Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yeti Elegance purchased last year. Only the rear offside fog light works, although the nearside fog light has a good bulb in it. When switched on a yellow light icon appears in the dash which suggests a fault, but my dealer, new to the franchise, says this is all as it should be. Anyone have experience of this please?

·
Registered
786 Posts
He's correct! There's another thread on the forum about this - I'll see if I can find it...

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
HiMine is the same, there is a bulb, but the wiring between the bulb and the loom is not fitted and the connecter is different. If you were in Europe it would be the same but the other way round. If you were to fit the missing wiring to get both sides working you would need to get the CanBus system re programed as the "signature would be different. I am not sure if a dealer would know how to do this
I took mine apart to have a look, I am currently undecided whether to pay for a tow bar to be fitted, or do it myself. If I did fit my own tow bar I would sort the rear fog light at the same time using VCDS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Regarding the use of 2 rear fog lights, I am not convinced they are the safe way to go. From many years of motorway driving I note that the intensity of the brake lights are 'overshadowed' by bright fogs meaning that the following vehicle may not notice braking as quickly as they should due to blinding fogs. The third light is not always, relativity, bright enough and as we all know most vehicles travel too close in fog. Just a thought before you make a change. Maybe it is even an EU requirement for only one, anyone know?

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
My last car (a Mazda) and my wife's current car (a Ford) both have/had two working rear fog lights. I think it is the old story if you can save a pound making one car you can save a small fortune overall. I suspect the single rear fog is the minimum requirement. It also means when I go to Germany the single rear fog is on the nearside.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
The legal requirement (in the UK) is that a vehicle only needs the off-side rear fog light illuminated. To get the other one illuminated is not a simple job, and not just a VCDS "tweek" either. It requires a bit of electronic trickery and a relay.

To the OP,
Is the light on the dash, the "Bulb failure" light or rear fog warning light?
(Check the manual!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like an opportunity for a new dash switch "UK"/"ROW" is needed to switch between port and starboard rear fogs :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just happened across your post re rear fog(s) and fitting towbar. When I ordered our Yeti I specifically requested a flange fit detachable. The vehicle was delivered with a Skoda approved Westfalia swan neck. I had the full 13 pin Skoda electrics fitted by dealer which are warranted. Eventually I sourced the Witter towbar flange fit and it was fitted. I was told that the fog light if working would void the warranty, as resetting the kmh matrix. If the wiring for the trailer electrics are not correct the rear sensors will not react correctly to the trailer/bike rack etc and anti theft. The standard electrics if tampered with will throw up numerous faults and I am told Skoda will not entertain any claims. Accepting this is in part Skoda securing their sales I do not consider that taking the short cut or tampering with electrics at all worthwhile on any warranted vehicle.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
I agree whilst the vehicle is under warranty it is wise not to make any physical or permanent changes . With the MPH KPH issue it is easy to change with VCDS but I actually changed mine back again, as although you can gain an MPH display other abilities are lost. If you did change the display to MPH and were nervous about what the garage might say, you could always change it back again with VCDS, also you can still swap back to KPH via the Maxidot and the garage would be none the wiser.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
After reading this thread I was also interested as to why the difference with manufacturers between one or two rear fog lamps. I found this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting :

Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance
information not available from a single lamp. Proponents of the single
rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of
illuminated stop lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs),
reducing the conspicuity of the stop lamps' message when the rear fogs
are activated. To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being
confused with stop lamps, UN Regulation 48 requires a separation of at
least 10cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and
any rear fog lamp.<sup id="cite_ref-R48_18-21" ="reference"="">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#cite_note-R48-18</sup>

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good find thanks plbxr. Looks like a mix of philosophy, style, economics and and legislation for the choice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts