Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year I'll be looking to change Willy John for another Yeti. The reports on the forum indicate that the 140 and 170 diesel burners are superb cars and ones that I would actively consider. My query is can you buy one without the PDF? It appears that the extended warranty excludes the PDF. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,632 Posts
All the diesels come with a Diesel Particulate Filter, although there are horror stories about DPF's the Yeti has not been around long enough to know if they will be problems. I've done just over 15000 miles in just over a year without any problems, it was at least six months before I noticed regenerations taking place. Graham has done over 50,000 miles in three years, and has not mentioned any trouble on this forum.
The type of journey probably makes a difference, short distance stop starting could cause the DPF problems getting hot enough to clear themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Moi?

DPF!! (Isn't a PDF a computer thing?)

Now done nearly 62k miles and never, ever had a problem. Suspect it regenerates about each month (1500miles), but nothing I worry about. Certainly much better than a stupid "Adblue" system!!

A lot depends on the journeys you do. Lots of short hops or stuck in trafficwhen it can never get properly hot might cause problems, but there are owners with diesels in London I know who don't have any problems.

You cannot buy a Yeti without the DPF because it would be illegal for Skoda to sell one. They are now required on ALL diesel vehicles, in some manner.

And agreed, the 140 is great. Performance is more than adequate, even with a 1200kg caravan on the back. Fuel consumption is excellent and I've averaged very top 40's during all the time I've hadDewi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have just completed my first 3K miles with my 170 4x4 SE Plus, have been aware of the ReGen on 3 occasions , when I have stopped and turned off, the radiator fans are doing overtime and the car spells like it is going to burst into flames. I have been told that for peace of mind it is good to restart engine and let it idle for a short while, this will help the Cat to cool down.
Still the best car I have ever bought "yet" and it has proved to be a brilliant tow car over the Easter Break.
Thanks Skoda !!

·
Administrator
13,632 Posts
The only times I have been aware of when mine is regenerating is a couple of times when I have stopped at the lights with a warm engine, the RPM was at 1000 rpm and there was a slight smell. If I hadn't stopped at the lights I would not have known about the rpm and probably not have noticed the smell.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments and info regarding all diesels to be sold with a DPF orequivalent. I'll keep my eye on the forum in case there are similar topics.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Hood said:
The only times I have been aware of when mine is regenerating is a couple of times when I have stopped at the lights with a warm engine, the RPM was at 1000 rpm and there was a slight smell. If I hadn't stopped at the lights I would not have known about the rpm and probably not have noticed the smell.

Is the 1000rpm idle speed the clue the DPF is regenerating? I have noticed it, very infrequently and wondered why. No smells or high engine temperatures though.

·
Administrator
13,632 Posts
When the engine is cold my tick over is around 900, if I am creeping along at tick over in first gear in a traffic jam it is 1000. If when I am stopped at the lights and the engine is hot and the idle speed is 1000 it is a regeneration, the increased rpm helps keep things hot and the exhaust pressure up. I have a very good sense of smell but only notice it if I stop at a red light. I have never had the fans running on after turning the ignition off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts