Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hello to all forum members, what a great resource this and you lot are!. Thanks!

Anyhow, I'm about to buy a Yeti, in Spain and wondered if there was anyone here and that had any experience of doing such a thing. I want the 1.2 ( I think ) although advice on this would be much appreciated. I will be using the car for local stuff (and occasional towing of a motorbike) but also 3 or 4 times a year driving from Sanlucar, right down at the bottom of Spain, to Lancaster, right up near the top of England!, So, would a diesel make a lot more sense???

Also, when you bought your Yetis. what else did you consider? So far I've crossed out Quashqais, Berlingos, Picassos and Fiat 500Ls.

Opionion on this would be also appreciated!. Its kind of a crowdsourcing car buying scheme which has good reviews in Spain and plans to or has expanded throughout Europe!

http://everybodycar.com/es/oferta-coches-descuento/oferta-skoda-yeti-1-2-tsi-ambition-4x2-gasolina-nuevo-cu200-ca15871-moxyeti

Cheers and best wishes
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi bolero and welcome to the forums.
In your circumstances, I would be going for the 2 litre diesel in DSG. Towing and long-haul driving are better suited to the DSG diesel, especially with the higher powered engine.
As far as options/upgrades are concerned, for a motorbike rider I would recommend floor mats, a boot mat and some water resistant seat covers. Xenon headlights are an option I would tick the next time I purchased. Heated seats might be handy for the times when you are back in the UK. Also good quality window tinting would have to be a "must have" in Spain. A dash mat would be good too...if you can get them there.
Don't forget when you get a tow bar fitted try to get the 13 pin electrical plug, not the 7 pin, as the 13 pin connectors easily integrate into the Yeti's electrics and seem be the least troublesome variety among this forums members.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hola Bolero,

I envy you being in Sanlucar. Better weather than the UK right now and home to the beautiful Manzanilla.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 1.2 Elegance, expected mid-Oct. I thought long and hard about the choice of engines and test drove the 1.8 ,the 2.0 diesel and the 1.6 Greenline. My needs are mainly short trips around NE London where I live and the occasional trip to Norfolk to see some family there and one European road trip per year. I am not sure that I have made the right choice for the long journeys, but we will see. Previous car was an E320 Merc estate so I will miss the power but not the running costs. My son turns 17 next year so I have gone from Band 38 insurance in the Merc to band 10 on the Yeti with the small engine. I also wanted him to learn on a manual transmission.

I went for the Yeti after test driving the following: Qashqai, Duster, ix35, Sportage, Tiguain and Outback. The combination of price, feel of the cabin, offer from Skoda (0% and 3 years free servicing) and looks of the Yeti had me sold.

I have a nagging feeling that (hopefully) we will get the lad to pass his test, and then I will move up to the 2.0 diesel or 1.8. However the 1.2 was much more powerful when test driving than I expected. Good luck with your decision and purchase

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hola Bolero!Welcome to the site. I have a 2ltr.diesel 140 bhp. which has been to the south coast of Spain, as far as Gibraltar twice and with which I tow a caravan. Mine has 13 pin electrics which as plxbr says give the least problems. It seems installers are not all very good at coding the cars electronics to the tow bar . The 2ltr gives a very relaxed drive from Benelmadena to Calais without much cog swapping on the hills, and returns about 50 mpg. ( if you are fairly light footed). The caravan knocks that down to a touch under 30 mpg. Diesel is a bit cheaper your side of the channel as well. I can't comment on the smaller engined versions, having never driven any.
Enjoy your new car which ever version you get..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Thanks the info. I will try the diesel. Is the dsg flappy paddle? Can I change manually?

What a great place this is!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hola Bolero.I live a tad further north from you but do'nt hold that against me please.I have a 2lt diesel 110 manual and love it.Had him for nearly a year now and have 22,000 klms up so yes,love driving him as well.Problem for you isthat if you like him as much as I / we all reckon you will,you might be better off with the bigger motor.You know how easy it is to drive out here and rack up mileage so an oil burner might be your best choice.Whichever model you go for I do hope you enjoy him,but,be prepared to use him a little more than perhap's you plan too.As for extras I hope your dealer is a bit more clued up than mine is,all my extras have been obtained from an online store overseas (very easy and very reliable) to the point where the dealer has asked if I'll get some bit's for him.He's avving a larf he is.Anyway,enjoy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. I've never bought a new car in Spain before. Should be interesting!I do have a 27 year old Renault 5 at the moment tho :) . Do you ride a Suzuki? I will definitely try the diesel before I order anything...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bandit 12 but very very trick,147bhp at the wheel and loads o chassis mods.Sadly now sold after third heart attack and nobody wanting to insure an old f!!t with dodgy ticker.Mum say's I can have a cruiser type girlie one or maybe a new triumph twin but not sure I'd be satisfied so hence we treated ME to Yodo.Must admit to missing two wheel's but at 66 and the mind of an 18 yr old I reckon it was a disaster waiting to happen.Twas a great choice though as it's been many a year since I had a car I just kept wanting to get in and drive just for the sheer pleasure of driving,hence the 22,000 klms in ten months or so.You never know,we might just meet up on the road one day.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
Suzuki said:
or maybe a new triumph twin but not sure I'd be satisfied so hence we treated ME to Yodo.Must admit to missing two wheel's

As a previous owner of a T120 Bonneville I don't think you would have been disappointed. Mind you mine cost £396 pounds brand new, but I suppose they might have changed prior to their extinction, and resurrection.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hahaha!!Your quite right there Hoody.I had a blue n silver 62 bonnie back in 63/64 and at that time twas a cracking bike.Like car's though thing's have moved on and after big bhp it's hard to go back to 45/50 hp twins,apart from the maintainance requirements and sourcing parts.£298.00 from Pride and Clarks it was,those were the day's.Mind you,I was only on about £2.10s a week apprentice wage's at the time so it was a lump of money for me.The late Triumph twins are good bikes for sure,very reliable and brilliantly engineered but just not overly exciting in the performance stakes.That's just the reason mum say's she might consider letting me have one of em.Cor,getting permission from the wife,just like being a kid again.Hmmm,in fact that's just what she say's I am so maybe she has something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent. bikers too. That bandit sounds good, mine is a TL1000 motor hung in a beautiful Italian trellis frame, called a Vraptor! I love it and Spain is perfect for enjoying it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Boring,BORING.Cor,you dont have to try too hard to get someone to bite on here Hoody,now all ya gotta do is reel us in.lol.Nice bike the TL,have ridden em back in the uk but never tried a V Raptor.They do tell me the chassis was a great improvement over the original Suzy effort.Have a ride up here for a cuppa,be a good excuse for a ride out and you can have a new tattoo at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The new Suzuki SX4 S-Cross is eco-friendly in 1.6 diesel form (lowest co2 in class and 65mpg even in 4x4 form (?)) and cheaper than rivals, with you paying in cheaper trim (plasicky controls) and bumpier ride (torsion beam rear suspension). Excellent value by the looks of it though. I'm not sure when it's going to be available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shall research that new Suzuki, cheers. As for a rideout and a brew, count me and the GF in, she is a tattoo addict! Just how far north are you?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. We're off Yeti shopping to Seville on Friday... 15k if I scrap the Renault but don't take the finance. Seems OK but I hope to wrangle some more :)

YetiFest is on!
Edited by: bolero

·
Registered
25 Posts
bolero said:
Well. We're off Yeti shopping to Seville on Friday... 15k if I scrap the Renault but don't take the finance. Seems OK but I hope to wrangle some more :)

YetiFest is on!
The new Facelifted Yeti is 5% more expensive than the outgoing model in the Uk, so I'd get your order in quick (if it isn't already too late!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi. Thanks for that. Mine is in the showroom waiting to go, so long as I choose blue or brown! I think perhaps there is better availability for LHD cars but that may only be my impression. I do prefer the current model, if only for the positioning of the foglights...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hiya bolero (Steve).Like you I do pref the original model but guess thing's have gotta move forward.Just feel they got it so right first time.Blue or brown,hmmmm.Have you not got the time to look about (no offence to owners of blue or brown ) as you really should choose what you want rather than be nudged into a convenient buy.Your gonna own him for a long time cos your gonna love im.As for how far north,use Mojacar on the coast for a landmark and I'm about half an hour inland from there.Hour or so from Baza going towards the coast or two hours or so from Granada.There,that should confuse you.If the GF is into a bit of ink you aint gonna waste the journey,just give me plenty of warning so the pills have time tokick inbefore i start work.lol
PM me if you want more info and I'll send you some tel numbers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Suzuki. I know Mojacar and Baza and lived in Granada last year, got some mates that way too. As for the colour, according to Skoda Spain there are no Yetis in Cadiz province and only these 2 in Seville. I start work again next week so I want to get transport sorted before if possible. TBH the colour is not so important cos I hope to be mainly inside it!

The GF will definitely appreciate more ink!

I will pm you shortly.. cheers!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts