Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another member (possibly Bexhillian) has a perpetual motion goldfish, perhaps he could give you the size and settings used for his avatar.
Thanks Derek. I've looked at the properties of Bexhillian's avatar which is a little smaller than mine. Changing mine to the same size made no difference, it still only displays as a static picture. I've now tried experimenting, just on my PC, and found that reducing the size of the file or reducing the display size to anything less than its original 480x480 pixels results in a static picture. Since the max avatar size is 140x140 pixels it looks like this particular file cannot be made to work on this forum - at least, not by me. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well, I just double-clicked on the large thumbnail in post no 19, and a window opened with a working animation..... so it can be done. Dunno what's different for me...perhaps its because I use a Mac and am on Safari.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I just double-clicked on the large thumbnail in post no 19, and a window opened with a working animation..... so it can be done. Dunno what's different for me...perhaps its because I use a Mac and am on Safari.
Yes, that one works because it's full size at 480x480 pixels - it's not Mac Magic. :) When I reduce the size for the avatar the animation no longer functions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Radio unit (Amundsen 1) removed but test drive aborted due to sudden onset of rain/hail shower of Biblical proportions. By the time it was over the car was too warm to continue the test.
did you find this rattle?

my new to me yeti has the same rattle by the sounds of it

I found it stopped when I pressed on the windscreen centre vent on the right hand side edge

it sounds like a rattle/crackle

I wonder if I can access the vent from under the storage bin in the dash centre?

how did you remove this from the dash?

thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
For the time being I have abandoned trying to find the source of the rattle. Another test run with the Amundsen unit removed showed it was not that.
Then I thought I had found the source as two of the four screws securing the Climatronic Unit (J255) were loose. Tightening the screws made no difference.
I still think the rattle comes from inside the heater/air con unit. Removing that means taking out the centre console and entire dashboard first, so I have put everything back together.

To remove the storage bin first remove the rubber mat. That exposes two T20 Torx screws near the front. Undo them and then just lift the whole thing out, front edge first.
The central vent unit is now exposed and you can push it out of the dashboard by getting your fingers in the foam sealed joint.
You will need to have the ignition off (key out) as you need to disconnect the hazard flasher switch and passenger airbag light. Push the switch and light out of the vent unit and plug them back in BEFORE switching on the ignition again. If you switch on the ignition with these disconnected it will generate a fault code and the airbag light will not go out. VCDS or similar will then be required to clear the codes. Same procedure for replacing the vent and switch and light.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks it’s the windscreen cent and where the PIR or GPS sensor sits (I assume but mine doesn’t have either) which is rattling

I think if I remove the centre glove box I might be able to get my hand in if not I’ll push some felt tape in and squirt some silicone in

I also noticed above the clicks 2 strips of plastic whic my I assume the previous owners put in there to stop a rattle

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ah, my mistake but you did say centre vent. The part you describe is the sunlight penetration sensor.
Yes, just remove the dash top stowage box and then you can push out the sensor and unplug it. ⛵

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Will mine have a sensor I don’t have auto lights / wipers?
It looks like just a blank?
The wiper and lights sensor is not on the dash, but in the windscreen mirror mount.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The sensor is for the Climatronic system - heating and air con with auto control. Since your is a blank I infer your car has a different heater system.
Same method to remove the blank.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
When someone mentioned foreign objects in the air vents, it reminded me of getting my own back on one of the engineers for greasing my door handles.
It was a Ford Sierra. If you make a funnel to cover the air vents, you can fit a surprising amount of bean bag polystyrene balls into each vent, with the ignition off, turn the blower setting to max and aim vents carefully.

Bizarrely - blowing polystyrene balls like this gives them a massive static charge which makes them adhere to everything, especially the driver, rubbing them to try to get them off, makes it worse.
I wish cameras were as common place back then as they are now, everyone including the boss was in hysterics, that is everyone apart from one engineer :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
just removed th middle glove box and it there is a wire so it’s not a blank. looks like it’s this wire which was making the noise

hopefully that’s it sorted

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
When someone mentioned foreign objects in the air vents, it reminded me of getting my own back on one of the engineers for greasing my door handles.
It was a Ford Sierra. If you make a funnel to cover the air vents, you can fit a surprising amount of bean bag polystyrene balls into each vent, with the ignition off, turn the blower setting to max and aim vents carefully.

Bizarrely - blowing polystyrene balls like this gives them a massive static charge which makes them adhere to everything, especially the driver, rubbing them to try to get them off, makes it worse.
I wish cameras were as common place back then as they are now, everyone including the boss was in hysterics, that is everyone apart from one engineer :)
We were always messing around at work, and one time after an electrician played a trick on the joiner who was with us, he poured a pint of milk down the vents on the electricians Sherpa van.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
The quote in the post above was not fully displayed, it was compressed and the lower edge greyed out rather like the default setting for a signature line, weird.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Happens to all longer quotes I think. A feature of the new platform? Probably a good one?
There is “click to expand” if you want to see the full quote. Or even go back to the original via the green arrow in a circle.......

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never contributed on here before but can fully sympathise with the originator. Had the same thing with intermittent vibration/rattle from front passenger area which Skoda couldn't hear (let alone trace) despite 3 visits to dealer. Was fine on smooth tarmac but persistent when driving over concreted or rough tarmac type roads. Drove me nuts and tried everything on here (though I'm not so confident as to be taking the dash apart). Finally, I noticed a lever inside the glovebox almost hidden at the top with "Open" which controls the air supply to the glovebox (never noticed it before). I pulled the vent fully open and the vibration now seems to have disappeared. Coincidence? - maybe, but also worth trying for anyone reading this who may be suffering the same problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found my rattle - it was a lightbulb which had fallen behind the dash and was rattling against the windscreen...

the joy of used cars...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I pulled the vent fully open and the vibration now seems to have disappeared. Coincidence? - maybe, but also worth trying for anyone reading this who may be suffering the same problem.
Hi Cypry welcome in from the shadows, you might have just saved someone's sanity.
Sadly no sanity saved here from Cypry's post. One of my tests was to drive the car with the whole glove box removed and the rattle was still present. The rattle only occurs between 2/3 and 5/6 miles when driven from cold so it's only mildly annoying. I have checked under the gear stick gaiter and behind what used to be the ashtray for loose bits but none found.
I still think the noise comes from the HVAC unit. Maybe some more investigation next week.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts