Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So who's been wasting money on expensive motor oils.??

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Good to know someone is watching our backs for us. Even though I've never previously heard of "Hyperdrive Lubricants Ltd", let alone knowingly used any of their products. Although they claim to have been owned in the past by Castrol, BP and Duckhams, that does not mean any of those companies own branded products were ever formulated by Hyperdrive. For example Fuchs own Derbyshire based Silkolene Lubricants, but Silkolene have no influence on what goes into Fuchs branded products.

Hence while the link is interesting, I don't understand what is meant by the comment "who's been wasting money on expensive motor oils?"

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Who would be buying from an unknown (to me) brand expecting to get a premium product.
I have been using Mobil 1 products in engines for perhaps 30 years, Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 in car and Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W-50 in motorcycle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
, I don't understand what is meant by the comment "who's been wasting money on expensive motor oils?"
That was my comment, as many peeps often say "I don't buy cheap stuff" either from ebay or halfoots.
It just makes me laugh. In reality, you just don't know what you are buying.
I can remember doing a tour in the Comma oil production place (Gravesend I think) who also blended oils for Esso/VW/etc...
Funny that as I walked round, they had Oil stocks for all branded franchises. Even in the correct colouerd cans, saying Genuine VW/Esso oils.....o_O

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
If you ever go to Penang, make sure you go to the evening street market at Batu Ferringhi, they sell every brand of T shirt you can think of. They are sold as "genuine copies" and the ones we bought according to SWMBO, were better quality material than the genuine item and lasted for years. Not all fakes are inferior. :)

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
If you ever go to Penang, make sure you go to the evening street market at Batu Ferringhi, they sell every brand of T shirt you can think of. They are sold as "genuine copies" and the ones we bought according to SWMBO, were better quality material than the genuine item and lasted for years. Not all fakes are inferior. :)
What ever happened to "Wicked Willies" T Shirt shop in Newquay?
Is it still there?
Everyone that went to Cornwall years ago used to come back with a Wicked Willies.

There was a Fat Willies after that as well.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
That was my comment, as many peeps often say "I don't buy cheap stuff" either from ebay or halfoots.
It just makes me laugh. In reality, you just don't know what you are buying.
I can remember doing a tour in the Comma oil production place (Gravesend I think) who also blended oils for Esso/VW/etc... Funny that as I walked round, they had Oil stocks for all branded franchises. Even in the correct coloured cans, saying Genuine VW/Esso oils.....o_O
That's true to some extent. Although it doesn't mean the formulation they put into cans labeled up as and destined for "Halfords" own label, or even as Comma labelled, is the same formulation and additive packs as the stuff they put into packs that end up with Esso labels or any others.

The usual give away is the shape and design of the retail packs themselves. As those are more expensive to change, because of the handling lines that are set up to take a particular pack shape. Whereas colour of plastic, and labels that get slapped on the outside are easy to change. If the pack shape is the same, it's a good guess they've been filled on the same fill line. Albeit if from different batch blends in the silo.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
I've still got two Thai silk shirts that were haggled for and bought from a street market in Bankok, 30-odd years ago. Excellent quality and durability. What's even more amazing - is both still fit!! :D:cool:(y). Even if they are rather closer fitting around the middle than they used be? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Who the **** are Hyperdrive?? Sounds like a sub division Michael Mouse Motor Co!
They are obviously what was known in SHELL as 'Bung'ole blenders' Like Castrol believe it or not!!
They buy base oils from REAL oil Companies like SHELL, BP, ESSO etc and then buy an additive package from companies like Lubrizol. The package contents are ordered by the 'bung'ole blender and it is up to them what cocktail they make up.
Peanuts and monkeys spring to mind.Stick to REAL oil company products and you can't go far wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
For the Yeti I would always use the likes of Shell, Esso, etc, but for the Midget, that typically leaks oil like most 50 year old British cars, I use whatever Opie or ECP have on offer. Currently it's on Comma.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
My Yeti came with a bottle of Castrol Edge in the boot (still there unopened) and I've used that ever since but stock up when there is an offer. We had a vehicle at work that had an oil blended specially for it by Shell, I bet that was expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Yetigreen's comment about Comma oils reminded me of when I visited a fuel distribution depot, used by several major companies. Each tanker driver programmed the fillers so that their own secret ingredients were added in the correct proportions to the base fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
For the Yeti I would always use the likes of Shell, Esso, etc, but for the Midget, that typically leaks oil like most 50 year old British cars, I use whatever Opie or ECP have on offer. Currently it's on Comma.
When my Morris 1000 was on its last legs it was burning oil and i used to stick anything i could get hold of free from work from hydraulic oil to gear oil that went in the large water pumps at work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Back in the 70's/80's when we were running 3 air-cooled vehicles (2 Beetles and a bike) there was much discussion about monogrades vs multi grades, particularly amongst the Beetle fraternity. At that time Duckhams 20/50 was a popular tipple for older engines.
In recent years our cars have been on Castrol - most recently Castrol Edge.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
At that time Duckhams 20/50 was a popular tipple for older engines.
A peculiar and unique shade of semi-translucent dark green, with an equally distinctive smell. Worked very well indeed in my Mini Cooper with gearbox in sump.
Whilst the dog's whatsits at the time, trying to run Q 20-50 in a modern turbo diesel can wreck the engine in under 100 miles.
My brother-in-law sold his just run-in 100,000 mile Octavia to a mate. Who, at the next oil change, bunged in a gallon can full of Duckhams, he'd had at the back of his garage for 25 years. On grounds it was "good oil". Result: blown turbo and knackered main bearings 75 miles later. Then when they'd got that lot sorted and running again, discovered the Cat had been poisoned with the high oil phosphorous content. DPF not too healthy either. A very expensive way to "save" £35 for 4.5 litres of Castrol Edge FST 5w-30 LL, to VW507 spec.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Yetigreen's comment about Comma oils reminded me of when I visited a fuel distribution depot, used by several major companies. Each tanker driver programmed the fillers so that their own secret ingredients were added in the correct proportions to the base fuel.
Yup! Quite right. When Shell-Mex & BP terminal at Hamble closed all the tankers of all companies went over the river to the Esso refinery at Fawley and in those days the drivers had containers of their company's specific additives and they actually climbed on top of the tanker and dumped a specific amount into each compartment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What ever happened to "Wicked Willies" T Shirt shop in Newquay?
Is it still there?
Everyone that went to Cornwall years ago used to come back with a Wicked Willies.

There was a Fat Willies after that as well.
Unfortunately they couldn't compete with the tat shops selling cheap rubbish and closed down some years ago. I'm still wearing tees from there more than ten years on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts