Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after seeing that some members have been using the oil pump that lidel sell to drain the sump oil i bought one.
This is going to be easy i thought.
The small tube supplied does not fit down the dip stick hole!
So i had to go back to crawling underneath the car.
Has any one else had this problem and found a fix, smaller tubing etc

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
I take it you are putting the right tube down dipstick?
I have no problem with mine.

·
Administrator
4,736 Posts
Isn't the dipstick tube on the 1.2TSI too small for the (correct) suction tube of the pump anyway? I'm sure I have read that somewhere but it's fine on the diesel engines.

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
I wonder if the 1.2 has a narrower dip stick tube. I use a Pela vacuum pump, the price has risen since I bought mine.

·
Administrator
4,736 Posts
Couldn't find where I thought it may have been mentioned on the forum but Urrell you were involved in a discussion on this topic on the dark Side it seems where another member confirmed it was smaller diameter.

Reactions: Urrell

·
Registered
982 Posts
OK, so I am being stupid. When my garage has need of draining the sump oil, they put a large tray under the sump and remove the drain plug. They don't have to "pump it out" so why would the OP need to?😛

·
Registered
274 Posts
Draining the oil isn’t as easy as it used to be. You need to take the sump guard off before you get to the drain plug. I usually do mine that way which is easy because I’m lucky enough to have a pit. If you haven’t, it is a lot easier to suck the oil out through the dip stick tube.

OK, so I am being stupid. When my garage has need of draining the sump oil, they put a large tray under the sump and remove the drain plug. They don't have to "pump it out" so why would the OP need to?😛

Reactions: Ruari

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
It saves squeezing under the car to remove the under tray, putting the oil catcher underneath and release the sump nut, or raising the car to get underneath more easily. Then replace the sump nut, the under engine under tray and lower the car (if raised). After which the large tray of oil needs emptying into a can or similar (without sloping or spilling), or if a drainer can is used clean up any sploshes caused by the wind.
With an electric or Pela vacuum pump, remove dipstick, insert tube and remove oil. Then remove tube, replace dipstick and fill with oil. If using a Pela, pour oil into suitable container. This removes as much oil as removing the drain nut and is easily done between services.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It saves squeezing under the car to remove the under tray, putting the oil catcher underneath and release the sump nut, or raising the car to get underneath more easily. Then replace the sump nut, the under engine under tray and lower the car (if raised). After which the large tray of oil needs emptying into a can or similar (without sloping or spilling), or if a drainer can is used clean up any sploshes caused by the wind.
With an electric or Pela vacuum pump, remove dipstick, insert tube and remove oil. Then remove tube, replace dipstick and fill with oil. If using a Pela, pour oil into suitable container. This removes as much oil as removing the drain nut and is easily done between services.
A much better explanation! 😀

·
Registered
274 Posts
While on the subject, I have always been a bit sceptical about whether pumping out removes all the oil. I bought a Pela 6000 a few years back to use on my boat engine. The last time I changed the oil on the Yeti, I decided to experiment. First, I pumped out the oil using the Pela. Then, I removed the sump plug and drained the remainder.

The result was that only one or two drips came from the sump plug. I think I will probably go for the Pela in future - much easier, cleaner and saves renewing the sump plug.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Your garage first raises the car on a lift of some sort so that the mechanic can work standing up. Then they use something like this Combined 80litre suction / gravity drainer, Tecalemit Garage Equipment Company Limited to drain the oil.

I have the Pela vacuum unit too and it's ideal for the oil change in between the ones the garage do. I did try it on a cold engine: just the once as that gave me time to write a small book. :)

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
I used to use a drainer can but on a windy day drips get blown all over the place, so I ended up having to clean the outside of the drainer can and wipe off the empty 80 ltr compost bag with a piece of hardboard in it used as a bib under the drainer can.
With the Pela its just remove dip stick and insert pipe, operate pump to produce vacuum, then whilst it is sucking out the oil put kettle on and make tea, then back to car give the pump a few more pumps to boost vacuum and drink tea whilst oil drains into Pela. No getting tools out, raising car, dirty cans to clean or dirty hands, just the outside of the pipe that goes into the dipstick to wipe.
This also means even non mechanically inclined owner can carry out an interim oil change with ease, prolonging the life of their engine.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Draining the oil isn’t as easy as it used to be. You need to take the sump guard off before you get to the drain plug. I usually do mine that way which is easy because I’m lucky enough to have a pit. If you haven’t, it is a lot easier to suck the oil out through the dip stick tube.
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. You live and learn, and despite my advanced years, I now know more about changing oil in a Yeti than I did before. But for me, I'll leave the job to my "tame" servicing garage. 🤗

·
Administrator
4,736 Posts
It seems with the 1.2 TSi there is not a lot of choice Ruari to draining from the sump, unless someone has come across an oil drain pump with a suction hose small enough to fit down the 1.2 dipstick.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When a friend of mine went into hospital he had carefully explained to his wife about checking the oil level in the car, use the dipstick. She later complained that putting a pint of oil back down the dipstick tube seemed very slow.

This is about 50 years ago.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It seems with the 1.2 TSi there is not a lot of choice Ruari to draining from the sump, unless someone has come across an oil drain pump with a suction hose small enough to fit down the 1.2 dipstick.
On the Pela unit the hose that goes in the dipstick tube is curtain wire - the stuff used for hanging net curtains. I've had a quick search this morning but I could not find any similar curtain wire with a smaller diameter. However, nylon (polyamide) tubing commonly used in air systems, would have roughly the right combination of flexibility and stiffness and is available in small diameters. Here: METRIC FLEXIBLE NYLON TUBING the smallest OD is 4mm but I expect smaller diameters are available.

Obviously the small diameter would slow the flow rate but, for The Hood at least, that means more time for tea.

What is the ID of the dipstick tube on the 1.2 engine? Or the width of the dipstick blade?

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
The other stuff to look at is the hard blue plastic tubing used for plumbing water filters. That comes in various sizes.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
My blue and red water filter hard piping is 6.5mm, Lidl suction tube 5.9mm and end of dipstick is 6.3mm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My blue and red water filter hard piping is 6.5mm, Lidl suction tube 5.9mm and end of dipstick is 6.3mm.
Pela "curtain wire" suction tube = 5.6mm
End of dipstick = 6.4mm

From these measurements, the suction tubes of both Lidl and Pela oil extractors should fit down the dipstick tubes of both 1.2 petrol and 2.0 diesel engines.

Return to Post #2 -
I take it you are putting the right tube down dipstick?
I have no problem with mine.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Good lord, Urrell, that's interesting to know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts