit on exactly the same template with the existing screws.

The front flaps are a slight improvement but really just further extend the extended arches. Mud and stones still manage to hit the sides of the bodywork.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have put 5000 miles on my monster. It was fitted with the rough road pack so has the plastic rear door films and mudflats. The rear door films look pebble dashed and the paint forward of the films is starting to chip in numerous places. Ok, I live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive miles down very rough tracks. But that's why I speced the rough road option, and it still doesn't stop the rear doors and arches getting trashed. Not too happy about this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sand Blasting

Sounds like your driving it for what it was design for.A skoda guy in Australia does a lot of BEACH FISHING and he to is getting paint damage from sand blasting. He I was told is getting it done under warranty.Although he has had to yell and JUMP to get Action.

GO FOR IT

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
I recently spent some time in Cornwall and used a lot of sand covered roads, the inside rear edge of the back doors were covered in sand where they meet the rear wheel arch. This is with mudflaps fitted, the sand its literally fired at the joint by the rear wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have fitted rear mud flaps they help a bit, but they are not that good. Haven't got the front ones fitted yet. I think they basically should be a bit longer. Good news is I got all four from a Skoda dealer in Munster (Ireland) for under £35 delivered. Still expensive in my book for pieces of plastic but cheaper than 'Rip off Britain'. Gosh I am sounding like a Sun Reader!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was pretty cheap, bit late I know, I logged on just now to try to get some for my Yeti but it's costing ‚¬48.01 which works out at £40.72 not much dearer than yours i suppose. Found another site in Ireland doing them though for £34 delivered so I'm thinking I'll will go with them, they have 10% off at the moment they're a dealer in Ireland too, Skoda Parts Ireland, anyone else go with them??

http://www.skodapartsireland.ie/product/Yeti_Front_Mud_Flaps_KEA630001

Is there a new shape yeti coming out, want to upgrade my 2011 ?? Will hold out for one with new badges if its coming soon

1 - 20 of 42 Posts