Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned home to Sittingbourne from a shortened caravan holiday in the New Forest. It rained all the way there, almost all the time there, and all the way home. We haven't had a break since collecting our car last October without a lot of rain! Anyway, the site we stayed on was waterlogged, with other caravanners requiring the site tractor to tow their 'vans to firm ground. With some trepidation I declined the offer of a tow and put my trust in 4wd Yeti. Happily it towed the 'van out of the field without any fuss whilst the site owner watched warily and almost no rutting to the grass (mud). It was almost too easy and Yeti's face was saved! We averaged 27mpg. towing, which has bought the overall mpg down from 47 to 36. We do like our car!!

·
Administrator
14,219 Posts
Towing a caravan out of a waterlogged field is no mean feat, welldone Yeti (and driver). Did you take any pictures? Were you aware of the front wheels loosing their grip before the rear went into four wheel drive or did you use the off-road button?
I bet the "management" was impressed!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, no pic's, too much rain and misery. 'Offroad' button was not used and no, no drama, Yeti just drove out. Most impressive I thought.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Hood said:
Were you aware of the front wheels loosing their grip before the rear went into four wheel drive or did you use the off-road button?
Does the Yeti need to spin the fronts first?

I was under the impression the later Haldex 4 used torque sensing and so if you are not heavy footed it sends more power to the rear as needed, before the drama develops at the front.

Having taken mine round Castle Combe circuit at the weekend (and I wasn't hanging around...) I could feel it in 4x4 really helping me get the power down earlier in the corners. But there was no front slip. ESP works well too.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
BF, yes it does, but not by enough to really notice. I doubt they "slip" more than a quarter of a turn.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to need to read up on Haldex 4 I think. :)

Because on track I was getting no wheel slip at all at the front and throwing it into corners at speed you could feel the four wheel drive pushing you out of the corners, I could get the power down earlier than the front wheel drive cars.

I can't believe it's as simple as front slip = more drive to the rear, it must have more features.
That's what the earlier Haldex versions were like.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I'm only going on my experience in muddy off-road conditions, and normally when starting to move. It is probably differentwhen all the wheels are already in motion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts