Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
Just wondered what you thoughts are on the following.
1) when parking on an incline and putting it into "P" there is a slight roll forward until it comes to a halt, should i put the handbrake on before i put it into "P" thus holding it on brake or waiting till it shunts to a stop in "P"? and
2) I have been slipping it into neutral at longer waits at traffic lights, any benefits to this or just waiting on the foot brake?

Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
1. Always put the handbrake on first, let the car 'settle' then engage P. Otherwise you'll strain the DSG parking pawls.
2. Never hold on the footbrake with a DSG. Unlike a torque converter auto, the clutches will slip and will lead to early failure of the gearbox. Your method is correct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Thanks Jimmy, the automatic certainly make you adjust your driving style, i now look ahead and try to gauge traffic lights and roundabouts
Cheers
AJ

·
Registered
467 Posts
Never hold on the footbrake with a DSG. Unlike a torque converter auto, the clutches will slip and will lead to early failure of the gearbox. Your method is correct.
Sorry Jimmy...I beg to differ. If Drive is selected, holding on the footbrake disengages the clutches, and this is fine for limited stops; holding on the handbrake does not disengage the clutches, and it is this that will wreck them if done routinely. Best practice is to select Neutral if stopped for any length of time, and car can then be held on either footbrake or handbrake depending on conditions/preference/safety concern.

Reactions: Harvey

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'm going to sit twixt the two of you. I think it depends on the type of DSG (there are may different models) on some, if you leave it in drive and use the foot brake the revs drop due to the plates slipping. If this is the OP's experience then jimmy's comments apply. If the revs stay the same when left in drive and using the foot brake, then 'slartyfartblster's (sic) comments are correct.
I have had both experiences in the 7 Skoda DSGs I have owned, but I still tend to slip into N for any stop exceeding 30 seconds, just to be on the safe side. Of course when you upgrade:giggle: to a Karoq or Kamiq the problem is solved by the dreadful, unnecessary and pain in the @rse stop/start system!!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do the Karoq and Kamiq not have a stop/start over-ride button like the (downgrade:giggle:) Yeti ?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Hi Robjon the Karoq has an override button. I did explain my checks on the Karoq in a previous post in its own section. In brief this proved that the DSG is in neutral once stopped on the footbrake as the revs are identical in neutral and drive. From the handbook: Stopping temporarily (e.g. at a junction). Leave the selector lever in the D/S position and secure the vehicle with the brake pedal.Stopping. Keep the brake pedal depressed. Secure the vehicle with the parking brake. Press the button in the selector lever and set it to the P position.Turn off the engine.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks Jimmy (y) I got the impression (wrongly:oops:) that Colin was unable to switch off the stop/start on his Karoq.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Sorry if I misled you.
I used to turn it off all the time as it does NOT save any fuel (in my type of journeys).
But to be honest I just can't be bothered anymore and since I never keep my cars into MOT age I hope the starter and ring gear will not give up in the warranty period. I know both these components are beefed up, but I am not convinced on their longevity. Let alone the cost of the replacement stop/start battery at well over £100!

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
587 Posts
I used to turn it off all the time as it does NOT save any fuel (in my type of journeys).
Cheers Colin. Additionally, as Flintstone has mentioned in other threads, stop/start can actually increase pollution by allowing the cat to cool to below its operating temperature during the stop cycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts