Yeti Owners Club banner

No Gears after wet (manual)

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Epicyclic 
#1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem or has observations. I could not get any gears today for 5 minutes when starting up, having been left 2 days outside. Yes, I had been through some deep water but not over sill deep.

It did solve itself but was not the failure effect I expected. No gear selectable, clutch up or down, no gear crashing either. Leaver would not go past engagement point, very slight load on engine if you pushed really hard and fact you could roll the car (on flat) forward and back using v small torque transfer caused. After about 5 minutes slotted in 5th and then immediately all the other gears.

The persistence seemed to break the jam that had occurred, if anyone else experiences it. Normally expect the clutch to rust and just get gear crashing?? What happened?

#2 ·
I've never had that problem with mine I think you need to get in touch with the dealer or Skoda UK (orboth)to see if it needs warranty attention. Also by raising it now if the dealer comes out with no fault found (expected result) and the problem reappears there will be a record of the first incident.

#4 ·
I had a very similar problem in a previous vehicle. It turned out to be the linkage where the cables met the selector rods on the gearbox. The dealer sorted it out.

#5 ·
Thanks for the helpful comments. It does sound like a linkage issue more than water per-see. I have no sign of a re-occurrence but will email dealer, as Hood suggests, to register its occurrence and see if it is known issue.

Will let you know if there is any feedback.

It has been going through the floods like a good-un ever since. Thanks

#6 ·
Flood water up to the sills on the way home tonight but speed down revs up and no problems. Will use a different route tomorrow as it was still possible to see water coming up through covers in the road and the surrounding fields have much standing water. Hope the dealer sorts your problem.

#7 ·
It's not over yet had to be rescued this morning when I rolled to halt with no gears. 5 mins of wiggling-jiggling made no difference. 1hour later breakdown van confirms no gears orders recovery truck, 2 hours later Ok on and off truck. Skoda can't find a fault and ask for over night test.

#9 ·
I'm not surprised they cannot find a fault, but at least you have a cast iron witness. If you had an automatic I would have suspected a hydraulic fault which clears when the fluid cools down, as it would have whilst you waited for the recovery vehicle. Presumably they will run the car up to full temperature when testing, that may sound a bit "anti" but I work for a very large firm which has an "MT section" and they are always overlooking the blindingly obvious. I hope they have supplied you with a comparable loan car.

#10 ·
One of them is taking it home tonight presumably to test hot and cold, they have said they don't doubt there is a problem.

My fault has been as prevalent when cold as hot, a bit more analysing leads me to believe it is something clutch related, I guess it is a hydraulic clutch. When the gears were ok I did try to engage without depressing the clutch and indeed there was no hint of any gear clashing (synchro mesh has moved on over the decades since I last had clutch problems) but there was a change in engine note. QED: when the problem is there the lever attempts to select gears but the clutch is not parting. There were moments of an intermediate state where gear changes were resistant prior to full failure. The RAC man did the clutch pumping and it still did not work but I had forgotten to try it myself. If it is a cable who knows what is going on. I remember now my last problem like this was on a Rover 218SLD and it turned out to be the bracket failing and becoming flexible!

A golf blue motion, they apologised profusely and said they would change it if I needed something larger during the week but I could have the golf immediately. Good Night

#11 ·
Thought an update was in order, although not much progress to report. Yeti still with dealer, 4 days now and fault has not reoccurred. This is disappointing in that I am without my Yeti but have to say very impressed with Skoda recovery and Capital Skoda Newport. I have had at least 2 calls a day giving me updates and checking replacement car OK. Pleasingly not suggesting I have it back until fault reoccurs. Rather saying they fully understand there is a fault and are using the car until it reoccurs.

No stand in Yeti available, they seem to use Europcar to provide cars which have to be VAG if not Skoda, but they are swapping out the Golf for a Octavia tomorrow to be a bit near what I am used to. A disappointing occurrence in a 6 month old vehicle but very impressed so far with how it has been handled.

#13 ·
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are treating you properly and not just dismissing the problem. This problem is quite puzzling so I am eager to hear about the final outcome. I thought it may have something to do with the dual mass flywheel as they have a history of probs on the diesels, but still scratching my head as to what else it could be
. Intermittent problems are so annoying to sort out

#14 ·
Automatic reaction is to think its a gear linkage problem but clearly given your explanations and the dealers lack of success in sorting it out, it must be something more sinister.

Hope you get it sorted soon and keep us posted of the outcome after all it potentially affects us all.

Andy

#15 ·
Update: Car returned. In the week that they had it only once did they experience difficult gear selection. Apparently Skoda maintenance procedure for any such problems is to change the gearbox oil; so that is what they had done. The gearbox worked fine afterwards so it was declared a fix.When I asked for root cause analysis and results of the spectral analysis from the oil, they said that Skoda procedure did not dictate spectral analysis for the fault but fully understood why I was asking as they too would be happier if they had got to the root cause and fully appreciated under the circumstances that my confidence in the car would take time to return. The business unit manager is calling me on Monday to discuss further and hopefully assure me that they will support me getting to a position where I have full confidence in the Yeti. The service has still be very good if a little sheepish at the end.It did come back shiny as new inside and out.

40 Miles so far and perfect gear change, as is everything else. Glad to be back in my Yeti will feel even better after 1000 miles (trouble free).

#16 ·
Thanks for the update Ferdie. I can quite understand your wanting to have some thing more certain in terms of causes for the problem but here is hoping that there is no recurrence.

#17 ·
Well done Ferdie, a spectrum analysis is only about £30.00 so I'd keep pushing that. If you know what oil was in it you could always contact the oil co. as they may be very interested - having said that some are more pro-active than others...

#19 ·
Thanks for the support fellas. I am not convinced that fresh oil will sort it but fingers crossed that an oil change and general checks of linkage etc. has cleared the problem.

I'd have been happy to pay £30 for an oil check if I had known that was the way things were going, I imagine it is the recycling vat by now but will ask Monday when I talk to the Business Unit Manager.

I shall be staying out of the fast lane of the motorway for a while in case I need to make an unplanned detour to the hard shoulder!

#20 ·
Ferdie said:
Thanks for the support fellas. I am not convinced that fresh oil will sort it but fingers crossed that an oil change and general checks of linkage etc. has cleared the problem.

I'd have been happy to pay £30 for an oil check if I had known that was the way things were going, I imagine it is the recycling vat by now but will ask Monday when I talk to the Business Unit Manager.

I shall be staying out of the fast lane of the motorway for a while in case I need to make an unplanned detour to the hard shoulder!

Hi Ferdie, now that you have been driving your Yeti with new gearbox oil, since the no gears problem, would you like to provide an update? Did the new gearbox oil fix the problem?

#21 ·
Update: been away this week so only have put 500 miles on clock but Yeti has behaved impeccably. Still don't know how it could have come about but seems OK for now.

Pleased the say the Business Manager did phone, in fact he phoned 5 times to get me. He said he did not mind contacting me over the problem because it is such a rare event that a customer has a problem. Also they stood by their car; as they owed me duty of care as seller, even outside warranty would take into consideration this event and to always go and talk to him if there was any issue.

Have to say no issue with recommending Capitol Skoda in Newport they have been very good and fair. Fingers crossed I don't have to test them any further!

I will update this thread if anything happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.