Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after an anxious couple of weeks took delivery of our new Yeti 1.2TSi Elegance today.
The anxiety was because I had ordered through AutoFinders which those of you who also read other Yeti forums may know have ceased trading. Thankfully my car was already built and at the dealers who have honoured all of the agreements I had made with AutoFinders other than I now have to reclaim the deposit I made with them from my CC company. Hats off to Rainsworh Skoda.

Initial impressions are good. Aqua Blue is a nice colour and have gone for Gobi Sand interior whichmakes the interior seemnice and light. Quick run to the supermarket is all the driving so far and having moved away from a 2.0l diesel noticing the difference in torque but I'll get used to that and the engine will loosen up. Weather is pretty awful so not had time to play and set up all the settings for phone, audio etc but looks fun.

One noticable thing driving was that the speedo is not very readable due to the depth of the cowl so Ican't see the 0 to 40 settings without moving my head to the left. Also opening the boot in my garage causes the boot lid to hit the up and over garage door which my old Touran didn't. Not something you would ever notice in a showroom. Looks like a bit of carpet padding may be required.

Anyway thanks again to all those who offered advice and suggestions when I was going through the Buy or Not Buy decision process. Considering the VAG settings now as DRL with fogs seems a better idea so will be looking for more help I suspect.

·
Administrator
14,607 Posts
HiIt seems a long time since your first post but you have made it at last. Congratulations on your new car and especialy choice of colour, it changes with the levels of daylight and does not show the dirt. I'm glad to see Rainsworth looked after you, Jeremy is very good. My Yeti came from them but through Skodastore.com (which is Rainsworth). As regards the garage door, if yours is like mine with diagonal bracing struts I have gaffer taped some thick pipe insulation to them which stops any damage being caused.

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I was laying in bed last night thinking what would be suitable padding and pipe insulation came to mind. Think it's the base horizontal strut that it would hit so there isn't space behind to use gaffer tape all the way round but when I have time I'll look at what options there are for fixing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You mentioned that "One noticeable thing driving was that the speedo is not very readable due
to the depth of the cowl so Ican't see the 0 to 40 settings without
moving my head to the left
. I had a similar problem with our first Yeti, the solution for me was to adjust the level of the steering wheel - not too difficult. Also adjusting the seat height can help.

I mentioned "my first Yeti" - we originally bought a 1.2 TSi SE in 2010, we traded this in last year for a 1.8 TSi SE to get the improved acceleration and power (and a spare wheel - our first Yeti only had the "gunge" kit, which I was not comfortable with, but we bought the car which was on display in the showroom since it had everything else we required and we got it within a week. Our second/current Yeti took about 4 months from order to delivery which was not too bad.

Richard

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Richard. I expect with a bit of experimentation on the seat and steering wheel positions I'll sort things out and I must admit I haven't notice other people complain of this particular problem. Being a little "vertically challenged" I do like to have the seat quite high so I'll try a lower position on the next trip. I am sure it's just one of those things that you have to get used to in a new car.Same can be said of the 1.2TSi, just need to adjust my driving style for the loss of torque and get into a lower gear a bit earlier. The Yeti is certainly quietier than my old car so one advantage over a diesel.

·
Administrator
14,607 Posts
I have sometimes thought it might be better if the speedo were on the left, but thats just me. One day I might just have a look and see, although I don't hold out much hope.

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, the rev counter is perfectly visible so if they were the other way round I wouldn't have noticed any problem.

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Result!
Pipe insulation works well as I was able to fit it into the channel on the door strut and force it around the whole strut. Just need to find a way of ensuring it doesn't come loose from the vibration of the door opening. Would be much easier on the cross braces as they have a gap between them and the door so, as The Hood suggests, you can tape right around them. Maybe one day I'll reorganise the garage so I can get the car further in.
Still not resolved the speedo visibilty problem but more trial and error may do it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Something that I notice about the speedo is that only the even speeds are marked. So the main UK speed limits - 30 and 70 are not. Not a big deal I suppose, but it makes it easier to spot if you are speeding when glancing at the speedo...

·
Administrator
14,607 Posts
SnowGood said:
Result!
Pipe insulation works well as I was able to fit it into the channel on the door strut and force it around the whole strut. Just need to find a way of ensuring it doesn't come loose from the vibration of the door opening. Would be much easier on the cross braces as they have a gap between them and the door so, as The Hood suggests, you can tape right around them. Maybe one day I'll reorganise the garage so I can get the car further in.
Still not resolved the speedo visibilty problem but more trial and error may do it.

Are you aware that there is a way of having MPH on the maxidot? It is an EU directive that our cars are able to display MPH and KPH. With Skoda the way around an MPH only speedo is to make the maxidot diplay KPH. But they do not have to do it all the time.If you find a friendly person with VCDS they can alter your maxidot to think it is Australian, then you can adjust it to display KPH or MPH, lots of owners have done this. If you go abroad you are able to switch to KPH. Dealers are not able to do this.

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I have read about the changes that can be made with VAG-COM but I don't have that piece of technology. Maybe I'll have to try and find a friendly owner who is local to me as I gather there are a number of mods that can only be carried out this way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have just bought a yeti in Poland the display you can turn the mph off and get a temp display instead also when the mph is turned off you get a large digital display in kph
So much for europain requirements

1 - 13 of 13 Posts