Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to feel like I've bought a nugget. I hear strange noises like a dripping noise from over the driver seat when I put on the AC whilst the car is stationery but theres no leaks and when the car is parked up for say a half hour or so I'll hear what sounds like the cd changer changing cd''s which is strange because I dont use it, the wife says 'if you look for a problem you'll find one' 馃槄 so true but the recent thing is this, I brought himself around to the carwash as I haven't washed him since I bought him a month ago, I took the aerial off (just incase it broke) and upon starting him after the wash a warning light for one of my lights popped up, so drove him home, had a look round and found that it was one of the rear reg number plate lights that had died, gave it a few taps with my finger and it came on and the warning light was gone. It happened a few more times since so I'm wondering is this an issue anyone's had before? I read a few threads about water ingress and watched the video about how to change the lights, so I'll pop them out later and have a look but if anyone can add to what else to look out for, it would be much appreciated 馃憤
Ps. I bought my yeti through a private sale so there's no taking it back to any dealer.

Premium Member
I have the same noise with the radio/cd.
Don't think it is a problem, be interested to know what exactly it is.
Told the grandchildren there is a little man in there altering the cd stack.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same noise with the radio/cd.
Don't think it is a problem, be interested to know what exactly it is.
Told the grandchildren there is a little man in there altering the cd stack.
馃槃 I'm not too bothered about the cd noise, just wish it wouldn't happen when sitting in the car watching a scary movie at 2am on my lunch break.
Me: completely sucked into the movie.
Car: CLACK CLACK CLACK 馃懟
Me: :eek: aaahhhh

Premium Member
... a warning light for one of my lights popped up, so drove him home, had a look round and found that it was one of the rear reg number plate lights that had died, gave it a few taps with my finger and it came on and the warning light was gone. It happened a few more times since so I'm wondering is this an issue anyone's had before?
Yes - but not (yet) in 7.5 years with the Yeti. Just on dozens of other cars in the past. Usually caused by a poor contact in the light unit concerned.

Suggestion:
  • Remove the no. plate light concerned (as if you were planning to change the bulb).
  • Give the wiring connector鈥檚 contacts a clean by unplugging the connector. (Grip and squeeze the two prongs together on the short edges of the rectangular connector to release the plug from the socket, then pull and wiggle to withdraw the plug from the socket).
  • If you have any contact cleaner spray to hand, give them a quick, small dose while you have the unit unplugged.
  • Then plug it back in.
  • So by giving the contacts a good scratch up to improve their connection.
  • Give the (festoon C5W) bulb a little turn or two in its holder while you are there. For the same purpose.
  • Perhaps remove it temporarily, while you make sure the metal spring holders are gripping it tight enough, especially if it seems loose in its clips.
  • If the bulb glass looks blackened at all on its inner surface, then replace the bulb.
  • Check if it is working OK by turning on the sidelights.
  • Then replace the unit into the tailgate.

Wait a few days/weeks/months to see how long the problem remains cured?

Premium Member
I don't have a CD player in mine but occasionally when stopping engine you can hear motors running from the back and front, have got used to it now.

Administrator
There is something about head units with CDs that happen on VAG cars based on experience with the old Touran. On that when you parked up with the radio off on occasions you would come back to the car and find it had turned itself on. The fix for it seemed to be to leave a CD in the CD player and it never reoccurred. Take the CD out and it would happen again at some time. Started when the car was about four years old and out of warranty of course.

Premium Member
I have noticed the noise whilst sitting in the car (perhaps when waiting for someone, :whistle::whistle:not just sitting in it waiting to hear something) with the engine turned off and key in ignition.
Never had it turn on by itself.

Registered
I did read somewhere that many cars now go through a self test procedure after you switch the ignition off. The whirring noise could either be the result of a component being tested or more than likely the HVAC flaps closing?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update on the rear plate light: After removing the light unit with that helpful video I found through a link on a previous thread and from Flintstones suggestions on cleaning the bulb connection, the faulty one is working again and it hasn't thrown up any fault codes.
Thankyou all for responding to my queries about the strange noises and the lights, I guess my Yeti isn't a nugget after all 馃槅

Registered
I've been working to track down a faulty numberplate light. My first attempt - removing the bulb, gazing quizzically at it, and putting it back worked until the next journey, then it was back.
Next time I reseated the bulb again, cleaned the bulb's wire terminals, and removed and reseated the plug-in connector. Again, it worked until part-way through the next journey when the dashboard warning reappeared.
Then I swapped the entire lamp unit to the other side, which should prove prove whether the fault lay in the wiring or connector, and the fault moved with the lamp unit, so it was looking like the bulb was iffy. To finally tie it down I moved the bulb only into the other lamp unit, and the fault still exists. Next step - buy another bulb. Typically, I have several of the traditional festoon-type bulbs, but not one of the correct type. 馃槃

Registered
That's true, and a second or even third attempt at closing is sometimes required. If another door is open there's no problem, or if you remember to open a window a crack it helps - but who remembers to do that every time? My default is just to let the tailgate drop on its own from the point where it wants to. Sometimes it works...other times...

Registered
I think I'll do that, as closing at the first try is unpredictable. I hate having to make multiple attempts to close it. I remember seeing a thread on the stop adjustment somewhere on forum.

Registered
Hooray - thanks for that! I'm going to monitor the situation for a little while and see just what the success rate is. I also recognise that giving the tailgate a little encouragement is an option, but not so inviting when the tailgate is wet or covered in mud, as it often is. I don't mind so much, but 'er indoors isn't so keen.

Administrator
Think that should be in yetipedia but don't see it there. Is it on the list?

Registered
Think that should be in yetipedia but don't see it there. Is it on the list?
There was another post from The Hood that I came across which contained a link for the same problem. The link didn't work so I took a screen-grab and tried to post it but keep getting a message about 'unable to complete operation due to insufficient memory'.

Administrator
Sorry about the broken link. Some of the old links were broken by the change over to the new forum platform but if you can remember let us know where the old link was and we can see if we can fix it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts