Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to decide between SE Plus & Elegance spec.

Elegance spec. includes standard leather seats. I would probably prefer cloth seats as I
imagine that leather seats are:

a) Cold in the winter compared to cloth (yes I know the front seats will be eventually warm once the heatedseat button is turned on). The back seats won't be heated though and am a bit concerned
about the kids complaining about being cold!

b) Hot and sweaty in the summer.

c) They look a bit crumpled/baggy after only a year or so of use, whereas cloth looks new
if you look after them.

Can you please try andpersuademe that I am worryingaboutnothing and leather seats are wonderful.
The Elegance spec. is otherwiseattractive and there are far more used elegance models to choose from
than SE Plus.

Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is the third car in a row (2 Disco's & the Yeti) we have had leather, the two previous had cream, the Yeti black.
Personally the seats don't feel that cold to me and I never use the heated seats, the Enemy does use them but rarely complains and she's always rugged up anyway!
Summer, they can be hot but on the odd occasion we do have that type of weather in the UK, we just put a towel on the seat. The two Discos had sun roofs, the Yeti doesn't, it will be interesting to compare the difference when the summer comes.
I've noticed the seat area has gone a little baggy, again the Enemy is quite picky, but she hasn't mentioned it. Disco seats had more ribbing so didn't show any bagginess.
One thing that is obvious from comments on here is that you need to sit in and drive in the seats you choose, they are not all equal!
I would not try to influence you in any way, that's the joys of changing a car, what I would emphasize is that tou get in and sit on some different ones, especially look at seats in 2nd hand cars at dealers, and make a decision youand yours will be happy with.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I like mine, recent cold weather and the heated seats are on. They warm up quicker than the air blowers.

The black leather although not high mileage looks as new, They were Guard-X'd when new,I have only used a dampened cloth to remove any dirt/mud and vacuum any grit out of the stitching.

If you can have a look at some second hand models to se what you recon,I think you may right about the rear seats being colder. In the summer the 'Climmatronic'works well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
RickT said:
I like mine, recent cold weather and the heated seats are on. They warm up quicker than the air blowers.

The black leather although not high mileage looks as new, They were Guard-X'd when new,I have only used a dampened cloth to remove any dirt/mud and vacuum any grit out of the stitching.

If you can have a look at some second hand models to see what you reckon,I think you may right about the rear seats being colder. In the summer the 'Climmatronic'works well.[/QUOTE

+1 Mine has Gobi tan seats. So far no wrinkles. SWMBO loves heated seats - try a car rug over seats in rear, it will have the added advantage of being easier to wash than textile seats (or not!!)

·
Registered
394 Posts
paulthepedant said:
+1 Mine has Gobi tan seats. So far no wrinkles. SWMBO loves heated seats - try a car rug over seats in rear, it will have the added advantage of being easier to wash than textile seats (or not!!)
Don't know if kids wear sandals with metal buckles these days but a rug would protect the leather from scratches, come to think of it perhaps kids are a reason to go for cloth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Wimbo

Just a comparison. My first test drive was in a SE Plus and hated the seats as they were very hard and uncomfortable! I nearly walked away from getting a yeti for this reason. I then had a test drive in an Elegance and was delighted with the leather seats as they were so comfortable and hugged nicely. I have had two renault scenic's both with half leather seats and have found them okay without being heated.

I think most of us have leather sofa's at home these days and unless you have the soft leather type then they are cold when you sit on them in the winter. So as a car stands outside then they are going to be cold as well.

I would still go for leather and the elegance and cover the back seats with a rug like others have said..

Hope this helps.

Poetry6666

·
Administrator
14,853 Posts
Mine's just over two years old and in it's third winter, I've used it in -10 but the seats did not seem overly cold when first sat on. When it is cold you wear more clothes so unless you have thin trousers it is not uncomfortable. When it is hot they get slightly warm but the inside of the Yeti dos not get particularly hot compared to previous cars. However some people feel the cold more than others, I don't, SWMBO does, and if your children have bare legs they may comment. I have covered almost 28000 miles and the seats have a few wrinkles along the side but nothing untoward.If the Elegance had the option of cloth seats I would have chosen cloth, and would next time if it were an option, but that is just personal preference. The seats are extremely comfortable and are the reason that I bought a Yeti, you reallydo need to sit in them before you buy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your useful comments. I need to test drive a few more Elegance modelsbut it sounds like the leather is ok for most of the year anyway. Would still prefer cloth or alcantara if it was availableinstead in Elegance spec. (but sadly it is not!).

·
Administrator
5,143 Posts
I'd agree with the other comments about the leather seats. Not found them a problem in the winter and hey I live in the UK so summer heat rarely an issue. Leather do deal with general spills better than cloth but which ever you choose then treat them right and they will last looking good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not had a vehicle with leather seats before and wonder how they will wear. I ordered an Elegance based on the level of trim I wanted but more importantly on the comfort of the seats. I test drove models of all trim levels and found the comfort of the seats in the Elegance to be the best for me.
As to their care, there is lots of advice out there as how to look after them and the basics seem to be, not to put on the seats any sharp,abrasive objects including zips on clothing, vacuuming regularly to remove dust and grit, wiping the seats etc down with a damp cloth and then drying them off and applying a good quality leather treatment/food every so often to keep the material breathing and supple.
I've used that principal on my leather motorcycle gear and it's still in excellent condition after many years of use.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Judge3151 said:
As to their care, there is lots of advice out there as how to look after them and the basics seem to be, not to put on the seats any sharp,abrasive objects including zips on clothing, vacuuming regularly to remove dust and grit, wiping the seats etc down with a damp cloth and then drying them off and applying a good quality leather treatment/food every so often to keep the material breathing and supple.
Good point Judge, our seats had the Auto Glym treatment before we had it, must look up to see if its ok to do so. Must look in the bag of stuff that came with the car to see if there is anything in there, if I can find it! We're not big on cleaning the poor thing

·
Registered
394 Posts
Epicyclic said:
Judge3151 said:
Good point Judge, our seats had the Auto Glym treatment before we had it, must look up to see if its ok to do so. Must also look in the bag of stuff that came with the car to see if there is anything in there, if I can find it! We're not big on cleaning the poor thing

·
Registered
471 Posts
I do not have experience of Yeti leather seats(yet) but have had my SLK since 2007 with black leather. Used with the top down when ever possible, so exposed to sun, grit & 14 stone of ME!So farseats have lasted well with only a v. small amount of stretch to the leather in the centre of the drivers seat.
I have had no fancy treatments done to them, I just rub them over every 6 months with a fairly inexpensive leather "feed" & clean from Halfords.
However - as with all seating leather or cloth, the weight of the previous driver & type of use, will have the biggest effect on the seat condition/support/sagging. Therefore you can only get an idea of how good the seat is for you by giving the exact car a decent long test drive.
Wishing you all he best with your selection".

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't say if you are looking at new or used but as far as I am aware the SE plus is not available in the new versions, just the SE and SE Greenline which may effect your decission.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No trouble with my leather seats at 2 1/2 years, 24000mls. They still look much as they did when new, and are very comfortable. First car in 48 years I can drive for over 2 hours without b-m, back and leg ache!But as has been said (written) TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

·
Administrator
14,853 Posts
igg said:
First car in 48 years I can drive for over 2 hours without b-m, back and leg ache!But as has been said (written) TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

+1 I have driven from Cologne to the French Eurotunnel Terminal non stop with no problems, and I have a damaged spine (allergy to falling off ladders).

·
Administrator
5,143 Posts
I use Amoral Leather Care Gel, when I remember on the leather. Came out well in one of the car cleaning reviews in 2012. (Probably Auto Express as that's the one I usually read.)

Wearing denims on the lighter colour is supposed to be a source of problems as the dye can transferbut not been an issuefor me. With the black leather you would never notice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found that leather seats on previous cars I've had to be superb especially as dog hair doesn't 'stick' to them. The only downside was that when braking sharply any briefcase left on the rear seats would always slide onto the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
wimbo said:
Would still prefer cloth or alcantara if it was availableinstead in Elegance spec. (but sadly it is not!).

You CAN get an Elegance with Alcantara seats - it's a no-cost-option in lieu ofleather. Have got it on one of our current cars and it's warm in winter & wears well. Also much softer than leather.

Our new Elegance (due in the dealers next week) is being supplied with Alcantara seats.
Edited by: 137699

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks - but I am only looking at used pre-FL Yetis. These aren't available in alcantara as faras I know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts