Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tommorow I officially become an OAP, does anyone reccomend where to buy the cap, slippers and grumpy kit that goes with it.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
Is that a 60 year old OAP or a 65 year old OAP?
Don't forget that government changes permitting you also get chauffer driven free of charge by your local bus company. Bus pass eligability is at retirement age for women, which means mine comes three years late. You also get reduced prices all over the place, pictures, days out, B&Q etc

If you own a Yeti you will not have time for a cap and slippers, and how can you be grumpy when you have a Yeti to play with.

Sothat'sdrinks for all members of theYeti owners cluband Dan are on you then

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Happy Birthday
be very careful with the candles on the cake. And don't forget you must blow them all out in one go

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Nappy Birthday. In Wales everyone gets their bus pass at 60!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The Hood" replied: Is that a 60 year old OAP or a 65 year old OAP?

Got my bus pass but have not used it.
Got my Norfolk Council discount card.
Got my B&Q Diamond card.

What else does anyone suggest ?

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
Well Tech Yeti one thing you must not do is act your age! SWMBO and I repeatedly embarass our kids!!! And at present we can only practice being retired.
Passed a National express coach today, written on the side was "if you are over 60 i'll give you 30% off".

Graham, The bus pass at 60 is changing, it's set atthe retirement age for women, women born in 1953 will retire at 63, born 1954 retire at 64, born 1955 retire 65 with the bus pass keeping up.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That might apply in englandshire, but the WAG can and have made their own rules!!

Cymru am Byth!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
forget all the OAP stuff i am 67 with a heavy right foot with a 170 brake horse yeti and love it
give the boy racers a fright at times great fun. they dont expect a oap to drive so fast
BUT am still grumpy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Back in the mists of time ( about 13 years ) when I retired my wife bought me my first grumpy kit for beginners, that was soon outgrown and I got advanced level quite quickly.the flat cap as now been replaced with a Tilly I find it keeps the rain off off my pipe better and the Condor ready rubbed seems to burn better also find my glasses don't steam up so readily.the B&Q card comes in handy and the bus pass is used occasionally, looking back I would say retirement is the best job I ever had i mind you it took my a good 20 minutes to get used to it ,happy days looking forward to the next 20 years.,if plod would leave his speed gun in his van life would be a dream.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Urrell said:
I got my bus pass at 60.

And me!
And between October and March I can even use it on some train journeys.

My wife (under 60, just) got annoyed whilst we were in Canada. I was chatting to the ticket seller at a cinema in Toronto that gave discount to "Seniors", and commented that in the UK we get lots of discounts when we reach 60, but in Canada they only came in at 65. His reply was "I can't count" and he sold me 2 senior rate tickets. Sheila was insulted that she had become that before here time!!

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Sounds a very Canadian kind of pragmatic response to me. I have relatives in both Saskatchewan and Vancouver Island. Spent 1975 and early part of76 living & working there.

Back in planet Englandshire, I discovered to my surprise that I was eligible at 60 for a Senior Railcard. VERY useful that has been for the last few months too!

But the best bit about being an "old codger" is going rallying for the fun of it with a mate who is 5 years older then me - and stilloccasionally managing totake event class wins fromthe teams of 25-year olds in similar machinery! We achieved that in 2010 and 11 in the national tarmac championship. Unfortunately that car and driver have been out of action since, while I've been having considerably less fortune with a different driver, due to mechanical unreliability in a self prepared car. But that may all change later this year......

Most satisfying moment was on Manx National a while back, when we started a 9-mile stage 1 minute after a pair of "youngsters" who didn't know us,in a near equivalent 1600cc 240bhp screamer, and managed to catch them, overtake and leavethem behind - in the dark! They were gob smacked! Unfortunately they took the minute back next day, bit by bit over 10 stages in daylight. But the overnight satisfaction was worth the effort!

Was competing two weekends ago against a driver named "Bob Bean" - in his mid-80's and still just as fast in a rally car as he was at 25. Great leveller this sport.

Edited by: Flintstone

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Hood wrote,born 1955 retire 65 with the bus pass keeping up.Born 1955 is now retire at 66, unfortunately

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Flintstone said:
Most satisfying moment was on Manx National a while back, when we started a 9-mile stage 1 minute after a pair of "youngsters" who didn't know us,in a near equivalent 1600cc 240bhp screamer, and managed to catch them, overtake and leavethem behind
I love that as it's a bit like youngsters on sports bike don't like it when an old chap on a bike weighing 540 kg overtakes them on track at Cadwell Park, a little circuit knowledge + stump pulling torque of a 1600cc V twin and good tyres is very addictive

·
Registered
138 Posts
Age is just a number I am 70 and my partner is 65 and we are still driving to and from Malaga 3 or 4 times a year. at 1500 miles each way. I expect a lot of people are saying what are those to silly old s*ds doing driving round Europe but we enjoy and are not hurting anybody else (well not often) so why not. Today we drove from Tours in mid France back to Banbury via Paris what an experience. We hope to be going back again in August for another month. Retirement is something to be enjoyed.

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
I retired on Friday June 4th in 2010 and we then moved house to Whitby on Monday June 7th. No stress at all as we were looking forwards to the move. We even slipped in a leaving lunch for colleagues on the Monday whilst the removal men got on with things. We moved from Berkshire and have matched all the Northern stereotypes: we have a greyhound, I wear caps most of the time and say ee bah gum at regular intervals. I was luck to be able to retire early and it's the best thing I did. No early starts, no M25, no stress, no overcrowded hospitals, friendlier people and lovely countryside. We do voluntary work and keep as busy as we were when working. One of the pleasures is doing things in serial order rather than in parallel, so no more rushing to finish things at weekends. All that plus a Yeti!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome Tech-Yeti to the retired brigade . I assure you there is no kit or indeed any information either written or verbal on Grumpyness , but on the other hand I can absolutely guarantee that your specific Grumpyness will come completely naturally . One day a little something will go wrong and afterwards you'll be surprised how grumpy you became , don't worry , the old grey cells are still their ,eager but reacting differently . Just smile to yourself and think hmmmm I'll get even better at this grumps as I grow older
.I was 61 and 8 months when officially could receive my bus pass , also i'll be 66 and 8 months when I receive state pension to become a OAP . being born in late 1951 put me in this sliding scale position . So as Mr Hood has explained it all depends when you were born for the changes to official retirement .
OH yes
one other thing your can claim Tech-Yeti , the cold weather allowance and winter fuel allowance , A nice Christmas bonus for myself of £ 200.00 , nice .
I'm not Grumpy on that day .

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Whats OAP, if you can do this then your not an OAP:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXI4VyXrRVM

Edited by: Chocki

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Also a £10 Christmas bonus which was useful when set up years ago but now pays for a couple of bottles of wine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts