Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other threads, mention has been made of supermarkets and preferences. My favourite is Morrisons, but the nearest one is 20 miles away, so it's currently unavailable. We used to combine a visit with a trip to RSPB Bempton Cliffs, or a walk around Scarborough. I like their fresh vegetable section and the butcher is trained properly, so for example he can bone a lamb's leg. Of the local shops, LIDL and ALDI have a limited but good range of produce. ALDI's vegetables seem fresher, but it's a relatively new store with chilled air keeping the fruit and veg fresh. Both LIDL and ALDI sell malted bloomer sliced bread, the latter's one being quite high in fibre. It is delicious toasted and highly recommended. Sainsbury's is good for fresh produce and to fill the gaps with items not available from the budget stores, but it's more expensive than Morrisons. Our local Co-op has never been a favourite, although I admire their company ethos. It's expensive, their meat is not available in large joints and there is something old-fashioned about the layout. When we lived near Windsor, we occasionally shopped in Waitrose if we felt well-off but their prices were very high, although the quality was excellent. Similarly, M&S has lovely food and it's a delight to walk around loking at the produce, but it's too expensive, except when they have their meal deals. I'm not keen on ASDA, the shops just look tired and poorly laid out, similarly I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Tesco in Scarborough even though Morrisons is further away. Many years ago, when I was tight for money, I used to buy from Kwik Save which was like early times Tesco: goods piled high in cut-away cardboard boxes and sold cheaply. Once we are back to normal, I'm going to support the smaller businesses which have gone out of their way to provide a service: all the meat other than chicken thighs will come from a butcher who provided a home delivery for us, vegetables from Willisons, which was founded in the early 1800's and is still run by descendants of the founders and so on.

To cheer us up, I used the following recipe for our Saturday meal, which lasted for two further meals. (Cooking is a great comforter). Open up a boned leg of lamb and spread it with a blitzed mixture of parsley, mint, garlic, breadcrumbs and an egg. Then cover the mix with chopped black pudding and tie the joint together with string. Then (for a fan oven) 30 mins at 220, 60 mins at 180 and rest it for 30 minutes. As the butcher delivered a massive lump of black pudding, tonight's meal will be filleted chicken thighs, stuffed with black pudding and garlic, tied into parcels, then served after cooking with cauliflower and sprouts. Similarly, it's quite easy to bone a chicken and then stuff it with anything to hand: I like garlic, onion and sausage meat. That's next weekend sorted! Does anyone have any other favourite recipes using produce easily available from supermarkets or local shops?.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cauliflower and sprouts devils veg.
Carrots an peas for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll go for almost all vegetables, I find Scorzonera a difficult one to source, if you grow it, it will go to seed via a very beautiful purplish flower. Asparagus is just coming into season and it is widely grown round here, Green pod peas are great, carrots can be bland but grow your own and they are superb. I have gradually drifted away from meat and I couldn't say why. Fruit with a savoury bit of light meat is very enjoyable, grilled chicken with Mango was something I made when there were a group of us cooking a dish apiece, 2 vegetarians helped every scrap to get eaten.

I think meat is best enjoyed as a treat, very best quality and preferably with some fat somewhere in the mix.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
We buy all our meat from either of 2 independent butchers.
We buy all our fruit and veg from either the independent greengrocer or the Organic veg shop.
We buy milk from the Health Food shop because it comes from an Welsh organic farmers co-operative.
We buy cheeses from the Organic veg shop.
We buy bread from ither of 2 small independent bread and cake shops.
We buy fish from the independent fishmonger, who also sells roasted coffee beans.
Occasionally we will visit the small Co-op in town, mainly to buy their 99 Tea.
Occasionally we will visit the small Spar for any other odds and ends.

The only supermarket we occasionally visit is Lidl, but only if passing through Newtown; why would I want to drive 30+ miles to go shopping when everything we want to eat we can get within walking distance? And of better quality.

Which reminds me I need to ring one of the butchers to order our meat for the weekend. It will either be a belly pork joint I will slow cook over a bed of apples, or a small shoulder of lamb (local of course!) which will be cooked with rosemary roast potatoes. What we order for Sunday will then hint to what we will have Saturday. And I'll need to add some smoked bacon and some stewing beef as we are doing a weekly order at the moment to save going out too often.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
... a small shoulder of lamb (local of course!) which will be cooked with rosemary roast potatoes.
And remember Graham: “Welsh Lamb is sweeter”.
You more than most will know where I stole that slogan from. :)

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
We buy all our fruit and veg from either the independent greengrocer or the Organic veg shop.
We buy milk from the Health Food shop because it comes from an Welsh organic farmers co-operative.
We buy cheeses from the Organic veg shop.
We buy bread from ither of 2 small independent bread and cake shops.
We buy fish from the independent fishmonger, who also sells roasted coffee beans.
Occasionally we will visit the small Co-op in town, mainly to buy their 99 Tea.
Occasionally we will visit the small Spar for any other odds and ends.

The only supermarket we occasionally visit is Lidl, but only if passing through Newtown; why would I want to drive 30+ miles to go shopping when everything we want to eat we can get within walking distance? And of better quality.

Which reminds me I need to ring one of the butchers to order our meat for the weekend. It will either be a belly pork joint I will slow cook over a bed of apples, or a small shoulder of lamb (local of course!) which will be cooked with rosemary roast potatoes. What we order for Sunday will then hint to what we will have Saturday. And I'll need to add some smoked bacon and some stewing beef as we are doing a weekly order at the moment to save going out too often.
Which ever way you look at it some people will think you are lucky or un-lucky.

Lucky being that you have access to all that locally.

But un-lucky that you have no supermarket close to hand.

Where i live we are overrun with supermarkets now.

We used to buy all our veg from a "garden centre" Country Market that had its own fruit & veg a few miles away, but the introduction of Aldi & Lidl are more convenient and to be honest nearly as good.

I do call at a farm shop (who had a stall in the indoor market in town) now for lamb and beef burgers.

When we are at Barmouth i also use the local butchers, but if full shop is needed it off to Porthmadog

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
We have a huge number of Supermarkets but have supported a Farmshop/garden centre for many years as Wokingham Council are he11 bent on destroying them. This has been going on to the extent of ending up in the high court and the judge telling the council they are out of order, but still they will not back off, I think someone at the council knows a developer with a full wallet.
The problem is that it is a good nine mile drive away so we would have to drive there which under current conditions is a bit "naughty" they are struggling and have reduced their opening hours. It is a very scruffy site as they had to dismantle most of it to keep Rob out of prison. So if anyone is near Sheeplands Hare Hatch near Maidenhead they need you! They close at 1430 now, they have a certain Mrs May amongst their customers, perhaps that is why Wokingham Council are so vicious, you will be hard pressed to find a friendlier place.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Which ever way you look at it some people will think you are lucky or un-lucky.

Lucky being that you have access to all that locally.

But un-lucky that you have no supermarket close to hand.

Where i live we are overrun with supermarkets now.

We used to buy all our veg from a "garden centre" Country Market that had its own fruit & veg a few miles away, but the introduction of Aldi & Lidl are more convenient and to be honest nearly as good.

I do call at a farm shop (who had a stall in the indoor market in town) now for lamb and beef burgers.

When we are at Barmouth i also use the local butchers, but if full shop is needed it off to Porthmadog
Quite simply, why do I need a supermarket, especially when I would need to drive over 30 miles to use them? Perhaps our little town is lucky but none of the independent shops are overly expensive, and all have excellent supplies.

When we moved here in 2003 we looked at what we couldn't buy, and including furniture and white goods in that list, the only things then we're a computer and a pair of glasses. Now we've even got 2 computer shop's but still no optician.

Amazingly Llanidloes has the biggest furniture shop in Wales. Google Hafren Furnishers. We're not that far from Barmouth, you'll have to pop over next time you're here.

And yes Henry, I know exactly where you mean!

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Literally, food for thought in the replies. Once the shops are back to normal, I'm going to shop locally more often. When we moved here, I bought a wheeled shopping trolley, but as we drove to the shops it hasn't been used much. I'm now planning to walk around town to shop at the different butcher/baker/greengrocer which will do my bit towards paying them back for their efforts, as well as adding to my exercise.regime. In fact, just like my mum in the 60's!

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
. Now we've even got 2 computer shop's but still no optician
Anyone can set up in a shed or garage and call themselves an optician. If you want someone who can test your eyes properly, and tell if you have a multitude of problems, you need an Optometrist. Go for a small independent, they have to be good to survive. The large chains have minimum requirement examinations, targets and commission rates and are not always what they seem. A member of our family (UK branch) was sent a letter of thanks after a patient of theirs had an eye removed to save her life after a routine examination picked up something a "production line shop" would not, in addition the German branch of our family includes an ophthalmic surgeon and you should hear the two of them when they talk about the likes %^&£@{%ers. Good adverts but that's about all.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Sorry Hoodie, but yes I was using the generic term.
Personally we use an independent optometrist in Newtown.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts