Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In various threads around the forum there are mentions of faulty rear discs and their replacement. I am unclear as to what the problem with them is. In my case the front discs are smooth and polished from the outer edge to virtually the centre. The rears however are scored, not well polished with a noticeable rust band on the outer and inner edge where the pads don't reach. It seems the rear brakes are very lightly used. Is this others experience?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My in-laws Yeti only does 200 miles per month so is stood under the carport most of the time, I had a look yesterday and the discs are all clean.If there are scores on the disc then thatusuallymeans the pads are worn down to therivets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi IggOut of interest have you ever changed the front pads, and how many miles have you covered?
It may be worth you having the brakecallipersserviced also, if the pistonsthat push the pads are sticking they may need freeing up.
I would have the rear brakes checked every time the front pads need changing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ~ I found the rear disks showing scoring at just over 4000 miles . Took my Greenline Yeti (8 months old) to the dealer and got the runaround with the talk that Skoda would not replace. My friend's Yeti Greenline with 18,000 mls has nice polished rear disks ... hum.I've worked on cars for years and never seen that at such a low mileage... hence my visit to the Dealer but with no joy.
I told them that when I come in for my 10,000 mile service, - if they say I need new rear disks I will kill them !
I have photographed the rear disks and mileage and will keep an eye on them.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if your problem may be related to the grit that gets placed on your roads in winter?
When you turn on the front wipers the ABS automatically applies the brakes very lightly to wipe the disks clean. It repeats this process at intervals while your wipers are activated to wipe off any water or other contaminants that get thrown up by the wheels during driving. It is only a slight pressure so you won't feel it happening. If your disks are coated with fine grit particles then the grit may act as an abrasive between the pads and the disks until it is wiped off, or worse, embeds itself slightly into the pad material. This may explain why you are getting scoring on the disks. As for the salt content of the grit, well this will play havoc with any bare metal surfaces, ie brake disks, as far as rust is concerned. It would also explain why Skoda view this as a product of ordinary wear and tear and therefore is not covered by the warranty.
You seem to have just come through a particularly bad winter so with all the extra grit on the road, maybe the problem has just become even more noticeable?
Just my view on the topic.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
3 Posts
See your point about gritting of the roads, - though that is logical, my friend who also has a Greenline Yeti 1 year old, now 18,000 mls, and lives in the same area as me, has perfect mirror finish rear discs, just like his and my front ones.
We are fortunate that the past winter has been kind in southwest Scotland with minimal snow and little need for gritting the roads.
Over the years I have never seen rear disks scoring so early as my Yeti shows, even after renewing disks myself on various cars in the area I live.
Thanks for your comments.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
plbxr said:
When you turn on the front wipers the ABS automatically applies the brakes very lightly to wipe the disks clean. It repeats this process at intervals while your wipers are activated to wipe off any water or other contaminants that get thrown up by the wheels during driving. It is only a slight pressure so you won't feel it happening. If your disks are coated with fine grit particles then the grit may act as an abrasive between the pads and the disks until it is wiped off, or worse, embeds itself slightly into the pad material. This may explain why you are getting scoring on the disks. As for the salt content of the grit, well this will play havoc with any bare metal surfaces, ie brake disks, as far as rust is concerned. It would also explain why Skoda view this as a product of ordinary wear and tear and therefore is not covered by the warranty.
You seem to have just come through a particularly bad winter so with all the extra grit on the road, maybe the problem has just become even more noticeable?
Just my view on the topic.
Really? Can you provide evidence of this, because I can't find anything about it in the Handbook.

My rear discs were replaced at 55k, which is good.

Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There seems to be various differing experiences regarding rear brakes.After washing the car yesterday by the time I had finished and leathered off, all the discs had started to show rust, so unless I go for a spin to clean them off rust will set in more heavily, taking more use to clear later.
This may have happened on previous cars, but not having had such open alloy wheels before it wasn't so obvious.
Thanks for the interest.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Llanigraham said:
Really? Can you provide evidence of this, because I can't find anything about it in the Handbook.
It isn't in the handbook or in any Skoda publication. I discovered it while tinkering in the ECU with VCDS which gave me a pop-up dialog box with an explanation of it. I also discovered that my Yeti is electronically speed limited to 250km/h. I almost fell out of my seat with laughter when I read this as it's a 1.2 motor. Apparently the speed limiter can ONLY be lowered and it's non-reversible!!!!! I left that one alone.
But.... I have found an animated video that explains the brake wipe function. It is about an Audi but they are VAG vehicles like Skoda. Another case of shared functions amongst the VAG group.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n99lNA0ItA

...and articles mentioning brake wipe assist:
http://www.aant.com.au/Motoring/TechnicalAdvice/FAQs/BrakeSystemsMaintenance.aspx
http://www.vicalfonsoblogs.com/2011/2012-cadillac-srx-wrings-extra-benefit-from-stabilitrak-auto-dry-brakes-wipe-rotors-to-improve-brake-feel-in-soggy-conditions/

I hope this helps.
P.S. I had a look at your town (Llanidloes)
on Streetview. It's a very nice place. It looks like it's in a scenic part of Wales.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have just taken delivery of my new Yeti 2.0 140 Elegance.

Not had much time to play with it yet but my previous car was a Mazda MX-5 bought nearly new. The rear disks - to my eyes were heavily scored and not completely wiped by the pads (outer 1 x cm on n/s not polished). This was mentioned at both the services the car had but was told it was 'normal'. The pads also stuck to the disks if hand brake on hard in wet weather - dealer 'cleaned' everything but the disks were still very rough. Fronts fine so not just a Yeti issue I fear.

Good luck

Grumpy

·
Registered
73 Posts
when discs have scored up like that ,there is not much you can do. probably caused by road grit or similar. you could try taking the pads out and take the high spots off with wet and dry on a hard flat surface eg plate glass.

new rear discs (mintex) aprox £40

brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts