Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Yeti has had a rattle for some time. It seems to come from the central are a of the dashboard and is at its worst (or best) when the ambient temperature is low and the car interior is also cold. The rattle is intermittent and sound like a couple of pieces of plastic tapping together. Happily, or perhaps not for the task of identifying the source, the rattle disappears as the car interior warms up.

That leaves only a short time to find the source so all I have done up until now is empty the glove box and the dash top stowage, poke the dashboard while driving and put the vents and heating system in various configurations. None of that helped but the short cold spell earlier this week persuaded me to have another go at finding the source.

As a start I have removed the dash top stowage box and the centre vents. That gives me a good view inside the top centre area of the dashboard but I found nothing obviously loose or rattly. The vents themselves have a small amount of play between the finger grip and the left/right vanes, but that play seems insufficient to cause the rattle.

It's all set up for a test drive tomorrow morning:

·
Premium Member
5,082 Posts
You sure the noise is not coming from the dials or something in the glovebox?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure yet about the dials. The glovebox has been empty for all my testing although I may still remove it at some point depending on how the testing goes.

I need to test bit by bit to have any chance of finding the source.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You may have completely removed the parts that are causing the trouble........ noises like that are often the result of adjacent trim/components chafing. Expansion as the interior warms up tightens the fit, and the noise stops. If you put them all back together, you may find the problem has gone away.... but if not, try slightly repositioning them, or forcing a bit of polythene or similar into cracks between them.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
In cold weather mine makes a noise that is a cross between a crackle and a rattle, if I put my finger in between the steering wheel shroud and the instrument binnacle it stops. I think they use polystyrene blocks as packing under the steering wheel shroud, strangely now I know what causes it, it doesn't bother me any more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
To aid diagnosis, try connecting a signal generator to the stereo, then dial the freq up until the buzz/rattle starts ?

For higher frequency buz detection, something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finestandroid.soundgenerator&hl=en connected as bluetooth audio works well for me.

For lower frequency rattles just crank up the intro to Blue Monday. (note: Other contemporary music is also available, your windows may be at risk if you turn up to 11). :wink:

Spag

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Test drive done and the rattle is still present. It's not the dash top stowage box or centre vents unit!
Next step is remove either the glove box or the ICE unit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A foreign object pushed down the vent by an unknown person could be the problem!
That's possible, would be very difficult to locate and more work than I am prepared to do to fish it out.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the meantime, pollen filter checked for 'rattling' leaves but all clear.
Glove box removed and test drive done. The noise is still present but the large space vacated by the glove box makes it more easily heard.
Rain stopped play for now but the next candidate for temporary eviction is the radio unit.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Meant to say earlier, but your latest avatar image is an interesting epicyclic gear unit. Unusual to see one with helical / diagonal cut teeth? Or that could be me only ever having taken apart epicyclic units from agricultural machinery with straight cut teeth.

What is it from please? Out pure nosiness!

Good Luck with The Rattle btw.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Radio unit (Amundsen 1) removed but test drive aborted due to sudden onset of rain/hail shower of Biblical proportions. By the time it was over the car was too warm to continue the test.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meant to say earlier, but your latest avatar image is an interesting epicyclic gear unit. Unusual to see one with helical / diagonal cut teeth? Or that could be me only ever having taken apart epicyclic units from agricultural machinery with straight cut teeth.

What is it from please? Out pure nosiness!

Good Luck with The Rattle btw.
It's just a .gif file I found somewhere on the interweb and saved because I found it intriguing. Helical cut teeth are the norm for car auto gearboxes

The first epicyclic gears I took apart were labelled Sturmey Archer. I had little idea about what I was doing but the gear change link had broken inside the spindle. A lot of bits fell out but eventually I manage to complete the jigsaw and it did work again.

As it's a .gif file my avatar should show the gears in action but either I'm uploading it incorrectly, the file is too big or the forum won't allow them. Drag and drop in the message box works though. If you click on the thumbnail you can watch the gears for hours. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
As it's a .gif file my avatar should show the gears in action but either I'm uploading it incorrectly, the file is too big or the forum won't allow them. Drag and drop in the message box works though. If you click on the thumbnail you can watch the gears for hours. :)
Another member (possibly Bexhillian) has a perpetual motion goldfish, perhaps he could give you the size and settings used for his avatar.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts