Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking at petrol additives i do short runs totol about 50 miles a week then when lockdown is over every other month a run to Reading 350 miles round trip and a couple of runs to cornwall had a look at archoil not sure what to order if any we have a 2017 1.2 tsi petrol 23000 miles manual whats your thoughts guys
Thanks
Simon

·
Premium Member
5,505 Posts
Do you use supermarket or "regular" petrol?

·
Administrator
5,257 Posts
I use Archoil AR6900-P Max every fill-up, which in recent times hasn't been too often as mileage well down in the last twelve months.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
6,252 Posts
Based on 2-3 years experience with the Archoil equivalent for Diesel engines, I’d be inclined to go with SnowGood’s recommendation. Keeps the fuel system and most importantly the injectors clear, at very least. Probably a lot more.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
Archoil have another product Hybrogen which is a fuel conditioner and can be used in diesel or petrol, one benifit during lockdown is that hybrogen prevents fuel degrading.

"This is where Oilem Hybrogen enters the arena. Hybrogen is essentially an aggressive dispersant and combustion modifier. It helps clean but through the use of cleaner combustion gases and by reducing surface tension in the fuel system. There is no active detergent. This surface tension reduction also improves lubricity yet there is no active lubricant. It improves combustion quality by manipulating the fuel rather than “treating” it.

Here is a link to some good reading.

Oilem Hybrogen Road Fuel Conditioner (powerenhancer.co.uk)

·
Registered
11 Posts
So should you use an additive regardless of where you buy petrol? I was once told to use a regular garage every third or fourth fill up, and supermarkets are fine the rest of the time.
Cheers, Peter.

·
Administrator
5,257 Posts
Premium fuel from Shell and BP (other premium fuels are available) tends to already contain the additives so use of a fuel treatment is less important but to keep the price lower supermarkets often omit these same additives, which is why the recommendation to fill up with premium every two or three fills. The cost of Archoil per tank (50ml) works out less than the additional cost of buying premium fuel every time for many people but as fuel prices vary depending where you live you may have to do that calculation yourself.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
All brands that are sold meet a minimum requirement, I use Archoil and most of the time Chateau Tesco. The biggest influence if you drive a diesel is the type of journey made. I buy the lowest price fuel on offer or Esso if they are reasonable as I have a fuel card. At the last MOT (Dec 2020) at over 100,000 miles the emissions reading was almost non-existent.
With the DPF oil ash does not get completely burnt off, so if you are burning engine oil that is a bigger problem than the brand of fuel.
I reckon it is time that Archoil sent me another discount code and when/if they do I will post it on the forum. The code Ford Club (or was it fordclub) used to get a discount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help some good reading in these posts and my take on it is i will be keeping the yeti for a good while yet so archoil Hybrogen is what i will try i will post up my thoughts later in the year need to give it a good test
Thanks guys
Simon

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I agree with Snowgood.
As an ex Shell retail Automotive man I would say that if you buy from the top 3 Shell, BP, Esso, fuel additives are basically a waste of money as the fuel, whether petrol or diesel is fully specc'd with additives to combat wear , fuel degradation and engine 'cleaners'.
Supermarket fuels tend to have less or none of the above. but still comply with Government BS.
I alway use Tesco as I am a poor old impoverished pensioner who changes his car every year or 18 months. Because of this I don't have any problems with fuel or consumption. I regularly get 50 mpg on a run and 40 urban from my 1.5TSi DSG Karoq.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts