Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all...
So, its my first winter as a Yeti owner... She starts well, stops well drives good and has the usual "Faulty Bulb" warning lamp sometimes...

Now, we have some pretty cold weather here at the mo.. -5 to -10 °c.. For the past couple of days, if I leave my car parked with the handbrake on for 4 or 5 hours, when I return, one of the rear brakes is stuck on! If I drive for a KM or so and stop, there is a strong smell of Brake pad and the wheel is warm ( the other side is cool)...
So, I can only think of 3 things it could be....
1..Water in the brake fluid at the affected caliper... ( Un-likely)
2...Water in the Brake cable that serves the affected side..
3...Water on the caliper that has simply frozen....

Now, if it was #3, I would have thought that once the water has thawed, it will evaporate and no longer cause this issue... ( I live at the bottom of a very long hill, so I brake quite heavily before I get home, so the water shouldnt gather.....

Anyone got any thoughts? Replace Brake disks and pads? ( only 100€ job)
I am at a bit of a loss

TIA
Geoff
2011 Greenline, 1.6tdi..

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a similar situation recently and it turned out to be a damaged brake pad.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Geoff

How long since the pads were last changed and the caliper pistons "exercised" by being pushed back and turned before fresh pads were fitted?
is there any corrosion on the disc swept surfaces? Inner face particularly? Causing the pads to bind?
Have the pads been removed recently, and then replaced? With the some Ceratec lubricant on the pad "ears" where they mate onto the caliper and pad carrier brackets?

The latter would be my first action. Coupled with winding the pistons back to give them some exercise.
Then pushing back out to meet the pads using the foot brake pedal, after replacing the pads.
While you have the rear wheels off the ground. Apply the parking brake, then release. Then check if the disc still rotates freely?
All these are checks and regular maintenance I do at least annually. Usually when swapping from winter to summer wheels and tyres. They are checks seldom done by dealers however. As they rarely work on cars more than 4-5 years old. Depends on the dealer.

That said, I prefer DIY servicing, not least because I can then ensure jobs like these are done properly, not skimped. If not equipped for DIY yourself, I would recommend a reliable independent mechanic, who is not interested in selling you a new car. Just maintaining your existing one.

The rear pads are prone to sticking on all cars with rear disc brakes. Because they get so little "use" during normal driving. Only 20% or less of the braking effort is at the rear.

Reactions: bryetian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!! I will strip the back end and replace the discs and pads.. giving the Caliper a thorough cleaning and a good sqirt of silicon spray up the brake cable sleeve!

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Thank you!! I will strip the back end and replace the discs and pads.. giving the Caliper a thorough cleaning and a good sqirt of silicon spray up the brake cable sleeve!
Probably a good idea! What sort of condition are the discs at the moment? If already worn, scored or corroded at all, then definitely a Good Idea anyway. (y)

Three words of caution / tips:

1) If not already in possession of one, you'll need a piston wind-back tool for the rear calipers. Not expensive. In UK, places like Halfords sell them. Or online. The rear calipers require the pistons to be rotated (clockwise works!) as they are pushed back. So squeezing the traditional cheap way, using a pair of plumber's water pump pliers, doesn't work. The use of a proper wind-back tool also helps overcome the resistance from the parking brake mechanism inside the caliper too. As does popping open the brake hydraulic bleed nipple as you wind back.

2) Depending which model Yeti you have, the rear disc diameters differ. The smaller diameter discs can be removed easily, while leaving the pad carrier brackets in place on the hub. I have yet to try the larger discs myself (fitted on my second Yeti). But experience from other owners suggests the larger discs do need the brackets removed. The brackets are secured to the hubs by female spline headed bolts that are notoriously tight. High torque and thread locked in place. Not helped by the springs getting un the way of attaching a spline head socket and breaker bar.

3) When buying the discs and matching pads, many UK sellers, like Euro Car Parts or CarParts4Less, list all the alternative disc diameters for every model. Even when you specify a specific vehicle registration. So best to check yours first. This list of the common alternatives may help with the selection?

Yeti Brake Disc Sizes and caliper type denomination Production Years 2009 to 2012+
VariantTSi 1.2TDi 2.0 CRTSi 1.4TDi 2.0 CRTDi 2.0 CRTDi 2.0 CRTDi 2.0 CRTSi 1.8TDi 2.0
Transmission2WD2WD2WD4x44x44x44x44x44x4
Power output (ps)105/110110?110140140170?150
2009 on2009 on2009 onPre wk45 2009?Wk45 2009-on2009 - 2014Wk45 2010-onmid-2015 on
Front disc type:ventedventedventedventedventedventedventedventedvented
diameter:280280280280288288312288280 / 288?
thickness (new)222222222525252522
thickness (min.)19191919????19
Front caliper
ManufacturerBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschAte 582VL
Caliper type15” FS-III15” FS-III15” FS-III15” FS-III15” FN315” FN316” FN315” FN3(VAG VCF251)
Rear disc type:solidsolidsolidsolidsolidsolidsolidsolidsolid
diameter:253253272272286272272272272
thickness (new)101010101210101010
thickness (min.)8888?8888
Rear caliper
ManufacturerTRWTRWBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschBoschunknown
Caliper type15” C38 15” C38 15” BIRIII15” BIRIII16” CII 4115” BIRIII15” BIRIII15” BIRIIIsimilar to Bosch

Reactions: SnowGood

·
Registered
192 Posts
After every bath time my yetis rear pads will stick to the discs after parking up for the night. They come of with a clunk when next driven but no further problems. Me thinks it is suction prob after leaving overnight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, I can only think of 3 things it could be....
1..Water in the brake fluid at the affected caliper... ( Un-likely)
2...Water in the Brake cable that serves the affected side..
3...Water on the caliper that has simply frozen....
With regards to number 2 have you left the car parked without engaging the handbrake. As the problem has started with the cold weather it is certainly a possibility and so easy to eliminate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts