Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my Yeti (2015 1.2 TSi DSG) is over six years old, I think I ought to get an OBD reader, as I expect to start getting the occasional fault developing from now on. Can anyone recommend a brand and model (or warn me off one!) that will cover the whole gamut of expected problems? Price is not a problem; I'll gladly pay a bit more for a really good unit, though I don't want to waste money on bells and whistles I'll never use. I'm not prepared, however, to go the whole hog and get VCDS...I wouldn't know how to use it anyway, and am not prepared to learn at my advanced age! Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1.2tsi 2014 grey
52 Posts
i have a carista , its good lots of info and customization , we had a fault on our other car found the code & was able to get some idea from the garage how much to replace the faulty sensor , its £25 on amazon and £30 subscription per year , you do get a free trial period , they also keep adding more options and info

MM

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Carista is in the frame, but unfortunately it doesn't cover my other car, an old Peugeot 307 diesel (2007); it would be nice to have one that would cover both cars.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Carista £30 subscription per year ,
I have a Carista, the yearly subscription is £46:99 but I have found the month charge of £9:99 is all I need to get full use if I need to reset codes or use the customising, without further charge it is still a good OBD2 reader to scan the car and use VAG DPF to keep and eye on the DPF health and other things.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
This link may help identify what works with the Pug but you will need to check it also works on the yeti.

For bluetooth dongles there is then a question of which app you want to run as there is quite a wide choice of varying functionality.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the above.
Its beginning to look as though what works for the Yeti won't work on the Pug and vice versa. Part of the problem is that the Yeti is petrol and the Pug is diesel. This is going to be a bit of a minefield! Looks like I may have to buy two separate units.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
The link was for a particular manufacturer so probably not helpful for a full list but what it does say is all petrol engine cars from 2001 and all diesels since 2004 are compatible even if they are not in the list, so pretty sure that would apply to most other reputable makes. Flintstone had another make than Carista he uses with VAG DPF so hopefully he can share his experience with that one.

Are you looking for one that can be used on the move, so to speak, or could it be a handheld reader without any bluetooth connectivity?
Many will give you a fault code but then you need to look it up on the internet to get a full description.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't anticipate wanting to use it on the move, so handheld would be fine...preferably a self-contained unit that doesn't need a connection to a computer or phone, though I do possess both so if a wider range of functions came alongside computer connectivity I would consider it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a Carista, the yearly subscription is £46:99 but I have found the month charge of £9:99 is all I need to get full use if I need to reset codes or use the customising, without further charge it is still a good OBD2 reader to scan the car and use VAG DPF to keep and eye on the DPF health and other things.
My yearly subscription to carista is £33.99.

Reactions: macmusic

·
Registered
60 Posts
The link was for a particular manufacturer so probably not helpful for a full list but what it does say is all petrol engine cars from 2001 and all diesels since 2004 are compatible even if they are not in the list, so pretty sure that would apply to most other reputable makes. Flintstone had another make than Carista he uses with VAG DPF so hopefully he can share his experience with that one.

Are you looking for one that can be used on the move, so to speak, or could it be a handheld reader without any bluetooth connectivity?
Many will give you a fault code but then you need to look it up on the internet to get a full description.
Hi.
Will this read any codes on my 2015 diesel yeti ?
The one I have from my old 2002 Audi A4 will not connect .
Regards Trevor

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi.
Will this read any codes on my 2015 diesel yeti ?
The one I have from my old 2002 Audi A4 will not connect .
Regards Trevor
The OBDII standard came into force in 2001 in Europe, so it’s possible your A4 was manufactured before that.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
I don't anticipate wanting to use it on the move, so handheld would be fine...preferably a self-contained unit that doesn't need a connection to a computer or phone, though I do possess both so if a wider range of functions came alongside computer connectivity I would consider it.
You could always start off gently and try the one that Aldi and Lidl often sell for around £12.99. It plugs into the ecu port and comes with a list of codes. It would be a cheap and cheerful start.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
The reader from CP4L in the link posted by SnowGood* looks exactly like the one I have! (y) Just a different "brand" name transfer on the front. I suspect it will be 100% the same internally too? From distant memory I got it from either an Ebay seller or Aldi?? For around £12-15.

It successfully reads codes from: my last two BMWs (that have OBDII sockets), Yeti, Octavia, Fiat 500, Ford KA and a neighbour's Citroen. Which could bode well for a Pug?
I've read engine and associated sensor fault codes with it on all those cars. Braking system sensors and ABS faults on the BMW. Bodywork system locks and lighting codes on the FIAT, etc. Not saying it would not read lighting computer codes on the Yeti, just that I've never had those.

AND almost as crucially, allows all codes to be erased. So you can check if a particular fix has cured the problem, or not.

It does NOT provide an interpretation for any code though. As SnowGood* said, Google is necessary for that. Not a problem to do that though. And in the FIAT's case, putting the complete list of lighting and locking system faults into Google, led directly to a 500/Panda Owner's Forum thread that not only identified the exact root cause from the random collection of disparate symptom codes, but also how to fix it and where to get the part from. (Broken wires in the rear hatch to body frame loom section (sound familiar?), and the Febi repair kit direct from a seller in Germany (pre-Brexit!)).

As a "starter for 10" therefore, I would say it scores 20! :) Not least as it doesn't break the bank! (OMG - I'm sounding like a Yorkshireman?)

* Should we be referring to "SnowFlake" now though??? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bryetian
1 - 15 of 15 Posts