Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently In Northern France and my 2015 1.2 petrol Yeti has developed an oil leak.

The yellow low oil warning light came on just as I arrived here so I topped it up and for a few days seemed ok but now its lost about 2/3 litre oil in the last week on local low speed journeys.
It's not easy to see where the leak is coming from as the drip tray blocks the view, but it seems to be on the lower R side of the engine, roughly located under the battery. Some oil is visible leaking through the hole in the drip tray on that side too.

So I could do with your advice - what is what's best thing to do, try to get it repaired locally (language an issue plus also August in France means many garages are closed ) or return to the UK next week as planned and get it fixed there?
It's 150 miles to Calais via the autoroute, will I be ok to drive this carrying extra oil and topping up as necessary and do I need to drive slowly to reduce oil pressure ?
Or is there a risk of the leak getting worse if I do this and damaging the engine ?

Your advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Ed

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
That’s a **** of an oil leak! Given the sump capacity of a 1.2 TSi engine is only 4 litres to begin with.

I’d be getting the front of the car raised up on ramps or supported on axle stands to get underneath and try to determine where the leak is coming from, before it gets any worse. The plastic undertray can be removed fairly easily. 4/5 torx T20 screws down each side, then 3 across the back. On our diesel Yeti those 3 are T25. On a Polo with the 1.2 TSi engine they are also T20. So yours could either? Then it slides backwards, off clips that engage with the valence under the radiator/front bumper.

When did it last have an oil change? Just before setting off for the holiday? Were both the sump plug and oil filter tightened correctly?

Is it definitely leaking the oil? Or burning it, Ferrari F1 style, via a failed oil seal on the turbo? Are you followed by a blue smokescreen?

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Has anything been done to it recently? If it was serviced pre holiday it could be they did not screw the oil filter up tight enough, or they may even have not tightened the sump nut fully. I assume the engine filler cap was done up as you would have removed it to top up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the Cam Belt was changed and it had an MOT recently.
I raised this with the garage when I discovered the leak ( the work seeming suspiciously close in terms of time, 3 days, to the leak) but they denied any responsibility and pointed out that they did not touch any seals when they replaced the Cam Belt and that the MOT was simply an inspection.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
In time, no rush, get your current problem solved first, but who was the garage used for the Cam Belt and MOT?

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I can confirm that neither a cam belt change, nor an MoT should have touched or even gone near either the oil filter, drain plug or filler cap.

The cam belt is also at the opposite end of the engine from where you you say the oil appears to be coming from, below the battery. So less probably, it would seem, a leak from a cam or the crankshaft nose oil seal? (Cam sprockets and the drive belt are on the right hand end of the engine. Viewed conventionally from the car’s perspective, or as you sit in the driver’s seat. Opposite the gear box end. As distinct from your own perspective when standing in front of the car, looking into the engine bay, which as the mirror perspective.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Flinstone for confirming what the garage told me.
Yes the leak appears to be on the R side of the engine if you are facing the car, the opposite side to the Cam belt.
The Cam Belt was changed at Volks Autos in Sutton, not Marshalls Croydon.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I am presuming that you haven't taken out breakdown/recovery insurance for your trip?

·
Administrator
4,874 Posts
From your earlier post just over a week ago you noted for the first time it needed topping up as the low warning lamp had come on. As you had had the car for a while before this first occurrence but you only topped it up then for the first tim and it's since leaked as much as you say in a short while it would seem to have got worse. I'd be tempted to get someone to investigate more where it's coming from before a long journey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help everyone.

Update: Managed to find a garage (recommend by AA European Breakdown cover) who inspected the car today and found no evidence of an oil leak.
They did find signs of small leak of gear box oil, which was what I was seeing signs of on the underside of the engine tray, below the radiator, but nothing to account for the current oil loss.
So they suggest that it could be that the engine has suddenly started to burn oil due to a leaking cylinder head gasket.
But the exhaust is clean and shows no signs of blue smoke.
Will have to get fuller checks carried out when its back in the UK.

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
If the engine is burning oil it will not do the DPF any good, as it is the gradual build up of oil ash that is not burnt during a regeneration that fills it.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Not many DPFs fitted to a 1.2 TSi Derek? :ROFLMAO: :D
(You’ve taken on my role in this thread? Supplying helpful “maybe” responses that don’t actually apply to the OP? Does that mean we’ll have to swap cars and Avatars too? :D;):rolleyes:)

To a lesser extent, the cat would be having a hard time too, but a lot less likely to do it permanent harm than it would a DPF.

If it is burning oil and not leaking after all, then it is just like a 2019 Ferrari F1 car! Those didn’t produce much blue smoke either. So perhaps modern oils burn cleaner than they used to do. That would be in keeping with the general idea of low SAPS formulations.

Either way sounds like carry a 4-litre pack at the ready, with a small funnel. Keep fingers crossed and above all keep checking the level regularly and keep an eye on that oil light. Has it used much in the last couple of days?

If we are going down the “burning it” route, very rare indeed that is for a Yeti, then without wanting to worry you unduly as what I’m about to say is a VERY remote possibility, then one scenario could be a failed oil seal in the turbo main shaft bearing. Leaking oil into either the inlet or exhaust sides? Does the turbo make any unusual whistling noises at all? Normally they are pretty silent. If true, again that is slightly less problematical than on a diesel. As a Diesel engine getting quantities of hot sump oil into the inlet side will very happily run on that alone. In the ultimate extreme “running away” at very high revs till it has burned all the oil in the sump. Without the owner being able to stop it. There is a way that can be employed in extremis, but as that scenario is far less likely in a petrol engine in any case, I won’t scare you any more by explaining it here. The throttle butterfly should stop it getting enough air to become a runaway in any case. That’s one of the reasons modern diesels have an inlet throttle valve too. When traditional diesels just had an open, unrestricted inlet.
(See - I’ve gone off to join Derek/The Hood again now - talking about diesel stuff that doesn’t apply. :rolleyes: I’ll get my coat :censored: . See you in Bob’s corner D? )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to keep an eagle eye on it and buy that 4 litre oil pack and funnel

·
Administrator
14,201 Posts
Not many DPFs fitted to a 1.2 TSi Derek? :ROFLMAO: :D

(You’ve taken on my role in this thread? Supplying helpful “maybe” responses that don’t actually apply to the OP? Does that mean we’ll have to swap cars and Avatars too? :D;):rolleyes:)
I think it means I need to stop trying to multitask fliting between 4x4R and the forum. :oops:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts