Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, has anybody bought or seen the new drl;s on thesuper skoda website? They say they are error free and I am contemplating getting some.The only thing is I dont want to get into the bother of fitting resistors. I am hoping they are just a staightforward exchange.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
E-mail them and find out before you order, all the ones fitted by others so far have had to have a resistor fitted

·
Registered
290 Posts
You have no other choice than to fit a resistor, no one has made an LED
bulb of this size with a built in circuit board to compensate for the
reduction in amps.
Its very easy, fit them outside the lamp so it disipates the heat.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
S/Skoda are saying that their new DRL's are resistor free, so until someone has got them we won't know.

And I'm shocked to see you using a Scotchlock!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I already contacted SS about there statement "NO error code on the display", their answer was:
If an error code IS displayed, a resistor would have to be fitted.

I have worked as a VOSA tech for over 40 years and lost count as to how many Scotchlocks I have fitted, as long as they in a dry, fixed position, and have been fitted correctly, they never fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all,I have emailed Super skoda myself and awaiting a reply. Will have to wait and see what they say. I wouldnt fancy going in and cutting the wiring as I'm sure its more complicated than it looks on the photo. Would that void the warranty?

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are no cutting of wires, using scotchlocks simply allows you to connect the resistor wires the the originals with a nip of a pair of pliers. Nothing done could effect the warranty as no wires are cut and the bulbs are are classed as consumables

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info on the resistors. Would it matter whichway roundthe resistor went? Or can it go on any way round? I do want the LED's as they are a lot safer in my opinion, especially now we are into the dull winter days.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The resistor is fitted across the 2 feed wires to the bulb, doesn't matter which way as it's purely a set resistance and is not polarity sensitive

Edited by: Tech-Yeti

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The drawing makes it a lot easier to understand. I am definately going toget them now,whether I have to fit the resistors or not.Many Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Do keep us informed of your success or otherwise as I'd also be interested in going down the led route... thanks, Stephen

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Anyone attempting this mod, please do not use Botch loks, yes I did say Botch, as that is exactly what these things do. They cut through the insulation, but also cut strands of the wire, reducing its csa, and therefore it's current carrying capacity. This causes the joiint to heat up, and on cooling will draw in moisture causing verdigris at the connection, which causes more problems. If in doubt consult an auto electrician who will do the job properly, without using these horrible things.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I implied the same thing earlier Kenny, but someone disagrees with us!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All,Been away at work for the last couple of months.So just a quick update on the LEDDRL'S. I thought I would try the right hand one first as there is more hand room, changed the bulb,started her up and got the dreaded bulb out symbol on the dash. Anyway carried on and fitted the left hand one, thinking I would fit the resistors afterwards. Restarted the engine and low and behold the bulb out symbol has disappeared!I have taken the car out for a spin and still no alarm. So hopefullythats it done and I won't have to fit the resistors. It has made a huge difference to the look of the car and am absolutly made up with them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Great stuff! Well done for trying them and posting the update. Would you mind putting up the web address for the one's you ordered.

Thanks, Stephen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Steve, The ones I got were from Super Skoda. However I just checked thier website and the page I got up says the item is no longer available for some reason. The package arrived with the 2 LED's and the resistors along with 4 scotchlocks. Perhaps if you contacted them they might be able to help you out. I don't know if you have used Super Skoda before? I have used them for a few bits and pieces andalways found them helpful.Like I said earlier I havent had to use the resistors, so Ihopethey canwork something out for you. Good Luck, Victor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts