Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone carried out an oil change on a 1.8tsi? If so, where abouts is the oil drain sump plug (back, front, side of bottom of sump) and what tool is needed to remove the drain plug? I have decided to ask before removing the heavy duty black plastic sump guard to find I don't have the right tools.

Cheers,
Banjobach

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hiya Banjobach,I'm sure this has been covered before but not by me.As one of the wierdo's who like to change my oil more often than suggested by Skoda I took the plunge and invested in a sump sucker.Got a Pela from a marine supplier and it doe's do a bloody good job.To put my mind at rest we pulled the plug after sucking out the sump the first time I used it and what came out would barely cover the bottom of a 200gram coffee jar.It really was that good.I'm gonna let the oil go to 12,000 klms in future as it was still very clean and that'll only be once a year now the novelty has worn off a bit.It is so much easier than crawling about underneath with the temp at 40 deg as it is at present.Have a go,you wont regret it.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup,one o them.It is very efficient at lifting the old oil.It has been suggested by some that it will not lift sludge from the sump,cant see that with modern oil's as they are so good at suspending the particles that might be present.Apart from that with regular changes there aint gonna be sludge forming anyway.Guess it's a choice thing at the end of the day but it work's for me.As a service mechanic for many years it would have been unthinkable to suck it out back then,mind you it was so blooming thick it would have struggled to come up the tube,but thing's have moved on and I think it's about time I joined the move.So hard to change as you get older so I'm gonna try not to age.TRY, and that's the difficult bit.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Thanks to both Hood and Suzuki for your posts. I've never seen one of these suckers before, never mine use one. So I have investigated the possible purchase of one on ebay.au. Well they do exist in Oz and are available so I might get one, but would like a few genuine reviews by people who have used them and not just manufacture's or supplier's reviews.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hiya again,I felt the same so done loads of investigating before taking the plunge.Read many review's and loads of forum's to get as much info as possible.A few folk dont reckon em but they tend to be the ones still living in the time of 20-50 multigrade being the latest high tech oil ( I include myself in that group).You'll have to make you're own mind up but reading reports from some of the lads in the states who use em on some of their big (read monster) motor's,and swear by em over the long term convinced me.Also a lot of quality main dealer's use em sothey cant be a bad thing.Do as I done and drop the sump drain first time just to reasure yourself.Just a few drip's came out so they really do clear the sump out.I know I sound like a salesman for said product and maybe if they read this they might send me enough 507 spec for the next ten years,we live in hope.lol

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If you run the engine first to warm the oil and get any "extra's" in suspension for an interim change, and carry out a conventional oil and filter change at the specified mileage I can't see it doing any harm. Hopefully it's safe to assume the gadget won't go squidgy with warm oil. I do like playing with gadgets and think I may end up with one. Especially if Halfords and Eurocarparts start selling 4 litres of Castrol Edge for £27 again.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I bought one on eBay that uses an electrical pump. It connects to the battery via alligator clamps. Unfortunately the 1.2 TSI is NOT designed for suction extraction and can ONLY be drained via the sump plug
. I am still scratching my head and wondering why they designed the vehicle like this
. So I will use it for the missus' Hyundai.
As has been said already, just remember to warm the oil up first so it will flow easier and suspend any small metal particles, carbon or sludge that has settled out. They sure save getting your hands coated in hot engine oil. It can also be used on gearboxes etc.
Practically all the dealers use suction extraction for draining the engine oil and have done so for many years.
Mine is very similar to this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Extractor-Sump-Pump-For-Boats-Car-and-Jet-Ski-Engines-/150915904929?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232349f5a1

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry,I did'nt mention warming the engine to normal temp.Yes,that's gotta be done of course.They dont go squidgy Hood,well,not enough to affect use anyway.I did try my mates electric one on another motor some time back and although it done the job ok I did find it a bit on the slow side.With the pump I bought just a few pumps and away it goes,cor,just like rocket science,easy.Also good for gearboxes,axles and just about any other draining job.Only just found out that on them thar smart cars you dont even get a drain plug,just suck it out.What's all that about ??? 27 squiddies for castrol edge sound's like a good deal.Down here they want 57 euros for five ltrs,mind you they also want 15 for an oil filter so no suprise I wait until one o me mates is driving down or we pop over for a visit.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks one and all,
I'm going to take the plunge and buy one of these oil extractors. I have seen some on ebay and might order the one shown in the link presented below. I have also viewed a few articles and youtube videos, which present the use of these oil extractor pumps, so I've got a good idea of what and how to use an oil extractor. But the first use will provided an interesting learnig experience. I'm assuming with the type of material these extractors are made from that most of the oil when left to drain from the pump will drain out leaving little to clean afterwards. Maybe a little keorsene will aid in the final cleaning of the pump.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-FLUID-EXTRACTOR-6-5L-VACUUM-PUMP-BOAT-CAR-/250934716976?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item3a6cdfea30

Cheers,
Banjobach

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup,once emptied into waste can I just leave it upside down overnight to fully drain into an old cake tin(speak to the wife first)and when I get five mins next day put it away more or less spotless.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Banjobach said:
Thanks one and all,
I'm going to take the plunge and buy one of these oil extractors. I have seen some on ebay and might order the one shown in the link presented below.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-FLUID-EXTRACTOR-6-5L-VACUUM-PUMP-BOAT-CAR-/250934716976?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item3a6cdfea30

Cheers,
Banjobach
Banjobach
That looks expensive have a look on Amazon, they might be a better price the UK site beats that price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pela-Oil-Extractor-PL650-650/dp/B002EPSF7E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1376237130&sr=8-5&keywords=pela+oil+extractor

·
Registered
828 Posts
Speaking of £27 for Castrol Edge, don't be frightened to look in Asda, where I bought some a while back!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hoody, that's $118 AUS plus a delivery fee at current exchange rates, compared to eBays $107 including delivery.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Banjobach said:
Thanks one and all,
I'm going to take the plunge and buy one of these oil extractors. I have seen some on ebay and might order the one shown in the link presented below. I have also viewed a few articles and youtube videos, which present the use of these oil extractor pumps, so I've got a good idea of what and how to use an oil extractor. But the first use will provided an interesting learnig experience. I'm assuming with the type of material these extractors are made from that most of the oil when left to drain from the pump will drain out leaving little to clean afterwards. Maybe a little keorsene will aid in the final cleaning of the pump.

Cheers,
Banjobach
I'd found that one too. It's a clone of the Pela 750 and Mityvac MV7400, but better value.
I think I might spend a little more and get one of these,
http://www.olct.co/fluid-evacuators/Mityvac-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus
Before I commit, can anyone confirm that these will definitely drain all the oil out of a diesel? (and not have the problem plbxr struck with the 1.2 petrol)

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
It's quite surprising how many different units there are, I wonder if in this age of living in flats (apartments if you are posh) people will have problems finding somewhere to store them.

(plxbr It looks like I need to use a different on line currency converter).

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Copperhead, on the video they say the extractor pipe on that model is 5.7mm OD so if you buy a metre of cheap 6 mm OD tube from the hardware, you can insert it down the dipstick tube and see if it fits.
The 1.2 TSI has a restrictor near the top so the dipstick tube is too narrow to fit a pipe [email protected]#$%!.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ah, I thought the pipe inserted through the dipstick tube wasn't giving you access to the deepest part of the sump, didn't realise you couldn't get it down at all. Good idea with the tube.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts