Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a sevice a month ago but today the oil change due reminder came up on screen saying 660miles till change!! Can this readout be reset by a mear mortal or do I have to go back to the garage ? Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
It can be reset, do a search on here for the steps.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
To save searching:

Yeti Service indicator resets

Full “Inspection” interval resets

A) Pre-Facelift / “Classic” Yeti.

Start with ignition switch in OFF position

Press and HOLD the trip zero “0.0” button (to lower right of speedo binnacle)

While keeping the 0.0 button pressed, switch ON ignition to systems live / systems check position 2 (dash lights ON), but DO NOT start engine.

Release 0.0 button

Press and HOLD the “MIN” button (icon looks like a file folder) to lower left of tacho binnacle.

Switch ignition OFF.

Release MIN button.

Job Done. Wait a few seconds then try switching on to check the service countdown indication has been re-set. If not, repeat 1 through 7 till it “takes”.

B) Facelift Yeti

Start with ignition switch in OFF position

Turn ON Hazard warning lights (for Oil-only service skip this step)

Press and HOLD the trip zero “0.0” button (to lower right of speedo binnacle)

While keeping the 0.0 button pressed, switch ON ignition to systems live / systems check position 2 (dash lights ON), but DO NOT start engine.

Wait for the message “Reset?” to appear in Maxidot display area.

Release the 0.0 button.

Respond “yes” to reset? question in Maxidot.

Switch OFF

Job done. I can't guarantee this works as I don't have a FL Yeti. I stole it from the Dark Side, then modified the wording to try to be more clear.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my facelift model the steps above work but only hold for about 600miles before the message reappears. Not much effort to keep doing it though until it goes for an actual service.
(Mine had oil change just before purchase but dealer forgot to reset the computer fully. Its too far to go back just for them to do that)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In addition to the above, if you looked in the Yetipedia (in Technical) it is also in there.
Cheers guys I'll give it a go in the morning

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what can I say, followed steps as per F/L & it worked, hooray, well done chaps, thankyouveryglad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeti DSG oil change anyone know why some do need an oil change and some dont at 40k according to Skoda ours is a lifetime oil???

·
Administrator
4,951 Posts
Welcome Stranger (that sounds odd) :)

if you are referring to DSG oil change then it is only required in the "wet" 6 speed box used on the yeti diesel engine models. The petrol versions are fitted with a different 7 speed "dry" box which has a lifetime oil fill. Which model do you have?

·
Registered
487 Posts
The six speed DSG fitted to the diesel Yeti's has clutches that run in oil. This becomes contaminated over time, and needs periodic replacement. The seven speed DSG on the other hand has clutches that run dry, so there is no oil to change. The oil that lubricates the 7-speed gearbox itself is filled for life. I am not sure whether the 6 speed transmission uses the same oil for clutches and gearbox, or if the two parts are in separate compartments.... either way it is necessary to replace the clutch-contaminated oil periodically. If yours is a 7-speed (petrol) Yeti, you do not need to change the transmission oil. If you've got a 6 speed (diesel) Yeti, you do.
A further complication, out of interest, is that there is a third part of the DSG transmission, the mechatronic unit, that is also filled with oil, in its own compartment, and different oil from the gearbox/clutches. This should also last the life of the car, though earlier models were factory filled with a synthetic oil that proved unsuitable, and had to be changed for mineral oil under a recall notice. Once filled with mineral oil there should be no further need for oil changes to the mechatronic unit.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
On the 6 speed, wet clutch, gearbox the clutches, gears, differential and mechatronic unit all share the same oil. This is the one that needs regular oil changes at 40k mile intervals.

As above the 7 speed dry clutch gearbox has separate (different) oils for the gears/differential and the mechatronic unit. The latter unit contains the high pressure pump that operates the gearbox and supplies the clutch slave cylinders via solenoid valves. Both gears/differential and mechatronic are 'filled for life', assuming the mechatronic has the right oil.
That said, there are dealers and independents who still maintain that the mechatronic needs regular oil changes, despite what the manufacturers say.

On 4WD models the transmission unit has an Angle or Bevel Drive unit that turns the drive through 90 degrees and to which the front end of the prop shaft is bolted. This unit has its own oil and is 'filled for life' although it is usually fitted with drain and fill plugs.

The above applies to the Yeti as, just for interest, there are 7 speed DSG boxes that have wet clutches such as the DQ500 unit in my TTRS.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Yes my new Karoq is a wet clutch dsg with 7 gears.
Filled for life is a strange term as the life of one car may be under 100k used lightly for many years and in another could be 500k if used as a taxi. A lot of service intervals are set up to suit the first user of a car. Would the second owner prefer that the car had been on the extended service interval set by the factory or the every 10k or one year that some dealers change it to.
If I was looking to go to a very high mileage or bought a high mileage used car I would consider changing some of these oils if possible at some point. Perhaps 100k?
Some of my earlier cars had an oil change interval for conventional gearbox and rear diff of 80k?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi peeps thanks for the answers its a 1.2 petrol with the 7 speed box so that explains is cheers i was only asking as it missed a gear for a second the other day and just revved up been ok since i eased off the throttle and it drove ok since

1 - 13 of 13 Posts