Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I picked up my yeti yestreday at long last (5 month wait). Big problem at the dealer though, because I wanted the plates attached with signam adhesive pads rather than screws I was given what I thought was a single key to go and fit them myself (dealer forbiden by his boss from doing so). It had been raining so I unlocked the car and spread out my stuff in the boot, fitted the front one with no problems, then went to the rear. All going well, Ipressed the back plate home with the boot semi-latched then went to get my stuff out of the car and it had locked itself. I asked the dealer to "zap it" with the second key to be told they were both joined together locked in the boot.NEW OWNERS BEWAREthese cars lock themselves and the dealer may not warn you. I admit it was my fault the key was inside the boot, but as far as I was concerned the car was unlocked. The dealer did not have a spare key, did not have the code to program another and was completely unable to do anything. The RAC were called but although they have some sort of gun which opens cars it does not work on a Yeti as it deadlocks itself. Because the boot was not fully latched the RAC man spent over an hour with a piece of very stiff wire fed through the partially latched bootlid and managed to hookthe keys,drag them to the side of the boot and then press the release button on the fob. The other alternatives were tosmash a window, or order another key from the factory which takes up to five days. You have been warned !!!! I could not leave a door open because it was raining.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds to me like you didn't actually unlock the car, rather that you unlocked the boot. (Can you confirm that this is what might have happened?) If you so do the boot will open once and relock when shut. If you unlock the car and then open the boot the car will not lock itself again.

·
Administrator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I unlocked the car doors put some stuff inside and then unlocked andopened the boot, I closed the doors due to the rain. The salesman said that if the doors are unlocked and then closed without the key in the ignition after a short while they will re-lock. Unfortunately he told me that after the event.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi they will lock if the key is not put in the ignition, or if you only use the boot opening function, I always keep the keys in my pocket my old mg zr would do it as well. Sorry you had to find out the hard wayon your firsthours with your new yeti, dealers never tell you this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately you are not the first to be caught out with this.
For the rest of us!!

Never use the "unlock boot" button. Always unlock the whole car with the bottom of the three buttons. Opening the boot will disengage the relocking timer.

Also always keep the keys in your pocket when they are not in the ignition.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, Terfyn! You are implying that the car will not relock if it is first opened with the car opening button. I can confirm that this is the case with mine today anyway! I did wonder whether it would relock itself if I only opened the boot and then shut it.The car didnot relock; whereas on using the boot opening buttonthe boot only will unlock and relock when shut. I thought all cars with only 3 buttons did this anyway? So I, for one, cannot duplicate the OPs problem.

·
Administrator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was recently contacted by a new member who had, had an almost repeat of my problem. When you collect your Yeti make sure you have separated the key fobs and keep one in your pocket.
You can adjust the locking/unlocking to prevent this happening, but if you have had the car for all of five minutes and a disinterested salesman handing the vehicle over you will not be aware.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If I unlock the car but don't open any doors, it relocks after about a minute or so. If I've had any of the doors or the boot open then it either doesn't relock or the timing for the relock is extended by a lot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have KESSY so it doesn't matter. (smug grin emoticon here)

·
Registered
12 Posts
happened to me on my works Octavia opened car to change work boots at passenger side threw key on seat changed boots walked round to drivers door click. locked had to smash window always keep key in pocket now tam

·
Registered
2 Posts
AA guy was sent by Skoda Roadside Assistance after my 2 yr old Yeti locked the boot with my keys inside. Big drama as I was visiting family in North Devon, 150 miles away from home and the spare keys! Arriving in 50 minutes after the phone call the young man set about trying to open the door with special tools. I did not hold out much hope but after an hour of effort he called a colleague to help as he did not have all he needed on his van. The colleague arrived in 15 minutes and after another 15 they had the door open so I could climb into the boot, retrieve the keys and stop the vehicle alarm. Absolutely no damage. If a thief manages to get in the car like this it's good to know the alarm sounds VERY LOUD and the car is immobilised until it is unlocked correctly. Great result! Skoda owners beware. I had no idea that after opening the tailgate only with the middle button of the key fob it will lock as soon as the tailgate is closed. My advice - never use that middle button. Just unlock as normal and save yourself a major panic!

·
Premium Member
5,110 Posts
Skoda owners beware. I had no idea that after opening the tailgate only with the middle button of the key fob it will lock as soon as the tailgate is closed. My advice - never use that middle button. Just unlock as normal and save yourself a major panic!
This has been standard operating mode for most makes of car with an option to unlock the boot on its own and a three button key. For some while. Not just Skoda or even other VW group brands. I managed the same trick a few years ago on my previous BMW to the current one in my signature line. (That was a 2002 built 330d). Opened the boot only, in a hotel car park. Dropped keys in boot while loading and sorting some bags. Closed boot and as lid dropped, spotted the keys still in the corner of the boot! Boot immediately locked itself closed. Doh!

Called RAC whilst getting breakfast. Van arrived just as I finished eating. RAC man lifted the corner of the boot using a small air bag inflation device placed under the corner of the boot lid, near the right hinge. Inflate bag with a compressor to raise corner of boot by 2-3 cm. Peeled back the cover to the wiring connector between body and boot. Identified correct wire. Touched a voltage onto that with multimeter tool. Click! Boot open, keys retrieved! Total time 2.5 minutes. Took longer to complete the paperwork in fact. Zero damage. Boot hinge not even strained or distorted by the process. :smile:

The behaviour described in the earlier part of this thread though, is a slightly different one. Whereby if you unlock the whole car, but do NOT then shortly after put the key in the ignition slot, the car will automatically re-lock itself after a short wait of 1 or more minutes. A security arrangement in case you have left the car unlocked, or accidentally unlocked the car by a “pocket press” on a button, whilst walking away after leaving the car. But can easily catch you out, if say you have deliberately unlocked the car, then dropped the keys on a seat, whilst you do some work around the car, such as checking tyre pressures or similar. Again, not confined to Skoda or VAG. My old Mk2 Renault Scenic with a 3-Button card key did exactly the same.

KESSY equipped car owners who may be immune to that risk though, also beware. Yours is one of the easiest cars to steal and THE most common way to steal a car in 2016 and 2017. Thieves identify your car as one they have a desire for or a ready market for, either on a drive-by or by following you home. Then return to your home late at night. Using a scanner device to energise your key from outside your house, while it remains inside the house, they trigger the car to unlock, while simultaneously cloning its identity codes onto a blank key they have brought with them for the purpose. That then allows them to drive away your car whilst you are asleep. Unaware of the theft till next morning. When your car is mysteriously gone while you are left with just the keys and no sign of a house entry or break in. Your car by then is either already exported, or broken up for spares. So never retrieved.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Handy post this, and useful info. Just told my wife about it and neither of us has ever used the centre remote button because we didn't know what it was for! We'll be leaving well alone!
Anyway, handy to know. We have a golden rule about our car keys which has saved us once, but once is enough believe me.
Returning to Gatwick Airport from Zurich 4 years ago, we got to our car in long stay, and my wife was going to do the first bit of our drive home. No keys!

She searched her clothes and handbag frantically, but to no avail. We think that when we went through security in Zurich they must have been left in the x ray tray as she had had them in her pocket ready to drive home. We never found them.
So opened up my suitcase, and taped inside the lining was my own key that we had hidden there, and were off.
If you go anywhere long distance, or many miles from home, even in the UK, then always always take both keys, and keep them separate. It can save an awful lot of hassle.
We have added Car Keys x2 to our packing lists for both UK and foreign travel.
As a sobering thought.... My Brother in Law lost the keys to his Lexus LS whilst in Cannes.
The car had to be recovered to his main dealer in London, and the entire lock set and associated electronics replaced.......at a total cost of £7K including full recoding. Lexus take their vehicle security very seriously it seems.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
As The Hood was not made aware of the "locking" of the car by the salesman, when we purchased a new Renault Meganne Sport in 1998 the sales man while giving us the keys from inside the showroom had great pleasure in pressing the key fob and seeing the supprise on our faces when the indicators flashed and the doors would have been opened (having previously had to stand right next to the door to get key fobs to open cars), but he warned us that if you did not enter and insert the key in the ignition the doors would relock.
Ever since that time i remembered that and have never even left the key in the ignition or inside and shut doors from outside unless i have a window open

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Just tried every combination of unlocking and the ONLY time everything relocks after pressing the lower button is if nothing is opened, once a door or the rear hatch is opened it does not relock, and if the middle button is pressed to open rear hatch and it is opened, once closed it will relock itself without using the key fob.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Interesting on mine if I have a door open and press lock then shut the door it all locks.
I haven't tried the other doors after pressing the button before shutting the final door so cant say if they are locked at that point but they are once I shut the final door. I do this a lot when unloading press button lift stuff off rear seat use hip/bottom to shut door.

·
Registered
703 Posts
What I have found on mine is,
If I unlock the car from about 70 to 80 yards, walking towards it
I see the hazard lights flash and hear car unlock.
If I don't open a door within 30 seconds, car will re-lock.

Get to the car and open a door, do what I want within the car for minutes.
Doors won't re-lock when closing all open door/s.
I have to re-lock while walking away.

Re a spare key,
When I do EU trips, I put the spare key in my passport wallet.
Along with spare credit card and cash, hung around my neck under my shirt.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Interesting on mine if I have a door open and press lock then shut the door it all locks.
I haven't tried the other doors after pressing the button before shutting the final door so cant say if they are locked at that point but they are once I shut the final door. I do this a lot when unloading press button lift stuff off rear seat use hip/bottom to shut door.
If i press lock mine will not lock any if the drivers door is open.

If the drivers door is shut and i press lock all the shut doors will lock and the open ones will lock when closed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If i press lock mine will not lock any if the drivers door is open.

If the drivers door is shut and i press lock all the shut doors will lock and the open ones will lock when closed.
I hadn't tried with drivers door open only others and yours is the same as mine in that case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts