Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just below each headlamp on my Yeti there are small rectangular panels that look like those used where the towing eye is inserted i.e. it looks like they could be popped out for some reason. I'm wondering what they are for. Anyone know?

·
Registered
353 Posts
They are the headlight washers I believe. From memory they work every 6th time you wash the windscreen.

Happy to be corrected if I've misremembered that!
It's good sport to get small grandchild to check on them working 😱

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
From my manual.
""Headlight cleaning system
After the ignition is switched on, the headlights are always cleaned at the first and after every tenth spray of the windscreen when the low beam or main beam is switched on.""

Reactions: Rumik

·
Registered
394 Posts
The unexpected woosh of water can be so very funny. I was with a bunch of AG students, seeing irrigation for the first time. The spray works it way across the field, hits a limit, then shoots back to cover the next swathe. They wondered why we stepped back as it reached the limit...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - after your responses I watched the video on Youtube and was amazed. The Yetri seems to be chock full of motorized gadgetry!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The Yetri seems to be chock full of motorized gadgetry
Just for added interest - or maybe not, the washers aren't motorised. Water pressure extends them against a spring which retracts then when the water flow ceases.
On the Audi TT forum they are referred to as "Aliens".

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
Just for added interest - or maybe not, the washers aren't motorised. Water pressure extends them against a spring which retracts then when the water flow ceases.
On the Audi TT forum they are referred to as "Aliens".
BMWs have (almost) an identical system. Headlamp washers extend under water pressure, then retract under spring pressure. Probably made by the same company? (Hella from memory?). The BMW's are very prone to age related plastic fatigue & going brittle. Then they crack. Even without an impact on the bumper. Then all the water gets pulled out of the reservoir the next time they get used, by syphon effect. Which is why many owners, me included, have disconnected them at the pump end. So don't keep "losing" all the washer water!

I suspect that is what may have happened to the OP? Cracked a washer jet in the minor impact, or its feed pipe? Rather than the washer bottle as such?

"Aliens" is a perfect analogy! They do look similar on emergence from the "body".

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
They probably need to fill the washer bottle then lay under the car and track the water flow back to its source.
And be prepared for a cold shower! :D

Reactions: The Hood

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Oops! Yup - Mea culpa there also. Conflating the two parallel threads.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It seems you two think your bottom is some where between shoulder and wrist :unsure:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hasn't this thread "gone off the rails". Boring!!!o_O
And I'll never understand why new OPs don't read the FM. :devilish:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I do read the manual for every car, but as I was used to nozzles for washing the headlights, one of my early posts back in 2014 when we bought our first Yeti was to ask why Skoda had put badly-fitted blanking plates under the headlights and I received a pleasant reply. Not everything is obvious at first. You should try reading the latest Octavia Mk 4 manual - good English, but not everything is explained clearly.

Reactions: Ruari

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
And I'll never understand why new OPs don't read the FM. :devilish:
Nowadays all new Yeti owners will be buying used and the manual probably got kept or lost by the first/second/third owner, so unless they know where to find one on line, they probably don't have one to read.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts