Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my 2 Ltr Diesel YETI is on order I am thinking ahead about the question of the DPF.
There must be quite a few owners who do not do a big mileage that have avoided issues with the DPF.
Do you have any tips for preserving it?
What driving techniques can I adopt to ensure that I will be problem free?
Does it need a good thrashing? (visions of John Cleese now in Faulty Towers!) but seriously, Ifyes, how often?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2.0l diesel Yeti with a D.P.F. and I mostly do short journeys. I've never had an issue with it. On my last car, a VW Passat with the same engine and a D.P.F. the light did come on once indicating that it needed a good run to clear t out. I took it out for about 20 miles and drove it as per the handbook stated in the event that the warning light came on. I had no issues since.

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
As long as you are aware of its requirements it's not as scary as it sounds. I've covered 23,000 miles and can now tell when it is regenerating by the sound of the engine if driving, the increased tickover 950/1000 rpm, or the smell if stopped at the lights. Here is a leaflet I picked up a while ago which might ease your mind.
uploads/10/DPF.pdf

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a petrol so no experience of a DPF, but whilst I was in the dealers last week I over heard a phone call concerning a repair to a Superb (I think - defo not a Yeti) where there had been an issue with the fuel control valve (again, I think) that had ment that the particulate filter had failed. Apparently the technicians had tried to regenerate it but with no sucess. Even with a 25% contribution from Skoda UK towards the cost of the replacement DPF, the bill was northwards of £2,500
Yoiks!

Edited by: discosteve

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you once again Hood most helpful and reduces my fears a tad. (just printed off a copy)I will not be the no1 driver & SWMBO is not at all sensitive to changes in mechanical sounds/smells, so I will have to keep an eye on things. (she is yet to find out where the diesel goes in on current car after 7.5 years!) Mind you that's probably more financial!)
How often does it regenerate?
Do you ever change your driving to accomodate this process?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Hood, re: your note about increased idle speed and DPF regenerating.My Yeti suddenly started to idle at 950-1000rpm last week during 1 journey of around 10 miles (engine was already warm). It has since reverted back to a more normal 800rpm every day since.
Could this have been in relation to the DPFregenerating?
Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In addition to the increased idle speed you may also hear the engine cooling fans running when the engine is turned off.
Keith

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
JOOKS said:
Do you ever change your driving to accomodate this process?
I can't really say how often it regenerates as it depends on recent usage. If I notice it is doing so when I am in slower traffic I tend not to change up above fourth for a couple of miles by which time it has usually finished. The first thing I usually notice in slower trafficis the smell which is quite unique but not particularly pleasant. In eighteen months I have only had the fans run on once after parking and switching off, that was due to an incomplete regen, as I had arrived at work I could not do anything about it, and there were no noticeable after effects.

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
Rolymo said:
Hi Hood, re: your note about increased idle speed and DPF regenerating.My Yeti suddenly started to idle at 950-1000rpm last week during 1 journey of around 10 miles (engine was already warm). It has since reverted back to a more normal 800rpm every day since.
Could this have been in relation to the DPFregenerating?
Thanks.
It probably was, if you had had to stop at the lights, you would also have noticed an odd smell. Other times the revs will increase are when the engine is cold in the winter, and if you are creeping along in a queue of traffic. I am often in a queue going up a fairly steep hill in first gear, the revsstay at 900 rpm and the car does not stall and my foot is not on the accelerator.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
JOOKS said:
I have seen from other sources that it is about every 700-800 kilometres for most people in Europe...but it is only what I have read.

Edited by: plbxr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts