Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a few hundred miles short of 50000 on the clock in my '10 plate 140 Elegance 4x4 Yeti, and will soon be replacing all four tyres but don't know what to go for. This will be my second replacement set; first change I went with original Dunlop Sports (225/50 R17 94W), but want to try something different and also a bit cheaper!I have been checkingthe online dealers and like the look of the FALKEN Ziex Ze-914at just over £100 each (£106 at Blackcircles) against £140 ish for the Dunlops. Has anybody tried the FALKENS (if so, what are they like)or can anyone recommend anything else?

I will be putting normal summer tyres on as I haven't got the space or budget to get another set of wheels with winter tyres fitted. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Stewbidoo (great name by the way).I have been running Falkens on my Fabia vRS (Diesel with tonnes of torque) for a while now, haven't had any problems. They lasted 6000 miles less than original Michelins (22k instead of 28k) but price difference was enormous and more then made up of loss of miles.

Realise this doesn't relate to a Yeti, but may be useful to you anyway. I would consider putting them on my Yeti when required unless cost is not a consideration at the time (I realise that you can't put a price on safety here).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rolymo, thanks for the information. I have been looking at the Falkens for quite some time now, so am pretty determined to give them a try, but just wondered if there was anything else worth considering at that price level.Glad to hear the brand can be recommended, and from experience of use on another Skoda too.

I appreciate the comment about safety and would fully agree with you, that is why I don't want to fit any of the so called 'budget' brands. I will post a report when I have made my final decision, and let other Yeti owners know how they have performed.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Living in North Yorkshire, if you are not going to use winter tyres have you considered all season tyres?Wakev uses them and seems happy with them. My brother in law in Germany recently bought a Golf and it came with all season tyres, they get worse weather than us and he is very pleased with them so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hood for this suggestion, I will see how the 'all season' tyres compare cost and performance wise etc. before making my decision. The prices I mentioned in my original message were fully fittedand balancedetc. and inc. VAT if this helps with any other suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
The Goodyear Vector All Season seem reasonably priced, but I've been running on Kumho KU39's for the last 3 years and have been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Llanigraham, had a quick look online for your suggested tyres, but couldn't see the right load rating in my tyre size, but I will keep looking, and if anyone has other recommendations I would be happy to hear them.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
The link below is for a firm that comes to you and fits the tyres, those mentioned by Graham cost £109.14 fitted and balancedin my area. I also noticed that 225/50/17 Michelins are up to £40 dearer per tyre than 215/60/16 !!!!

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/tyre-search-results.php

Edited by: The Hood

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The Goodyear 4 seasons maybe a little more than others you are looking at, but I have found them a very good tyre.

Summer heat they grip the road like glue, in the wet they shift water very well no pulling to left or right when you hit a deep puddle, winter time they still stick to the road and in the snow they kept me moving no problem at all.

As for wear they have clocked up 21k now and have not been changed front to rear, the fronts are now 1 to 1.5mm away from the snow bar (which I think is set at 4mm), the rears are still 3mm away from the snow bar.

If I was keeping this yeti I would have replaced the worn fronts before next winter, putting the new ones on the rear and moving the rears to the front, I think the front tyres would have made it to around 30k no problem, Having the Goodyears fitted to the next one before handover, very happy with the life and performance of the all seasons.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have just sourced and bought some winter tyres for a relative. I have a set of Marangoni Meteo's on my car and they worked very well last year. My car has 16" wheels, my relatives car, like yours has 17" tyres. What a difference in terms of price and selection, in a negative sense. The prices are around £10-£20 a tyre more, same make/model where available, and that adds up over the 4 wheels. In the end I went for a set of Barum Polaris 3 for my relative, a Czech brand now owned by Continental.

I looked on the same sites for your size of wheel and the Falken seems the obvious choice, filling the gap between ditch finders and premium brand tyres. Falken sit with Marangoni, Barum, Avon, and a number of other brands, mid range, solid tyres that are perfectly fine to use for standard cars. Would you put them on a Merc S Class or Porsche, perhaps not, but for standard cars driven in a normal fashion they will do the job perfectly well for you. I don't take chance with my tyres but these offer a good product at a fair price, rather like Skoda themselves.

Incidentally, I had a set of Nokian all season tyres on my Yeti and they worked very well. Unfortunately they do not seem to be availble in your size.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to both Wakev and EdmundBlackadder for the information given. I still have about 3-4 weeks before the tyres will be changed, which should just about take me past 50000 miles. I need to get this right as we can get a lot of snow up here, but also want to balance this against journeys across the M62 every week; quiet tyres would be very welcome!
I will keep looking over the next 2-3 weeks, but suspect the Falkens will be my choice unless another stand out suggestion comes in. I will check out the Goodyear 4 seasons though.

Thanks again to all who have offered help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts