Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site, and have had a Yeti since October last year. It's a 4 x 4, 170 Elegance - 60 plate, and we love it!. The original Dunlop SP 01's are getting ready to be replaced. I have been looking round for a new set of tyres, and have seen all the comments about Vector 4 Seasons. These attract me as we live on the edge of Bodmin Moor, and when it is wet it is very wet!. Not much problem with snow this year - we didn't have any. I have been offered Michelin Primacy 3's which seem to get good reviews, but not sure about putting them on the Yeti. Any experiences out there? Would be grateful for advice, comments etc.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Only had the sp 1 on my first yeti not good below 7C, on my current yeti I had the dealer change the sp 1 to Goodyear 4 seasons before hand over.

The Goodyears are good at shifting water and good in the snow and cold, not had Michelin so can't comment on them, are they all season or just summer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. The Michelin's are 'summer' tyres, as are the SP01's. Interested in your experiences of the 4 Seasons. How long have you been driving on them?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Had them for two years now, they have done 17k and the fronts still have about 6mm left on them the rears have about 7mm.

I would say that the fronts should go past 24-25k, and then the rears will be put on the front and new on the rear (tend to keep the best on the rear), they will never be as good as a full winter but the amount of snow we have each year they keep me moving

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
I had not replied as I have not had summer Michelins on my Yeti yet.

I have always used Michelins on previous cars getting high mileage out of all of them. I have been using Michelin Alpins over the winter and think they are brilliant. Driving in snow was like being on rails.
They are much quieter than the Dunlop's, MPG is better, and risking the wrath of others, the ride is much much better, possibly because they are 16" rather than 17" which gives slightly more air between the road and the rim. So much so I am not looking forward to putting the Dunlops back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks WakeV. Very interesting about the 4 Seasons. How do you find them in summer (not that we have had much of that lately!)? I think the SP01's will do me a another couple of months then I will need to change them. Got a trip to France coming up in June so will probably be before that. One tyre shop has said they couldn't get hold of the Goodyears as 'they are really winter tyres'. I find that strange, when they are branded '4 Seasons'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 'Hood'. I think I saw that you have bought tyres from Openeo. I believe they are in Poland. How was the experience of buying from them? I would hate to think that I might have a problem with the tyres, when bought from such a long distance. Any other experiences of buying from them out there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I bought from OPONEO last year. No problem - smooth transaction - tyres arrived by courier a few days later. Just pay by credit card to protect your self. Incidentally, I bought Vredestein Quadrac 3's which came out near top in a BILD magazine survey. I have had winter tyres before but SWIMBO objects to the spares being stored in HER shed! These are all season tyres with the SNOWFLAKE symbol so also qualify as winter tyres. My snow monster arrived with continentals that were a tad skippy in the rear end. THe difference between them and the Quadracs is incredible. Would definitely recommend them. Anyway best of luck with whatever you choose!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
While I have not used them on the Yeti so far, I have used Michelins on other cars (TDi and petrol) for 20 years. They have always gone about 80,000 km on the front, and between 90,000 and 100,000 on the rear. They will be my first choice tyre when the OEM Continentals need changing. I have never had the long life that Michelins have given me, with any other brand of tyre.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
SteveJ said:
Thanks WakeV. Very interesting about the 4 Seasons. How do you find them in summer (not that we have had much of that lately!)? I think the SP01's will do me a another couple of months then I will need to change them. Got a trip to France coming up in June so will probably be before that. One tyre shop has said they couldn't get hold of the Goodyears as 'they are really winter tyres'. I find that strange, when they are branded '4 Seasons'.

They have never given me any feeling of letting go summer or winter, I willdefiantly be getting the same again, be itreplacing when worn out or on a new yeti.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wakev (and others). Looks like it will be the 4 Seasons then. I may buy them online and have them fitted locally. Seems there are good prices from UK online sellers which beat Openeo. I will check in a few weeks and get it sorted. Signing off for a few days - got a wedding to go to. First trip to London for me and the Yeti.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts