Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.
I have a red 140 4x4 with the rough road pack and just 3500 miles on the clock. Given the weather I didn't wash the beast for a a couple of weeks. On getting the thing clean I noticed that the plastic film looked like it had been lightly shot blasted. Ok, it's doing its job, but the door paint forward of the protective film is also starting to show a number of white flecks where the paint is chipping.
I'm going to drop in and see what the dealer says, but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the exact same problem in 2010 with mine chipping on the arches and door, I phone skoda who said there was not a problem, by the time I took it back to the dealer they had the plastic strip for the arches theyobviouslyknew there was a problem. The dealer fitted and re- sprayed the arches and doors FREE of course .

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have noted that my Corida Red Yeti (2 weeks old0) has already picked up a couple of stone chips and wonder how durable this red paint is.
Have just ordered a touch up paint.
Hope this is not a growing trend!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer it's a known problem since 2010 mine is corida red too :( Worst Skoda I've owned and I've had a few

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks West1 I will certainly do so. Have also developed an annoying rattle from the instrument panel area. So far not the best Skoda experience and I'm beginning to think getting rid of my 2003 Renault Laguna may have been a big mistake

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I was wondering what brand and type of tyres you have fitted?

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its running on Pirellis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, finally got round to button holing the dealer over rear door paint chips.
Their workshop guy scratched his beard and started on the "warranty" mumbo jumbo.

So he arranged for a body shop assessor to have a gawk. Who, after due gawking, stated that:

"its not really a fault as such, the paint is OK, but there looks to be a design fault in how the bodywork pokes out beyond the area shielded by the mud flaps"

He went on about low pressure vorticies along the side of the vehicle (all of which I probably know more about than him).

He continued: "they obviously know about it, hence they now put the protective film on all of these".

So now I await the decision as to whether its warantyable or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i dont think its a specific problem with the colour .it appears to be an issue with all modern cars . the paint is rubbish. water based i believe. the car design might not help though.

brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
bandh said:
i dont think its a specific problem with the colour .it appears to be an issue with all modern cars . the paint is rubbish. water based i believe. the car design might not help though.

brian
Hi Brian I've had a few Skoda's now Fabia's and Octavia's and currently have a Fabia estate which is about 2 years old with no sign of any chipping nither did any of the rest I've also had a couple of VW passat estates as well with no chipping along the BOTTOM of THE DOORS. My Yeti probably started chipping along the doors as it left the showroom but I didn't notice for a month or so when I was giving it a good polish. My Yeti is a 2.0d Elegance 170 bhp. I'm sure there is someone out there that know's what the problem is, it's not happening to all of the Yeti's. The bubbling on mine I've seen posts elsewherementions Zinc Inclusions ?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
A message for all Yeti owners with paint chipping along the bottom of the doors,I have modified my Skoda fitted front mud flaps by about 90mm in length and now there is no mud or stones being thrown along the bottom of the doors clean as a whistle. pitty Skoda haven't looked into modifying them and fitting them to affected models.Edited by: West1

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
Was that by attaching something along the bottom, or sandwiching something between them and the bodywork? You could post a DIY picture to inspire others. I get far less muck on the bodywork with my winter tyres which are 215 rather than 225. I often wonder if some bristles around the arch as with lorries might help, but they would not look very good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bought cheap rally mud flaps about £12 a pair,removed originals used black ct1 to stick and fill some of the void at the back and then used small screws to attach both together. I'll take another picture and post later. I've extended by about 90mm could be less but didn't have time to see what the minimum could be, but this WORKS not sure if it's the length that's helped or the width being extended down ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will post a picture of the way I've fitted them when the Mrs brings the car home,only takes about an hour to do.Although I don't do off roading I've not had any problems with speed humps etc. they possibly don't need to be this length.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Skoda dealer told me it's the width of the wheels , Skoda wanted them to look chunky apparently ! I'm not sure why Skoda haven't modified the mud flaps so that they don't have the expense of respraying the cars every 6 months and having unhappy customers.

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
West1 said:
My Skoda dealer told me it's the width of the wheels , Skoda wanted them to look chunky apparently ! I'm not sure why Skoda haven't modified the mud flaps so that they don't have the expense of respraying the cars every 6 months and having unhappy customers.

Skoda's answer was to fit foils to all Yeti rear doors. Even 10mm less width with the tyres makes a big difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
West1 said:
I would take it back to the dealer it's a known problem since 2010 mine is corida red too :( Worst Skoda I've owned and I've had a few

Is this paint chipping a known problem with Skoda Yetis? Do I get mudflaps fitted to my new yeti when I order it and modify them like West1 has

Or is it a problem because Corrida Red is one of the solid colours and metallic paints are ok

Advice please. Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Hood said:
West1 said:

Skoda's answer was to fit foils to all Yeti rear doors. Even 10mm less width with the tyres makes a big difference.

So have the oils only been fitted in recent years and the new FL yeti I order will be ok?

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Is this paint chipping a known problem with Skoda Yetis? Do I get mudflaps fitted to my new yeti when I order it and modify them like West1 has

Or is it a problem because Corrida Red is one of the solid colours and metallic paints are ok

Advice please. Thanks[/QUOTE]

The foils used to be an extra but became standard, I cannot comment on the F/L but it would be a backward step to discontinue them. Definitely eitherhave flaps fitted or fit them yourself, it is not a difficult job and there is an Irish Skoda dealer who sells them cheap for the classic Yeti, again I cannot comment for the F/L. The lower rear corner of the back door also forms part of the rear wheel arch. I have had mine filled solid with sand when in Cornwall.

http://www.skodapartsireland.ie/search,i.html?q=yeti+mud+flaps&manufacturer=SKODA

1 - 20 of 39 Posts