Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather is good so tidying the garden. I've made a friend with a robin who whistles by the garden window and when he sees me, he comes down on the step and waits for crumbs. Today while weeding the crazy paving, he was hopping beside me but his mate is not too sure of me so sits on the fence. Have a look at the butterfly, not seen one like this before. Probally common in other parts.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Yes, I have filled the garden waste bin, and now the council has stopped collecting this waste for the forseable future!

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Pretend it’s a “compost bin”?

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
We have a Robin that manages to sit on the bird feeder perch and eat sunflower hearts, I haven't got the heart to tell him he shouldn't be able to do that.
All four plum trees are smothered in bloom, I hate plums so SWMBO better be hungry, the frogs in the pond are getting noisy, I bet they spawn just when we get a frost which damages it, they always do!

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
The butterfly is a Peacock. They seem to be about in numbers around here, brought out by some sunshine (at last) and still winds.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Another lovely sunny day, so I’ve sanded the garden seats then treated them with Danish oil. Creokoted a small boundary fence and used vinyl care to shine the bike tyres. Earlier I shampooed the kitchen carpet (washable and laid when our previous greyhound skidded on the hard floor and wouldn’t walk on it). So much to do to fill the time. The birds are singing, the pigeons are cooing, children are playing and making happy noises. Yesterday I saw the first bumble bee of the year and flys are returning so soon be time to switch on the Insectocutor.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
The butterfly is a Peacock.
And I thought Peacocks only had two legs? (Say it in an Arthur Shappey voice and you’ll get the meaning.) :) :D

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
... children are playing and making happy noises. Yesterday I saw the first bumble bee of the year and flys are returning so soon be time to switch on the Insectocutor.
Blimey Jimmy, that’s a list and a half! Better not tell SWMBO that’s the level of garden jobs productivity I’ll be able to match, once I’ve retired. Day job still working me harder than ever this week - with lots of colleagues who have never worked from home before, struggling to get to grips and seeking tips. Needing coaching on how the get the best from the VPN links to the secure database, etc.

That, and in between making way too many comments in here! ;):ROFLMAO::rolleyes::censored:

I’ll bet there’ll be lots of parents wishing they could zap the kids with an Insectocutor by this time next week. When they’ve all got Cabin Fever and have exhausted the Netflix account and/or the broadband provider download limit?

Even more, discovering that it was not the teachers who were at fault after all?

Maintaining social distance at the blood donation session this evening is going to be interesting...

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
🤪 done all the garden, washed the patio, cleaned the car/van. was checking beer stocks 😊 for a lazy weekend (y) SWMBO found enough paint for the kitchen 😨 I HATE PAINTING 🥴

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Yesterday I finally got around to cutting the leylandi hedge at the back of the house. Managed to get about 90% of it done before the old B & D Trimmer gave up the ghost in a cloud of grey smoke. Found the only place to get a new one was from Amazon, as Toolstation and Screwfix have removed all their gardening products from their catalogues. The last 10% is going to have to wait until it gets delivered.

This morning SWMBO pointed to a large pile of cuttings from various trees and shrubs so out with the chipper and filled 3 large containers with wood chips. Those will be used mostly around the 4 raised vegetable beds to replenish the chips put down last year.

This afternoon I completed the forms to become a driver with the local Covid-19 support group. This will mostly be delivering prescriptions and supplies from either the surgery or chemists to housebound clients. Unlike England, in Wales it is being left to each county and Health Board to set up their own schemes, and ours is being organised by the local group that oversees all voluntary groups in the County.

Weather dependent, but the deck needs to be pressure washed, so this might get done tomorrow, then it will need to be treated. And SWMBO has also pointed out some painting that needs doing and 2 nest boxes that need to be moved.

And I was hoping to get some work done on the Midget!!

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
This afternoon I completed the forms to become a driver with the local Covid-19 support group. This will mostly be delivering prescriptions and supplies from either the surgery or chemists to housebound clients. Unlike England, in Wales it is being left to each county and Health Board to set up their own schemes, and ours is being organised by the local group that oversees all voluntary groups in the County
Well done that man, I cannot believe the attitude of the Welsh group, round here you would be welcomed with open arms.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Well done that man, I cannot believe the attitude of the Welsh group, round here you would be welcomed with open arms.
I'm afraid that even if I was keeping a 4x4 I would not be paying my membership fee this year and I hear that others locally are equally unhappy.

The Welsh structure is strange in that there are several regional groups forming the Principality group and it looks like some of those regional groups are now supplying assistance. I'm wondering if it is just Powys that are acting in this manner, and this would tie in with other things I am now hearing. Disappointed as I was one of the founder members of Powys 4x4 Response, and we did a lot of work for numerous bodies.

And today Network Rail have contacted me and asked whether I would be willing to potentially return to work on a 6 month contract providing relief at various Boxes. I have to do a weeks on-line training to refresh my Rules and then we shall see what happens. The money will be nice if I'm back as my old grade!

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
It is beginning to look like we will be shipping the food that the volunteers will be delivering. Not necessarily using our own vehicles as we have several LGV drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
It is beginning to look like we will be shipping the food that the volunteers will be delivering. Not necessarily using our own vehicles as we have several LGV drivers.
Around here food and prescription delivery is being organised by Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations, with whom I've registered, but they need to do CRB, or whatever it is now called, for those carrying drugs. Being very rural and with an aged population there is a lot of those jobs!

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
.. but they need to do CRB, or whatever it is now called.
Possibly “DBS”? Those replaced CRB for the checks that are needed to work with kids, or even work in a place where there will be kids around. The checks that might have prevented Ian Huntley from getting a job a school caretaker, IF Humberside had recorded his previous activities (but those could not be recorded at the time because he was never convicted, just taken in for questioning. Hence wasn’t recorded as a “criminal”.). Not sure why needed to deliver drugs? But DBS checks do cover a whole range of greater detail than CRB did. Hence the name change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts