Yeti Owners Club banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Sadly no sanity saved here from Cypry's post. One of my tests was to drive the car with the whole glove box removed and the rattle was still present. The rattle only occurs between 2/3 and 5/6 miles when driven from cold so it's only mildly annoying. I have checked under the gear stick gaiter and behind what used to be the ashtray for loose bits but none found.
I still think the noise comes from the HVAC unit. Maybe some more investigation next week.
I suggested before that there may be a foreign object down vent before (was known somewhere that an owner had same and found cotton bud down vent, either from previous owner trying to clean and it dropped in, or child poking it down).
Have you tried putting the blower on cold at fastest speed and opening a single vent at a time, just to see if anything makes noise or blows out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi bryetian and fellow contributors. I have followed your fault from inception and feel a lot of sympathy for you. I have had an ongoing similar rattle problem. My low-mileage 14 plate 2ltr TDI Yeti Outdoor Elegance is brilliant and ticks all my boxes - apart from the annoying rattle. Oddly it seems to either disappear or is quite subdued after a period of heavy rain, or a jet wash or professional valet - but returns a couple of days later, when I assume whatever the source is, has dried out. It is clearly heard when the engine is under load but it doesn't alter frequency with the car's speed, and disappears when I declutch to change gears. The local Skoda franchise have had the car in 3 times (8 days in all) and have not located the rattle which sounds like 2 pipes(?)/components rattling together from the inner dashboard. Several Octavia owners (on another site) have indicated the source may be near the heat matrix... The franchise have now said the dashboard needs to be replaced (at cost approx £1300) but will not offer any further detail. It is clear that the innards of a dash must have hundreds of components, so I am not convinced, and believe I'm being fobbed off or they are trying to frighten me off further with the cost. They say they have had the dash completely out but again I'm not convinced. Not sure if this will help you and hope you eventually find and cure it. I still live in hope that my rattle can be fixed....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, Just a quick update. Having had my Yeti 3 times into the nearest Skoda dealer, without the rattle being cured, I wrote to Skoda UK, who have been brilliant. After some Covid delayed emails, my Yeti was booked into Hendy Skoda at Bournemouth for a look-see. It turns out the solution was a clutch pipe which had come loose from its fitting and was rattling against the chassis. They took the glove compartment out and secured the pipe and bingo, no more noise. Great job Hendy Skoda.
Some of the forum contributors suggested that air con pipes might be the cause - this cure might be the solution for one owner still struggling to eliminate a rattle.

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Thanks for the update. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Just goes to show how hard some look for a problem. (even if it is difficult to find)
I had 2 windscreens changed on a brand new golf (not the last one i had) because of wind noise, then they finally found grommitts missing in the bulkhead that was causing wind noise.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Some of the forum contributors suggested that air con pipes might be the cause - this cure might be the solution for one owner still struggling to eliminate a rattle.
This is interesting information - thank you. Glad you finally got yours fixed.

In response I've had a poke about with the A/C pipes under the bonnet. I found some play in the return pipe from evaporator to compressor in the area under the coolant expansion bottle.
The pipe has rubber sleeves in that area but I can still feel/hear that the pipe bumps against the engine mount or adjacent structure when I give it a wiggle. As a test I've used a couple of cable ties to put some sideways strain on the pipe; just enough to eliminate the slight movement.
I will test this next time I use the Yeti. I avoid using it for short trips so that may be a while.
I will also test for the rattle with A/C switched off as that is something I have not thought to try previously.
Since the rattle goes away after a few miles and I've long suspected the HVAC unit as the source, this possibility is worth chasing. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oddly, the parking ticket clip on my windscreen has recently developed a rattle. It stops if I press on it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case! It's just the sort of simple but overlooked thing that could cause something like this.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
Perhaps pushing on the clip stops something else rattling, it is easy to get the A pillar trim off. There are metal spring clips on the trim that go into a keyhole shaped slot (top hole in picture). Get hold of the bottom of the trim and slide it up towards the roof to remove it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Perhaps pushing on the clip stops something else rattling, it is easy to get the A pillar trim off. There are metal spring clips on the trim that go into a keyhole shaped slot (top hole in picture). Get hold of the bottom of the trim and slide it up towards the roof to remove it.

View attachment 4166
In this case I'm fairly sure it's the clip itself tapping on the glass, as putting paper underneath mutes it. However, your point about the trim is useful as I've recently hardwired a dashcam and tucked the wire in after carefully trying and failing to remove the trim. Now I know the holes are keyhole shaped it makes more sense. Do you have a higher resolution version of that photo, by any chance? It would be useful to know 100% that the wiring does not obstruct the airbags.

I also realise that tucking the dashcam wire in probably let to the new rattle - I'll investigate at some point.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
From memory the ticket clip is held on with a screw, so perhaps yours just needs a tighten. Below is a link to the thread on fitting a dash cam in case it is of use, and also a picture of mine with the A trim removed. The layout of my airbags differed to those in the thread, mine were much easier to avoid. Having posted the picture, the clip screw is visible.

link to dashcam thread here

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This is interesting information - thank you. Glad you finally got yours fixed.

In response I've had a poke about with the A/C pipes under the bonnet. I found some play in the return pipe from evaporator to compressor in the area under the coolant expansion bottle.
The pipe has rubber sleeves in that area but I can still feel/hear that the pipe bumps against the engine mount or adjacent structure when I give it a wiggle. As a test I've used a couple of cable ties to put some sideways strain on the pipe; just enough to eliminate the slight movement.
I will test this next time I use the Yeti. I avoid using it for short trips so that may be a while.
I will also test for the rattle with A/C switched off as that is something I have not thought to try previously.
Since the rattle goes away after a few miles and I've long suspected the HVAC unit as the source, this possibility is worth chasing. :)
I had to go out to fetch a pint of milk, the long way round, so the Yeti has had it's post "fix" road test - - - - which was successful. No more rattle for the first 3 or 4 miles from cold start. :)

Yeti AC pipe and Cable Tie.jpg

Reactions: SnowGood and Robjon

·
Registered
41 Posts
From memory the ticket clip is held on with a screw, so perhaps yours just needs a tighten. Below is a link to the thread on fitting a dash cam in case it is of use, and also a picture of mine with the A trim removed. The layout of my airbags differed to those in the thread, mine were much easier to avoid. Having posted the picture, the clip screw is visible.

link to dashcam thread here

View attachment 4169
Thanks for this, really useful and I see just what you mean about the clip screw.

Bryetian - sorry for hijacking your thread!

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
The trim is easy to remove, just keep an eye on the top so it does not mark the headlining as you slide it up, refitting just push it on (might need a gentle thump).

41 - 53 of 53 Posts