Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title makes it sound as though I've just developed a "midriff bulge" as they called it in the 60s.

I did think it was quite expensive for a spare wheel but actually it's not a bad piece of kit. I didn't realise the wheels were so big! they don't look that big on the car - the 17 inch wheels must be gi-normous.
The raised boot floor seems solid enough as does the jack. The wheel brace is nothing to shout about but should be adequate for the job.

If anyone is considering buying the spare wheel kit from Caffyn's through ebay; their listing only mentions the wheel, the tool kit, the wheel screw fixing and the raised boot floor but you do also get the three wheel surround storage boxes.

It's just a matter now of waiting for a bit of daylight so I can fit it to the car. It all looks very ornamental stacked in a corner of the living room

Regards, Lee.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rick, you've opened a can of worms there - all those nice goodies to buy!

"Yes, alright Dear. Now take your hands from around my throat!"

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
frglee said:
Thank you Rick, you've opened a can of worms there - all those nice goodies to buy!

"Yes, alright Dear. Now take your hands from around my throat!"

Oooops sorry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well. I survived a spell of window shopping on the Superskoda web site so I was able to fit the spare wheel kit; fairly straightforward if a bit fiddly.

For do-it-yourself'ers two tools are needed, a Torx screwdriver for the two supplied screws and an Allen key for the large plastic "nuts" that fix the storage boxes to the boot floor.

Following the steps shown in the instruction leaflet it took me about an hour to fit everything though a lot of this time was spent trying to start the nuts on the threaded studs in the boot floor. The nuts are made of fairly soft plastic so care is needed to avoid chewing up the hexagon slots ( don't ask me how I know
) When fitting the two screws you will need either long flexible arms or a willing helper.

Understandably, the Skoda rubber boot liner no longer fits properly; it's too long and there is now a cut-out at either sidenext tothe boot sill. The extra length can be tucked behind the rear seats and I might try cutting the liner along the line of the cut-outs so the edge will fit up against the boot sill.

I had a holdall bag in the boot with all the essentials needed for daily motoring adventures. With the exception of a foot pump and a plastic jerry can, everything has fitted into the storage boxes along with the compressor and tyre sealant.

Regards, Lee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I refuse to tell you because I'm envious that you are on the Isle of Wight, my favourite holiday destination!

I got mine for £232 but there was 5 per cent of the usual price at the time. At the moment Caffyn's have the kit listed on eBay at £245 plus postage for the 2WD Yeti while Hayselden Doncaster have them at £256 collection only which possibly may be the list price.

I'm assuming you already own a Yeti?; when ordered as an option with a new car the cost is £85unless it's a Greenline in which case it's not offered as an option, though I think I recall some people have managed to order the kit separately when buying a new Greenline and still only paid the £85.

Regards, Lee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just ordered a raised boot floor with tool kit. I was hoping to use one of my winter tyres which are 215 x 60 x 16 on a 16" rim instead of paying an extra £150 for the spare. This gives a rolling radius of 664mm compared to the 640mm of the expensive 195 x 60 x 16 standard spare which is actually outside the recommended tolerance for the Yeti. Does any one know if my winter tyre/wheel will fit in the summer and I was hoping to use my Spitzburg 225 x 50 x 17 (657mm radius) in the winter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will have to check that your winter wheel is uni-directional as you will only be able to use it on one side if not.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Acweng said:
You will have to check that your winter wheel is uni-directional as you will only be able to use it on one side if not.
I think he means: "You will have to check that your winter wheel is NOT unidirectional, as you will only be able to use it on one side if it IS."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts