Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery yesterday of a Yeti SE Plus 2 litre diesel, in Red. Iam not normally suspicious (just Paranoid!?), but I have 2 probably daft questions.

1. How do I know I have got the 170bhp model that I ordered. I looked under the hood but nothing obvious there?.

2. I also ordered Xeon headlights, but I can I tell if I have got them? I understood that these headlights came with their own jet cleaner, but there is none. I have tried them at night yet but thet don't give a very blue light????

·
Administrator
4,438 Posts
Congratulations!
re the Xenons they are not really that blue so colour isn't obvious. They should swivel when youturn them on as they self level butthe easiest way, other than looking at the actual bulbs, is probably to see if you have the Travel option in the Multi Function Information display. This is only available with Xenons and allows you to turn off the beam kick to the left that would dazzle on-coming drivers when driving on the right.
Go to Setup then Lights and Vision and there should be a Travel option that can be set to Off or On (It should be Off)

On thebhp of your car have you looked at the vehicle Information sticker? Should be on the boot floor IIRC and have the KW rating of your car. If you look in the Technical data section of your manual you'll find the appropriate rating which is c125KW.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't picking on you but I hope you find this forum nothing but helpful.

Switched on

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also look at theTDI badge on the tailgate. The 170bhp has a red D & I, the 140bhp has a red I and the 110bhp has no red letters.

Regarding the Xenons when you switch them on they should "align" themselves. Watch the beams and they will move left and right before settling down. Also have you got a headlamp levelling control on the dash? If not, then you've got Xenons as these have to have automatic levelling to prevent dazzle. Halogen lights have the manual levelling control.

Keith

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thought xenons had to have washers by law?? If so, no washers = not xenons; if I'm correct.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
The headlamp washers pop out from the bumper and only work when headlamps are switched on. i.e. when headlamps are on and you wash the screen, the headlamps are also washed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and thanks

Yes it does say TDI on the tail gate. My Paronioa is cured just need to learn how to spell it!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Matchless

Thank you I previously tried switching the lights on, but without the engine being started! Tried with the engine on and yes the lights did move left and right. Also got my wife to stand outside (in the dark and rain) and the headlights did get washed, although claims she did not see anything pop out!! It strange though as I went for a short drive in the dark round a single track country lane, and was not aware that the lights were moving

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Snowgood!

Yes the lights do swivel and self adjust, but this only happens if the engine is started as well. Obvious I suppose if you think about it! The headlamps do also appear to be washed. I didn't realise that this only works when the lights are on. I thought it happened when you clean the wind screen.. I am thinking I might be going senile, but I guess cars have moved on since I bought my last new car 8 years ago ( and it was an Alpha Romeo!)

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
If you look at the bumper justbelow the headlight on my car you will see a small rectangle, that is the headlight washer. Approx every fifith time you wash the screen, the washer will extend out of the bumper and wash the headlight. It will also operate if you pull and hold the washer lever

Edited by: The Hood

·
Registered
862 Posts
I didn't know the lights get would washed by holding the lever back except every 5th screen wash.My lights go through the leveling sequence everytime the engine starts even when they're not switched on, When I switch them on justafter starting the engine I can catch them in mid sequence.

I like the 'Bend Lighting' it's excellent on dark lanes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to The Hood, and actually had I read the manual properly I think I might have understood things a bit better. The manual is actually very good, although sometimes it is not clear if you are unsure if an option applies to your particular car!.

I didn't realise that the SE Plus comes with voice recognition. It actually works better than when I use my phone solo! One disappointment is that when in CD mode it doesn't display the name of the track or even the album. Same is true of when playing tracks from my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note). Also when I loaded my phone directory it also loaded email addresses for which there is no phone number . I would like to delete these. I think the solution might be to isolate those contacts on my phone that I don't have phone numbers for.

Anybody got any tips?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rick T

I thought the Xeon lights followed the road automatically? Or is 'bend lighting' something else????

·
Registered
266 Posts
The voice recognition can get a bit confused if there is extraneous noise in the car. Mine once failed to call a number as the sat nav was trying to direct me.

Also note that the steering wheel controls do not operate when the ignition is off. I found this out when trying to answer a call while waiting in a car park with the engine off. The call can be answered by pressing phone on the radio and touching the green symbol.

If you look at the TDI on the tailgateare the D and I red? If they are this indicates it's the 170bhp engine. Mine is the 140bhp and has just a red I.

Keith

·
Registered
862 Posts
pyratepeter said:
Hi Rick T

I thought the Xeon lights followed the road automatically? Or is 'bend lighting' something else????
Yes they follow the steering when over a certain speed but you can turn it on/off via the MDI display, Sounds like yours may allready be on.

If you have cornering foglamps they come on at low speed but they can not be turned off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
one way of finding out if the washers are working is to get the wife to stand in front of the bonnet looking at the driver, then if you turn on yourignitionand the head lights and, here is the rub, pull the wiper stick back and watch the wife's reaction, see easy, you might not get any food for a while but you'll know if the washers work !!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Keith

The controls on the steering wheel do work with the engine off, but the ignition on. I am gonna have another look at the TDI on the back. I think it is red, but because the car is bright red I thought it was the reflection on silver letters. Will take a close look in the morning! I am pretty sure that I have got 170 bhp though, as another forum member said the information is under the carpet in the book, and it says 125 kw which (I hope is the metric equivalent of 170 bhp) It does seem a little under powered though compared to my 2.4 litre diesel Alpha Romeo (which has been in the garage for nearly 3 weeks!), but I am not driving it hard at present as I am running it in. Once it is run in I think it will be more responsive

I was surprised to read in the manual that it has to be run in as I thought that wasn't necessary in modern cars. The other thing I find strange is that the Max Dot is constantly telling me to change up, but sometimes I think the engine is labouring too much in the higher gear?

(Pyrate) Peter

·
Registered
266 Posts
You're quite right the steering wheel controls work with the ignition on but once the ignition is off and the key is still in the ignition, the radio is still on and the steering wheel controls are disabled.

Additionally with the ignition off the radio can be turned on by pressing the volume knob but the phone cannot be paired until the ignition is turned on.

Anyway you'll enjoy discovering all the features on the car, I've had mine nearly 5 months and am still finding some of the more obscure features.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
pyratepeter said:
I was surprised to read in the manual that it has to be run in as I thought that wasn't necessary in modern cars. The other thing I find strange is that the Max Dot is constantly telling me to change up, but sometimes I think the engine is labouring too much in the higher gear?(Pyrate) Peter
Running the Yeti in should not be a problem, if you keep the revs down to 2000 you will still be doing close to the national speed limit. With a new car it is not just the engine that benefits from a gentle start, the tyres benefit from being "run in" as do the brakes etc.
The maxidot automatically suggests changing up at 1500 rpm, but I have found I get more mpg changing at around 1700 rpm.
Whilst you are still finding all the "toys", here is one that could save you some frustration. If you try and lift the wipers from the windscreen they will catch the bonnet. If you think there will be a frost and you will have to scrape the windscreen in the morning, when you park and remove the ignition key knock the wiper stalk and the wipers will move to the 12 o'clock position and stop, then you can lift them without damaging the paintwork.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that. I didn't know there was a national speed limit? ((Only joking...). Interesting what you were saying about the wipers. I lifted them to wash my Yeti and there was no problem? Perhaps I was just lucky with where they had stopped???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts