Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need to change the oil and filter on my 2.0 TDI cant leave it for another 5 months until the service is due, it some how dosent seem right as I have always done it on my other cars every 6k whats the best oil for the TDI

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hello Rensyeti. I've always used Castrol and am happy with that and I have heard good things said about FUCHS brand. So long as the oil meets the VW 507 00 spec....so you don't clog up the DPF.
Further info can be found in the back of your handbook in the Technical Data chapter under "Engine oil specifications".

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
When I picked up mine there was a bottle of Castrol Edge Proffesional in the boot. Proffesional is trade only but Castrol Edge 5W-30 was 20% off in Halfords recently. Opieoils.co.uk have it for £39.98 at the moment.

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Popped into my dealer today as my Yeti has done 9200 miles and the service indicator says "9100 miles and 524 day to service".
Surely some mistake I thought? Modern oil is good but 18000 miles!?
Service manager said "yup, the car will tell you when it needs a service, some we have only come up after 25000miles"
"Unbelievable" said I.
"Believe it" said he.
So there we are, 18000 miles between services.
Gob smacked of Canterbury!Edited by: markrjohnson

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
My Yeti has done 67k miles and only been serviced 3 times, 18k, 37k and 55k.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oil Change?????????Not me kids
I will not let my new t d i Skoda go 15000 KM ON CASTROL EDGE
My first was at 2000 then 7000 and i will do the last at 12000 . It is so easy to do a filter and oil change .So what it cost about 70 bucks for the loqui moly and 15 bucks for the paper filter plus 30 mins. The first 20.000 is Critical for a diesel..

)""¢""¢( PUG

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have changed my oil and filter a couple of times now, the second time just last week. First time I couldn't belive how fiddley it was to get at the oil filter cartridge burried away at the front of the engine. Second time was easier but still more fiddley than most other cars I have owned. Loosening and displacing the pipe that runs above the plastic filter housing helps a lot. You will need a 32mm socket to remove the housing top cover. Pack plenty of rag or tissue around the housing. The old filter comes out with the top cover and requires a firm pull to remove it from the cover. Look for the "Top" wording on the new one to position it correctly. Three new o-rings come with the new filter. You will see where they go by looking at the old assembly. Mount the new filter onto the top cover prior to inserting into the housing then carefully insert making sure the black plastic thingy with the smaller seal rings is central in the housing. Hand tighten then torque to 25Nm. You will need a new sump drain plug as this comes with a new crush washer already in place. Filter and drain plug currently £11.06 from Skoda Dealer. The Castrol Edge I has seen in the Asda Sale was not to the VW 507.00 spec so be carefull there.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
I thought the reply was to this one:

PUG said:
Oil Change?????????Not me kids
I will not let my new t d i Skoda go 15000 KM ON CASTROL EDGE

My first was at 2000 then 7000 and i will do the last at 12000 . It is
so easy to do a filter and oil change .So what it cost about 70 bucks
for the loqui moly and 15 bucks for the paper filter plus 30 mins. The
first 20.000 is Critical for a diesel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Hood said:
I hope you will use a Skoda filter and no a "cheapo", here is a main dealer who will post you one free of charge for £9.49
If you post a couple of pictures you might encourage more to do the same.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-COMMON-RAIL-CR-OIL-FILTER-03L115562-/380644951175?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:Yeti&hash=item58a0350487
Hi Hood
its genuine all the way as I have a 3 year extended warranty and they don't take kindly to pattern parts, I have always had VW`s and got in touch with the parts dept there and just ordered Oil 5lts of the long life stuff Quantum 3 fully synthetic 5-30 filter and replacement sump bolt/washer all for £35

1 - 20 of 33 Posts