Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New shoes from Camskill in 225/50R17 for the Spitzbergs.

I'll post some pics when they're fitted, then I'll do a review in 6 months when we're allowed out for a drive ?

Spagley

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I need to replace two summer tyres due to severe damage I found on one when putting the winter wheels on last year. Was about to do so but I am actually considering taking the car off the road for three months at least. This is the car I use for work and don't need it at the moment. Indeed if this goes on until Oct as many suggest it will, it can stay already on its winter tyres

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
I need to replace two summer tyres due to severe damage I found on one when putting the winter wheels on last year.
Is that reason alone a good excuse to swap wheels twice a year?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Collected the wheels from the pet VAG garage, so they are a step closer to the car now.

Spagley.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
The tread pattern, block sizes, angles and sipe density on those look remarkably, even amazingly, similar to the Yokohama Wdrive902 winter tyres I’ve used on my BMWs for the last 8 winters. (This year will be their last as they are down to <3mm now and beginning to show a few fine cracks around the base of the tread blocks.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the first day of British Summer Time (obviously) brought us sleety hail stuff, but it didn't completely stop me swapping the wheels over.

I just had to hide inside from the sideways weather a few times!

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Indeed! Do I detect a Rover V8 lurking there?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Indeed! Do I detect a Rover V8 lurking there?
Perhaps! I definitely detect one but I don't recognise the bell housing. It doesn't look like one that was originally intended to be bolted to that engine. The arrangement of what looks like the clutch fork and mount for a slave cylinder look distinctly "home made". A boat application?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well this should keep you occupied for a little while :)

It's from a road going project I built about 20 yrs ago, passed to a friend in 2005 who used it for occasional commuting to Pinewood studios. He took it off the road to rebuild some bits but ran out of time and garage space, so I re-adopted in 2016 needing a fair bit of TLC, but have had very limited pottering time.

I'll have to drip feed a few more pics !

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Well I recognise the cage manufacturer of course. Sat within the confines of their structures hundreds of times. And other makers. But still struggling to identify the exterior bodywork. Very 70’s with that chromed window frame though. This is a right rear window.

Next clue?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Getting warmer Flintstone, right decade :)

Here's another shot of the lump.

The most frequent question at shows was - what gearbox is that?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I recognise a Lucas windscreen wiper motor in pic 2, but not the gearbox.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
And is that a fire extinguisher nozzle for a “plumbed in” system? Or a blanking end to a disused fluid line? Together with the cage, suggests a vehicle prepared to MSA competition regs?

Rover V8 lump, mated to an unusual gearbox. (Surely not from a Princess??)

I’m beginning to think along the lines of a “homologation special” of some kind? Possibly with a mid-engined layout? Not a Davrian. Too many windows. Or maybe a modified, steel-bodied car? Bulkhead behind the wiper drive shows some ferrous oxide deposits?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Meanwhile, looking at the shape of the rear window, I think the car is a classic Mini with a transverse V8 .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Now I'm sure it's this particular Mini:

Check the wiper motor with blue nozzle adjacent:

That must be the LH drive shaft sticking out from the engine back plate. Edit: No, gearbox input shaft.

Is the engine ex Range Rover?

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Well Done Bryetian! (y) (y)😃

I did think Mini for a while, with that window shape.
But then thought “surely not?” With a V8? Astonishing. :oops: :D
That would explain why the Princess gearbox would be shoe-horned to fit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts