Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hurrah Sorted got all on phone with aforemetioned Skoda my Skoda app not the easiest of apps to setup I thought I posted this early last night Obviously not . Anyroad the plot thickens when I went into the Vin enter section I had about 12 Vins already there not Yti but most of the other models and their history. This morning 0805 had reply re the first problem and in formed them of the Multi Vins told just click on the unwanted Vin/s Green X which on doing started it downloading that ones digital history . Reported this and immediate reply for screen shots sent them another reply uninstall . I have to give them 10/10 for response willl leave that for a bit my old brain hurts.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That might be the only time you give Skoda UK 10/10 :confused:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah but so far they have not come up with the solution to get rid of the unwanted Vins . None has worked so far .I have 12 Vins and can access their history. Not had a response for nearly 3 hrs now maybe its been forwarded to Blighty :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It'll be lost by now in the depths of Skoda UK HQ, where ever that is?!

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is purely an IT question I wouldn't think they'd be happy with letting a load of Vin no's float around . Begs the question what else might be available. I have cleared the cache and uninstalled / re installed then cleared the Data uninstalled /reinstalled 4 times still they all come back each time. Still waiting

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Wonder if it counts as a breach of the Data Protection Act as it reveals other peoples data? A suggestion that you will contact the ICO may get a quicker reaction. It sounds as though some developer has updated the App data with Google Store but left data in a file which should have been cleared.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
The Data Protection Act, and GDPR that replaced it, are all about personal data - i.e information about People. Not their possessions.

In my world for example, cows do not have rights under GDPR, but their owners do. Thus my laptop holds lots of individual and aggregate data about cows - but nothing about their owners or where those owners live. In case I left it on a train for example (reference to some MoD employees in the past who left laptops containing sensitive military information on a train), then anyone who discovered my laptop and managed to hack into the data would only find the data about cows. Not the owners. (Although the mockery of that restriction is that anyone with experience in cattle breeding would be able to tell straight away who the well known breeders were from the cow names. Breeder is not necessarily the same as the owner though, as cows get sold.)

Back to the point, so long as Skoda were not displaying any details that might be specific to the owners of cambria’s extra vehicles, then no rules are being broken. Details of the vehicles themselves and their service records are not “protected” in that sense. So long as he can’t detect who the owners are.

By the same token, you can look up the MoT history in considerable detail, for any car with a UK registration, on the DVLA section of the gov.uk web site. All you need is the registration. But you can not see who the registered keeper is. Nor their address. Only Police and those with similar powers, such as traffic offence offices, etc. can do that.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wrong Flint all you can get with the registration No is pass or fail all else needs the Doc No from the V5c

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Wrong Flint all you can get with the registration No is pass or fail all else needs the Doc No from the V5c
Eh?
Try again cambria mate. :rolleyes: I just looked up the following (and in thumbnail) for one of my cars, using nothing more than the registration.
  • Date of test
  • Mileage
  • Test No.
  • Expiry
  • Detailed list of failure items
  • Detailed list of advisories
Is that not enough detail? Quite a bit more than just "pass" or "fail"?

OK - to see the test location, that might give a clue to the location of the owner, you need the V5C reference. But that is incidental information compared to the failure items, and advisories, etc.

The point being, information about the car is unrestricted information. Information about the owner is however "protected". In the service histories for the other vehicles you can see your app, do any of them give any information about the owner(s) or the locations of where the servicing was carried out?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeh I know that thought that went without saying to most but if you click on View Test cerificate or Test location which could be more useful it needs the Vc5 No

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
Thanks for the update on DPA etc. Thinking more about it I guess VIN numbers are visible on cars anyway so easier enought to copy a Skoda VIN and try typing it in to the app.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Yeh I know that thought that went without saying to most but if you click on View Test cerificate or Test location which could be more useful it needs the Vc5 No
Just checked the recent Test Certificate for the vehicle used to illustrate the GDPR point in #33. The only additional bits of information on the cert. not already visible on the online example found by registration alone are:
  • Name of tester.
  • Test organisation and location
  • Generic reminders that the official record is the online view, not the piece of paper (very easily forged) and how to get an online reminder or that you can get the next test up to a month before the expired date and still preserve the expiry.
None of which are specific to the car. Therefore not really of much interest to a potential buyer. But do illustrate quite nicely the main point I was making and using the MoT record purely as an example (for Snowgood and any other readers who may be wondering about GDPR, not specifically for Cambria). That the information that relates to individual people, in this case names and work addresses, are the items that are more restricted. Not information about the car itself, which is outside the scope of GDPR. Thus easily available.

The subsidiary point Cambria makes about needing the V5C reference to unlock the personal data about the tester and location, does also help to support the principle that an extra key is needed to meet GDPR requirements. That key being the reference number of the current V5C. Which in theory at least is only available to the current owner. There is a new unique reference, every time a fresh V5C is issued.

Getting back to the original theme. What else can you see about those other VINs in the MySkoda app, that gives you concern Cambria? Or is it purely restricted to information about the car’s service record, not who carried out the work? The car information is “public domain” data, freely available to all.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Fascinating! Details of my 1975 R4 are still listed, my 2002 Octavia is on SORN and our 2011 Roomster has a current MoT.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Thanks for the update on DPA etc. Thinking more about it I guess VIN numbers are visible on cars anyway so easier enought to copy a Skoda VIN and try typing it in to the app.
Particularly useful for a potential buyer (like the MoT online check). So an interested viewer can read the VIN through the windscreen, while the car is on a forecourt. Then look up the online service record, before even beginning to go speak to a sales person. That’s one reason why VIN numbers were made more visible. Some years ago. Along with helping to combat “cloning”. I can remember when VINs were stamped to a hidden area of the inner sill. And before that on a small alloy plate, just pop riveted inside the engine bay. (n)

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
85 Posts
[Only the service history Flint which you get even if you click on the remove X. That car is then added to your My car list that part can be removed.My concern is apart from Skoda seemed unaware of this They are aware now it should not be on a freshly installed app.Whilst the Vin/Service bit s just a nuisance( cannot remove) there are other services on the app that are perhaps more vulnerable.Still as everything we post on forums is on google maybe academic

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re my contact with Skoda about all the Vins I had (July) Just had this Email from
HCL TECHNOLOGIES CZECH REPUBLIC s.r.o. Reg No. 04353684
Service provider for ŠKODA AUTO a.s., VC/2 – Customer Care
in the past you informed our support about problems with the MyŠkoda application. Since then, we've made a number of adjustments and improvements to fix all the issues. If you still have any problems with the MyŠkoda application, we will be grateful for any information you can provide.

All OK now at least I was not lost in the Post:)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts