Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several weeks lockdown, poor Yeti is filthy; a mixture of dust, bird droppings and miscellaneous debris is all over it. Due to health problems (I can't do anything too strenuous) I normally have the cars washed at Tescos..... but am not able to do that under lockdown, so am going to have to find a way to do it myself. Can anyone suggest an easy method that will shift the dirt without me having to scrub strenuously? I have a pressure washer, but that will produce too much overspray for the patience of my tetchy neighbour! A few years back I seem to remember discussion about snow foam.... does anyone have any experience of this? It sounds gentle and effective, but is it? Or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
830 Posts
In my experience of using snow foam it's good for starting the car washing and will remove some of the dirt and dust, but if you are expecting it to clean as well as a bucket, wash mitt and Johnsons Baby Bath you are expecting too much.
That said it's a good idea to get rid of bird droppings as soon as you can as they can damage the clear lacquer layer of the paint. An old towel soaked in hot water and placed over the offending splats for several minutes will soften them enough for removal by normal washing - or the pressure washer when the neighbour is out. :)

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
Any neighbour with teenagers looking to earn a bit of pocket money of what ever you would have paid Tesco? Maybe it's a generational thing but I used to earn my pocket money that way.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Snowfoam is a good way of removing stuck on dirt as it gives a prolonged soak (apply foam, go in for tea for half an hour) then wash off, but does not remove everything. A good way of removing bird droppings is to cover it with soaked kitchen paper and after half an hour use the paper to gently wipe it off. A good foaming it quite satisfying but takes a lot of removing from the driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Don't you still need pressure to put the snowfoam on? Thus upsetting his neighbour.

I would say **** him if its anything like some around here:LOL::LOL:

BTW i think the lot in Tesco's have all been deported, Asda, Sainsburys also.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The best stuff i use is a splash of "pressure washer" stuff i syphoned out of a 5 gal tub when i was at work mixed in with car wash, imo brings a sparkle up on the paintwork and does not leave streaks, just wash off with hose or watering can

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Are we talking the illegal immigrant car washers who wandered supermarket car parks with a trolley, a bucket and a boxful of cloths? Or the automated roller brush car wash at the Tesco? Like Mouldy Paul said, all the automated roller brush car washes around my way are still operating. Alongside their connected fuel forecourts.

Is it the spray drift from the pressure washer that bothers your neighbour? Or the noise? Could your pressure washer lines extend as far as the end of the drive, so you could wash your car out on the road? Where the drift has further to decay before it annoys your neighbour? I used to have a Wolf pressure washer for 5 years, that was horrendously noisy. To the extent I tended to avoid using it myself, purely because of its noise. Before that a couple of Bosch uprights and way back, a little shoe-box sized JCB branded unit, whose power belied its meagre size. Last year I got fed up with the noisy Wolf and its constant breakages and o-ring seal failures, and replaced it with a proper Karcher unit. Should have put up the money to do that years ago. The difference is amazing for not that much more £s. I did my homework with Which this time, and bought the Karcher with the lowest decibel level of any washer they have tested. It’s power however is also far superior to the Wolf and is far better at cleaning paving and patio slabs, conservatory roof, etc.

I did once had a neighbour like that, when in a rented a house in Chippenham for 6-months. After he complained I offered to lend him the washer. That stopped all further complaints.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Are we talking the illegal immigrant car washers who wandered supermarket car parks with a trolley, a bucket and a boxful of cloths? Or the automated roller brush car wash at the Tesco? Like Mouldy Paul said, all the automated roller brush car washes around my way are still operating. Alongside their connected fuel forecourts.
o_O "Automated Roller wash" !!!!! (n)(n)(n)Have you ever visited a supermarket in Wrexham???:LOL::LOL:

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
My father in law took his Volvo through a car wash on a frosty morning, you should have seen the damage, my Yeti is not going anywhere near an automated wash. Yes you need a pressure washer for snowfoam and a decent one at that, my washer is very quiet so noise is not an issue.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your input.
I have a Karcher pressure washer which is fine for use on the garden furniture and flagstones etc.in my back garden where the spray drift annoys no-one but me. Unfortunately at the front of the house where the Yeti and the ancient Peugeot live there is not enough room to avoid baptising the neighbour's windows (and mine!) when its going full blast. I assume using the pressure washer to apply snow foam might be possible, as there is presumably not so much drift? After a good soak I might be able to gently swish over with a very soft broom, and I could then rinse just using a hose and normal mains pressure. Not up to leathering off, or bending low to do sills etc, or to applying wax etc, ..... but the poor car would be a lot better than it is at present even if the result wouldn't win any concours d'elegance.
We are isolating/shielding due to underlying medical conditions, so are avoiding going anywhere near supermarkets (even the car parks), carwashes etc. Fortunately Mr Sainsbury put us on his list of priority home delivery customers, so we are getting weekly grocery deliveries to our door. We actually feel privileged, and in a much better position than many many younger people.... the pensions arrive regularly every month, and we haven't got the dilemma of whether to go to work or not, nor do we face the loss of our jobs..... our isolation is deep, and we are very troubled about not being able to visit our learning-disabled son in his special needs unit, not least because it is so difficult to explain to him what is going on. But all that said we are in a much better place than most people, security-wise, and feel very much for the rest of society.
Incidentally, the Tesco crew (of very hard-working eastern Europeans) used to run their own business in the Tesco car park, but Tesco bought them out. Same crew, but now they work for Tesco. No drive-through machines (which I would never go near anyway, having had my fingers burned in the past!), all done by human operatives and to a high standard... but not cheap. I don't begrudge the cost, as I can't normally do it myself. But I'm in the position of not having other people I can impose on, even if I dared to take the risk of falling foul of Covid.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Despite the car wash attached to my workplace, my Yeti is washed outside my house with my own delicate hands. I've seen the way that roller beast is maintained

1 - 12 of 12 Posts